Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LDV Maxus - any good ? parts & reliability

Views : 4083

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 16:09   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default LDV Maxus - any good ? parts & reliability

LDV Maxus. Big cheap vans, nothing to get excited about apart from the price.
My Q
What are the weak points ? What goes wrong ? What is spares supply like ?
I doubt theres any issue with service items, brakes etc, but what is the quirky bit that breaks ? All vehicles have a weak point, what is it ?
Anyone run one for a while ? Whats it like to own ?
I dont really want to hear that the VW etc is better, its also a lot more dosh.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 22:00   #2
Waynedance

Once failed one on a shocker, the chap had to get a second hand one as no new one available at the time.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 22:26   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Are you referring to the new Chinese Maxus or the older Birmingham derived Maxus?

I used to drive one all over the UK and ROI with little issue. It was the rear door handles that used to snap off that was an issue. However, like any LDV they required a little TLC. The vans that were thrashed by the other drivers suffered driveshaft and gearbox problems and the dual mass clutches were easily intimidated. I enjoyed driving mine and you can cram a fair amount in em. The parts and software is an issue on the older units but the owners clubs are pretty good and there’s always second hand parts available. The VM Diesel engine is robust enough and quite good on fuel.

The new Maxus although similar are a different van altogether, different engine etc. I know little about the new Maxus.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Sep 20th, 2018 at 22:40.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:11   #4
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I didnt know there is a new chinese maxus. I dont want it. I dont want anything chinese, except perhaps some grub now and then
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:12   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

I meant the 10 year old vans that can be had for a few hundred quid. Maybe go to 5 years old for not a lot more
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:25   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

The Maxus was an LDV and Daiwoo mishmash, the Daiwoo gearbox isn’t the greatest but as long as you don’t thrash it you should be ok. Just buy a good van first off. If it has faults, then walk away.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:27   #7
The Thong
VOC Member

Chinese Maxus

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ldv/v80

Seems it’s still running the VM lump, that’s a good start.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Sep 20th, 2018 at 23:29.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:44   #8
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
The Maxus was an LDV and Daiwoo mishmash, the Daiwoo gearbox isn’t the greatest but as long as you don’t thrash it you should be ok. Just buy a good van first off. If it has faults, then walk away.
always the way to proceed. Bangers just drain the bank, plenty around for mugs to buy.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:54   #9
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

seems like its the same van as the old model, just a few extra plastic bits. Trnsit sized van for runabout money, no frills. perfect for employees to be given, like it or lump it
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 00:06   #10
Dancake
Premier Member

Worked on a couple of LDV Maxus vans. The main issues I've encountered relate to high pressure fuel pumps and rust. The fuel pressure regulator on the HPFP can fail, causing rough running and bad fuel economy. Possibly an expensive fix unless you can find a good used pump. Rust can be a problem if it has been allowed to develop, so if you're looking at one make sure to check the underbody for corrosion.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post: