Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breaking 1961 122S

Views : 6702

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 13:32   #21
dilip122S

Ah, did'nt realise the front panel and grilles were missing. These are very distinctive B16 features, and almost impossible to find. It does significantly reduce the liklihood of restoring the car to correct specification. What a shame. OK, don't want to let you down altogether, after getting your hopes up. I'll send you a PM.
dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 14:46   #22
amazondean
amazondean

Now the front panel is missing with that very rare grill it is a great shame, however this will make a very good car.
Dilip, On first inspection you will think the car is a pile of scrap but get underneath and look in all the usual places and you will see that especialy underneath it is quite amazing. Remember there is no hidden filler in this one so there is no worries there. I am pretty sure the engine which is a B18 has the rocker shaft and push rod assembly missing.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 19:35   #23
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

I've seen front panels with the early grilles pop up on Tradera a fair bit. That would be your best bet if you're going to take this car on I think.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:02   #24
Volvo_133
VOC member

I have a volvo 120 front pannel it doesnt have the holes at each side to screw the modern grills on, I believe this to be an old b16 front panel.
I currently have these old style grill surrounds for sale cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 13:11   #25
dilip122S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo_133 View Post
I have a volvo 120 front pannel it doesnt have the holes at each side to screw the modern grills on, I believe this to be an old b16 front panel.
I currently have these old style grill surrounds for sale cheers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT
Sorry, I don't know what these are off, but they look way too thin to be B16 grille surrounds, possibly 62-64 B18, which are completely different.

Take a look at the front grilles on my car above. Compare it to the picture of the early B18. The B16 front panel is totally different to the early b18, smaller openings, deeper grilles, and the grilles themselves are unique to the model. Even then, there were two slight variations on this design, to my knowledge,(and they both LOOK the same...) The front panels are being remade in Sweden, in GRP, not steel. The original grilles themselves are notoriously difficult to find.

While I'm on the subject, let me lay a couple of myths to rest. No B16 model ever left the factory fitted with a B18 type front panel. The fact that a lot of them have them NOW only proves how scarce the correct type is. Early B18's do NOT have the same grilles as B16's.

I'm off to double-check the auction site mentioned above, but I'll be very surprised indeed if early B16 type grilles come up all the time.

Last edited by dilip122S; Jan 3rd, 2010 at 13:23.
dilip122S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 10:26   #26
konio-nt

Car is still here, I will let it go for 250 pounds. Any takers?
konio-nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 01:02   #27
konio-nt

Oh dear, looks like I can't answer PM's now, as i have to have 30 posts
Car is provisionally sold to mysterious Lady Had to send you an e-mail on your MSN mail, as PM's stopped working for me...
konio-nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 17:43   #28
Amazonites
VOC Member

Well I've been called a few things in my time but never a mysterious lady!! ;-)

I'm so glad you hadn't parted with any more pieces of your old lady and now we'll hopefully have 2 of them on the road before too long!

I can't wait to get her home now!
Caron
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 19:40   #29
222s
Amazoniste

Glad to hear that it's going in one piece, and all the best for the rebuild. Now which one will you bring to the BKV this year?

(& will I still have the scruffiest estate there.....?)

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 23:10   #30
Amazonites
VOC Member

They'll have a seperate corner for us this year, your estate and the 2 scruffiest salloons!! (But dare I say, the most original?!)

Caron