Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Progressive Lowering Springs

Views : 6474

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 16:29   #11
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol603 View Post
Let me know what to measure and I'll take one of my Minilites off and measure it for you.
That would be very much appreciated - thank you!

Details of how to measure are here.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 18:51   #12
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - that sounds great, we are running basically the same gear, except mine is an estate. I think the springs are the same (from JP - possibly he has his act together now - HOW LONG DID YOU WAIT?), except I tried putting-on mudflaps, and they were dragging, did you modify yours?

I put a bigger exhaust and sizable muffler on mine, and have had some minor clearance issues. Gotta-go, welcome to the site.

Here is pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side view.jpg (327.1 KB, 30 views)
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 20:15   #13
Bristol603

Dear Paul,

The backspace on my 5.5 Minilites is 3.75". Your link has a chart that says this is an offset of 12. Is that what you were expecting?

Nigel.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bristol603 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 20:24   #14
Bristol603

Dear James,

I was planning a trip to Texas. 4 weeks before my trip I ordered the parts from John Parker to be delivered to a friend of mine that lives in Texas. The parts were waiting for me when I got there.

The springs shipped from John Parker and the shocks shipped direct from Bilstein in California.

My mudflaps are standard and I haven't had any problem with them dragging. I was more worried about the Simonz exhaust, but so far I haven't had any clearance issue with this. My minimum clearance is 10cm under the centre section. What clearance do you have?

Nigel.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 19:42   #15
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Dear Paul,

The backspace on my 5.5 Minilites is 3.75". Your link has a chart that says this is an offset of 12. Is that what you were expecting?

Nigel.
Hi Nigel,

Fantastic - thank you for taking the time to do that! That backspacing and offset is indeed what I'd expected. Very useful to know for certain though & also great help as I'm in the process of choosing the tyre size and also setting the offset for a new (well, new to me...) set of wheels for my Amazon.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 03:52   #16
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - I'm very surprised to hear your mudflaps went on there. I'll try to borrow some kind of measuring device and let you know what I have got. Ahh, it could be the tires too - I believe they are slightly lower profile.

Also, I wanted to comment on the fender-liners you bought. Mine are metal, and come from Sweden (Denmark??). They are a peach - easy to install and worth their weight in gold, as far as I'm concerned. How are the plastic ones??
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 19:59   #17
alastair

Quote:
I got the springs and shocks from John Parker of Vintage Performance in the US. John was quick to answer my questions and so I suggest you email him. Before you do, you should read the notes on his website about emailing him to make sure your message doesn't get put in the spam pile. I believe he supplies a range of different spring heights and spring rates so he may have something that would work for an estate.

I bought John's revalved Bilsteins for the rear of my car as I had read several reports that the standard Bilsteins are too stiff for the rear of an Amazon. I don't have the standard ones to compare with my revalved ones, but I am happy with the ride and handling that the revalved ones are giving. I wanted Bilsteins as Tony Barrett recommended them for long term durability. I don't know whether the standard Bilsteins would be too stiff for the rear of an estate. I suggest you ask John.
Anyone considering buying springs from John Parker should be cognisant of the fact that some of us have fallen victim to his springs failing - losing tension and causing the car to collapse. I had a pair of his front springs go this way after maybe 100 miles, and despite various promises to replace my faulty springs, John Parker has never sent me a thing - refund or replacements. I'm not alone in this regard - a search of 1800list will bring various horror stories to light. If you value either customer service, or reliable suspension, I'd look elsewhere.
alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 22:43   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

yep these did fail. I had to replace them and the front dampers as one had failed. The springs had gone soggy and caused the car is sit much lower on one side. I suspect the failed spring is what caused the damper to go.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 08:28   #19
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Dear Paul,

Nigel.
Is it me being a numpty or am I right that the offset is +1" or ET25?

3.75-(5.5/2)

Which is what I have on my Superlite minilite copies. I had no rubbing until I installed the uprated roll bar. Planning on wheel spacers or a deep dish wheel.
Tried to undone the steering lock stops - my they are little buggers!

Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:38   #20
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The can be a pain to get undone. Give them a good wire brush and then soak in penatrating oil. Make sure the slacken the locking nut first before any atempt to adjust.

I know the IPD bar does have less tyre clearane than the original
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote