Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Mp Update + New Voice Control Update

Views : 5089

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 15:53   #21
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Took about 15 mins to install.
Not noticed anything different, so far.

tem.
Other than the "I'm too hot" and "I'm too cold" commands not working for a while, I haven't seen any improvements reported over the last two years following voice control updates!!!

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:46   #22
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Other than the "I'm too hot" and "I'm too cold" commands not working for a while, I haven't seen any improvements reported over the last two years following voice control updates!!!

same here
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 11:54   #23
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post

Same here. I installed it yesterday and last night I asked it to turn on the heated screen: "Searching music and radio..."

It's no better (and possibly worse) than the voice system I had in a Honda 9 years ago. When the XC90 was launched Volvo promised 'natural language processing'. Really? Literally, the only commands that work reliably for me are the hot and cold ones.

On the plus side, it's a never-ending source of amusement for my passengers.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 12:08   #24
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Same here. I installed it yesterday and last night I asked it to turn on the heated screen: "Searching music and radio..."

It's no better (and possibly worse) than the voice system I had in a Honda 9 years ago. When the XC90 was launched Volvo promised 'natural language processing'. Really? Literally, the only commands that work reliably for me are the hot and cold ones.

On the plus side, it's a never-ending source of amusement for my passengers.
Exactly. It's pretty poor.

Voice command should be at the centre of the Sensus system, not the half-baked after-though it seems to be at the moment.

Possible that Volvo have stopped development with the alternative system in mind?
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 16:13   #25
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post

Possible that Volvo have stopped development with the alternative system in mind?
I suspect that the current hardware simply isn't nearly powerful enough to interpret voice commands reliably, especially in the noisy environment of a car.

Obviously Siri and Google Assistant have enormous processing resources behind them to do the hard work. Perhaps the next generation of Sensus will have a permanent real-time cloud connection for voice processing.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 16:36   #26
neon
Premier Member

Apart from the most basic commands gave up on voice control ages ago. Use it for temp and take me home. The times it does not work more than negate the time saving when it does.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 10:19   #27
Fursty Ferret

Just as a word of caution: the new map update (sort of) removed all the motorway service stations from the POI database. You can still find them with a search but they no longer show in the “interesting things ahead” section of the navigation system (next to the traffic problems coming up).

I quite liked this as I could plan rest stops easily.

Also, if you decide to do the full update on the move (the 46GB) one, you will lose the following functions while it’s in progress:

* navigation (fairly obviously)
* most Sensus interaction (pick the station you want before you begin)
* CarPlay / Android Auto
* auto speed limiter
* Bluetooth
* USB playback
* The media / phone / nav menu in the driver display.

On the bright side it only took 90 minutes to install. It still expects you to go around roundabouts the wrong way.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 20:40   #28
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
It still expects you to go around roundabouts the wrong way.
Are you serious? I am about to get a satnav that thinks I drive on the right?
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 11:23   #29
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
It still expects you to go around roundabouts the wrong way.
Mine doesn't.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 18:44   #30
GJB
Premier Member

Nor mine it is OK would try and download again.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote