Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommend LED bulbs in headlights

Views : 4186

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:47   #41
Clogs
Clogs

Default Totally unconvinced of the need for LED headlights

There are too many new cars with badly adjusted high intensity headlights blinding on coming traffic for people to think that more need be added by changing the headlamp bulb. It seems that the more expensive the new car, the worse the blinding effect on other road users.

As MoT testers have revealed the light scatter from a bulb not designed to be used in a headlight without a lens, without self levelling and only with a reflector will cause other road users problems.

Volvo drivers have a reputation and it isn't always a good one - safe and smug while oblivious to others on the road - which will be made worse by old Volvos with high intensity headlights that cause on coming traffic to slow or even stop.

No one in their right mind is going to put LED headlights in a classic car, and pre 2000 cars will be classic cars soon.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 09:45   #42
DSK
C70 T5

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add to to this.

OK, legalities aside, I have tried my best to research and try an LED kit in a 2007 Mercedes CLS, fitted with OEM projectors. The lens are crystal clear but the bulbs were about 10 years old. I tried a set of expensive halogen Osram night breakers but, the light is useless.

I went for one that I personally believe is one of the better ones (claimed to be dot approved, claimed beam cut-off, claimed to mimic the bulb length/filament etc etc etc) rather just just buying anything randomly.

Despite the CLS having probably the worst DIY design ever, as the assembly and bulb are buried so deep and recessed within with minimal space, the Novsight units pictured, fitted inside the light assembly without issue and the protective cap could be fitted back on without issue. Also I bought the additional decoders but, these were not required as the build in ones were sufficient, providing instant and consistent light without flicker.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 22:21   #43
DSK
C70 T5

Just went out in the Mercedes tonight, so its my first time with LEDs.

They are an improvement over halogens, give a noticeable improvement in light and for about the same price as a set of short lived bright halogens such as Philips race/ Osram night breakers these LEDs are worth it. I really like the instant full light output over the few moments needed with HIDs.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 22:35   #44
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I have those in my S60. One has been having the occasional flicker, and has now gone off. I need to see whether it's that the connection has come apart or whether it really has failed after c3 months. I hope it's the former.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 22:40   #45
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
I have those in my S60. One has been having the occasional flicker, and has now gone off. I need to see whether it's that the connection has come apart or whether it really has failed after c3 months. I hope it's the former.

I believe Novsight have good customer care so may be worth getting in touvh with them if its the product.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 19:59   #46
DSK
C70 T5

UPDATE

I changed from one style of Novisght H7 to a later/updated DOT approved version as I didn't realise the first set I installed were not DOT approved. The later does offer a better beam spread/pattern (fitted in an OEM projector headlight of a Mercedes CLS).

Original

New

Original

New note the lack of hot spots and better spread

General visual shots;

In person there is no glare, it looks like it does above but, for the shot below, I could not improve my photo skills.

Also on a side note, on this particular, despite the units having built in decoders, I still had to buy further additional decoders as the the bulbs would independently with no time pattern turn off and then back on after a few seconds, despite showing no issues over 15 minutes of running in the workshop.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 21:26   #47
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I believe Novsight have good customer care so may be worth getting in touvh with them if its the product.
It was the product. Failed in 10 weeks. I have gone back to standard bulbs.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 12:14   #48
StatusRed
Premier Member

Can the C70 have any projectors retrofitted into the housing which would then make LEDs acceptable?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 18:23   #49
C70 98

You have these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PFV905296_large.jpg (22.8 KB, 4 views)
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 19:31   #50
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default The problem is not MOT pass/fail......

Quote: "I changed from one style of Novisght H7 to a later/updated DOT approved version as I didn't realise the first set I installed were not DOT approved."

When you see LED headlight bulbs (size H4, H7 etc) marked "DOT" or "CE" being sold as replacements for traditional incandescent bulbs.... that is a con trick. The original complete light fitting with incandescent type bulb, reflectors, projector lenses etc, is what was qualified by the manufacturer during the design phase of the car as compliant with national and international regulations. Fitting an after market LED bulb is not compliant because retro qualifying them all in the many designs of incandescent type light fittings will not happen. There is absolutely zero in it for the car manufacturers. Thus after market LEDs in headlights are not road legal and probably never will be.

Forget that you might be lucky getting past the next MOT test. But think about talking to the insurance companies, lawyers and courts if you are unlucky enough to have an accident where the police start inspecting your car. (Just saying.)
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote