Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Made it ! 1000 miles in France in a T6 XC90

Views : 1864

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 00:07   #1
fossway

Default Made it ! 1000 miles in France in a T6 XC90

Just returned from 10 days in France covering over 1000 miles in my petrol 53 plate XC90. Best car I have ever driven. Full to the rafters (didnt even need my roofbox thanks to the size of the load area) three kids in the back and not a murmer due to the roof mounted DVD player I had fitted. Average MPG was 20.4 but just like sitting in a leather sofa! The MPG was the same as a 4x4 sierra estate I owned a few years ago so didnt think it was too bad considering 270BHP etc. .....so there you go terrific car and if anyone thinks of buying one,please do !!
fossway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:48   #2
sumomeister

Couldn't agree more.

I did the same sort of trip back in May in my T6, I got same sort of mpg, with a roofbox so I'm obviously a more sensible driver than you
It was great, didn't notice the miles, or the weather. Was happy at whatever speed I drove even in quite heavy rain. Obviously sticking to the speed limits though.
sumomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:58   #3
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

the xc90 is a very underated motorway cruiser, I did over 1000 miles to devon and cornwall in a weekend, best long distance cruiser ever, so stable not affected by crosswinds, averaged 27mpg (d5) but running on v-power diesel which I have found gives much better performance but costs a couple of mpg.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 12:16   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

It's not affected by the side spray from lorries on the motorway in heavy rain either, so no loss of vision as you drive by. It's the only car I've ever driven that achive that.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:47   #5
Kwozzymodo

I too did the trip to France in the T6 - 7-up and a roofbox. I think the car must have weighed in at over 3 tonnes and we were getting 22mpg.
Kwozzymodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 18:28   #6
Bill Garner

What a pleasant surprise to see posts extolling the virtues of the XC90
I would echo every comment made. Lets see more posts from delighted
owners rather than the "worst car that Volvo make" brigade
Bill Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 21:04   #7
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I get that around town and i drive an S40

not too bad then! although I do get 35 on the Mway
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 21:29   #8
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Garner View Post
What a pleasant surprise to see posts extolling the virtues of the XC90
I would echo every comment made. Lets see more posts from delighted
owners rather than the "worst car that Volvo make" brigade
I agree - I have owned mine for a year now and I still love the driving experience - I like the xc90 more than any car I have owned - so much in fact that I am not phased by others negativity as I know my own mind on this.
Last three cars were supra bi-turbo - celica 190 - rav4 - and now xc90 exec nothing comes close to it for feeling of safety - practicality - sure footed ice and snow handling - supreme comfort and luxury - motorway solidity - huge load carrier - 7 seat people carrier - nice high and commanding driving position - and can even take it over the fields - every gadget from car phone to massaging seats - can even sleep in the back its so big. And still manages to deliver reasonable running costs despite being the best all rounder I have ever owned. test drove a shogun before buying the xc90 it was a dinosaur in comparison it handled like a tank and ran like a tractor.
So well done volvo - it was a design masterpiece so many years ahead of its time.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 21:46   #9
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Scotland - Austria - Scotland

We returned from our 2,500 mile round trip from Scotland to the Austrian Tyrol a couple of weeks ago. We do this every summer and we take the car back in the winter for the skiing (less mileage as we take the DFDS from Newcastle to Amsterdam in the winter).

In the summer there's five of us (all adults) plus all of our luggage.

It's the best car we've ever owned. We bought it new in 2006 and it's pampered by Clelands Volvo in the Borders.

Unrestricted autobahns are super to drive when the weather is dry. 100mph+ is really no problem and the car's not rattling under the strain.

Our plan is to hang onto our XC90 which has now covered 84,000. Great car which does everything we ask of it. Deep snow, people carrier, load lugger, pan-euro cruiser, off-road farm tracks and.........looks superb on my drive!

Arianne
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 23:19   #10
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossway View Post
Just returned from 10 days in France covering over 1000 miles in my petrol 53 plate XC90. Best car I have ever driven. Full to the rafters (didnt even need my roofbox thanks to the size of the load area) three kids in the back and not a murmer due to the roof mounted DVD player I had fitted. Average MPG was 20.4 but just like sitting in a leather sofa! The MPG was the same as a 4x4 sierra estate I owned a few years ago so didnt think it was too bad considering 270BHP etc. .....so there you go terrific car and if anyone thinks of buying one,please do !!
Yip Im on me third and travel too the south of France twice a year it realy is the car for the job. I also get five people 5 sets golf clubs and trolleys when out for a spoiled walk 'the only problem is all my mates have inferior cars that can not do this so I always drive'.

Glad you had a great experiance with a truly fine car end of.

bri
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote