Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Euro4 D5 / 2.4D DPF or Sensor Issue ?

Views : 9269

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 20:17   #21
5cilinder
Premier Member

If you have that much leaking fuel , it will show in the injector correction figures and returnflow leak
Check this first
On the other hand if there is too much soot produktion the regen frequency will go up to counter it
Try to inspect the dpf with an endoscope to see if it sootplugged and/or meltingdamage
Lamda of 5 is less fuel instead of to much , with a working egr you cant get those lambdafigures (briefly with realising the throttle ) with egr off its possible on low loads to get a mixture that lean
By the way in regeneration the lambda is 1,5 ,because a too lean lambda will not get the dpf hot enough because the exces air wich will not burn will cool to much

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 22nd, 2016 at 20:22.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 20:27   #22
graemedench
spanner

Thanks for replying again and so fast! I will get pictures and figures etc of anything I can tomorrow evening. I'm probably getting to pessimistic.
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 20:35   #23
5cilinder
Premier Member

No ur doing fine . evenually you get to the (core)problem
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 17:36   #24
graemedench
spanner

Hi

Ok well did a little more testing, I'm not sure if my Heated oxygen sensor maybe has a fault, when I scan for codes etc it generally pops up with a connection fault, however whenever I clear it and run e.g. with this lot of testing it doesn't re-occur until I've unplugged something like the pressure sensor etc. I think its just logging it momentarily saw a fault.

I did a leak off test and all looks ok there all 5 injectors are leaking off pretty much Identical amounts of fuel at a slow rate, I used water bottles so I don't have a ml reading but its not a lot and there all the same.

Its still chucking out more smoke / soot than I'd think reasonable however I've never run one without the exhaust before so....

I also did a check on the DPF pressure sensor again as before calibrated in free air and then tapped on each side to check readings, Near identical to last time

Please see the attached photos of the info I collected during the tests, You'll see the pics of the DPF also, I had rinsed it out slightly by that point but not under any pressure

https://youtu.be/VfjMScAmHMk

https://youtu.be/1KdP5N01Uws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2921.jpg (192.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2923.jpg (287.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2924.jpg (156.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2928.jpg (140.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2929.jpg (140.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2930.jpg (190.9 KB, 33 views)
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 18:23   #25
5cilinder
Premier Member

You didnt mentioned earlier on that o2 sensor
That last picture is that regeneration or idle?
If it just idle the lamda is too high (with working egr)
if its regenerating the lamda is also to high and probably wont reach the needed regen temp/or the o2 is talking nonsens and will obstruct regeneration an other way
You complained that regeneration was aborted every time
The o2 sensor is used for a double check on the maf sensor to regulate regeneration and egr operation , if its malfunctioning it can prevent or messup regens also if the o2 gives wrong values to the ecu it can create extra soot because it can throttling too much and starve the fuel from needed o2
Fix that o2 sensor (itself or the wiring)

Fuelcorrections are ok the leakback value should be under 40 ml pro injector a minute at idle

Those dpf pressure values are messed up alternating that much, ill gamble a new or used sensor after the heat treatment the old one got and the bogus values it spews out
I hear some loud pulleys , replace them before they seize and break a belt and a few seconds later the engine

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jun 23rd, 2016 at 18:34.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 18:46   #26
graemedench
spanner

Hi many apologies the reason I didn't mention the O2 is because I've possibly wrongly assumed it was because I've unplugged it to get access etc.
I will double check the wiring to the O2 and also try source a known working replacement.
The DPF readings are strange because the DPF was not attached at the time.All those readings were at Idle with no DPF. Its too blocked now to run
The leak back is certainly below 40ml.

The strange thing with the pulleys is I've changed all the Idler wheels, the tensioner, the alternator freewheel. the only things left are the Power steering or the Air-con pump, the noise doesn't change with the ac on or off. But does Settle / go quickly, It must be the Power steering pump. although the noise doesn't vary with the steering either. Its on the list!

Last edited by graemedench; Jun 23rd, 2016 at 18:52.
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 19:14   #27
5cilinder
Premier Member

If you know for sure the dpf is blocked, you need to clean it , there are places where they bake it in an oven and blow the ash out for much less cash then a new one
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 19:33   #28
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

A few minor points, firstly a "Leak off" test only shows that the fuel supply to the injectors is correct, it's more of a test of the injection pump and rail system than the tips of the injectors. I've never done one to see if the injectors are gummed up, as it's far less work just to use a direct feed injection system cleaner.

Secondly disconecting any key engine sensor whilst the engine is running will log a fault code. The interesting part is to see which codes appear after the original set are deleted.
So if you don't have a code reader, make sure your local Indy (Volvo dealership if you have money to burn) quotes for one quick read and then a full print out after a test tun.

Thirdly if the DPF keeps causing a limp mode and caution light, then if a forced Regen does not improve things, either sell it or buy another aftermarket or scrap yard one. Although if you can do the work involved in removing a DPF, bashing out the ash, burning it with acid and pressure washing it, then it's worth a try.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2016, 21:52   #29
graemedench
spanner

Well I thought I'd try get a air readings on the intake side while the heated oxygen sensor was reading strangely however as you can see from the pics, it was reading fine grrr. Shook the wires about but couldn't get it to fault or anything. I've taken it out anyway, I will try some meter tests on my bench with it and also have a good check of the cables going to the ECU connector.

Skyship any input is always welcome you'll see through the previous posts we've established the DPF is clogged but now trying to determine why it clogged. hence just do a a basic injector test, that along with rpm and correction figures give a good indication if things are at least not too far wrong. This way when it gets replaced / repaired it wont instantly clog up again. Also I have a Vida software etc so I can get codes and senor values etc.

5cilinder has been extremely patient and methodical trying to work through this with me even though I've been a bit very annoying and missing out useful information at times (not on propose)

A new pressure sensor is definitely required also possibly a heated oxygen sensor (maybe cabling repair we'll see)

My intention is to get it sorted and then sold but I'd much rather sell it working correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2931.jpg (268.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2932.jpg (179.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2933.jpg (196.2 KB, 18 views)
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 01:48   #30
5cilinder
Premier Member

No no im not annoyed , youre the perfect person to help with such dedication and reporting back .

That lambda value of 1 seems a bit low and the difference between desired and measured airmass is only allowed if the engine is idling more then 2 minutes (ecm closes egr to prevent coking up)