Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth stripping modifications prior to sale?

Views : 3514

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2019, 09:03   #21
mobile

now thats a d5 and a half. timing again for me is wrong. just got a t5 manual because after sticking the milltek on my d5 auto i really decided i dont like the auto at all so modifying stopped there. id of had that off you though.
but if you want rid of that grill id be up for a swap and some beer tokens
mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2019, 15:18   #22
phil1968
Master Member

Nice How do you get it through the MOT without the DPF out of interest?

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 01:17   #23
PaddyB

It's a tricky one - if it were me I'd sell the parts that are easy to return to stock (& I'm not saying this because I want your wheels). I believe that a car that's nearer to stock is easier to sell; & I know you'll get the most money that way

I don't know if this is true for most people but I shy away from modified cars; because - in most cases - the modifications are crap (mushroom filters are in this category for me) & don't add anything to the experience of owning & driving the car. That said: yours does not fall into this category - & neither does mine, which I've modified (which makes me a hypocrite). I also suspect they've been abused. I can't give a rational reason for this suspicion tho.

Good luck with the sale
PaddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 13:52   #24
Shay40run

The colour is Brilliant Blue and is THE best colour (it's the colour of my V50).

I can't comment on the mods as I'm not technically-minded but, as a female who adores her V50, my advice is to sell the wifes car.

1995 - 440 1.8SI | 2000 - S40 2.0i | 2008 - V50 2.0D R-Design SE Sport |
2017 - V40 D4 R-Design Nav + | 2018 - XC60 T5 Momentum Pro
Shay40run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:43   #25
Yobbo
Dave

How's the exhaust sound - quiet when cruising, louder when looning?
I'm just getting that impression from the inclusion of a rear muffler/silencer.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:47   #26
TarmacNymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile View Post
now thats a d5 and a half. timing again for me is wrong. just got a t5 manual because after sticking the milltek on my d5 auto i really decided i dont like the auto at all so modifying stopped there. id of had that off you though.
but if you want rid of that grill id be up for a swap and some beer tokens
Hi Mobile, you got lucky there. As I waited for around 4 months for a T5 to come up for sale and then settled for a D5 instead.

Regarding the grill, I have a second one (new and unused) that could be available separately. I tried to mould the mesh myself and balls'd it up so bought another one and paid a garage to sort it instead. So I have the surround with no mesh (which is available online from the likes of Amazon, eBay and Halfords as it turns out, after searching after buying another one)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1968 View Post
Nice How do you get it through the MOT without the DPF out of interest?
Thanks. In regard to your question, I would have thought that this subject matter would have been covered extensively on a forum such as this. But if not, then options are as follows (but are not limited to):

Swapping the exhaust over to OEM for test
Having a 'friendly' tester
Welding/ riveting a panel to the underside of the car to hide the area that would normally house the DPF, where the MOT only requires for it to be present and visible to pass. Can't see it, can't confirm whether it's present, can't fail it.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyB View Post
It's a tricky one - if it were me I'd sell the parts that are easy to return to stock (& I'm not saying this because I want your wheels). I believe that a car that's nearer to stock is easier to sell; & I know you'll get the most money that way

I don't know if this is true for most people but I shy away from modified cars; because - in most cases - the modifications are crap (mushroom filters are in this category for me) & don't add anything to the experience of owning & driving the car. That said: yours does not fall into this category - & neither does mine, which I've modified (which makes me a hypocrite). I also suspect they've been abused. I can't give a rational reason for this suspicion tho.

Good luck with the sale
I would expect people not to kid themselves and think that this car hasn't been driven hard, but the difference is that I maintain it meticulously. Whereas when I was originally searching for a V50, the number of cars that were in a horrendous condition astounded me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay40run View Post
The colour is Brilliant Blue and is THE best colour (it's the colour of my V50).

I can't comment on the mods as I'm not technically-minded but, as a female who adores her V50, my advice is to sell the wife's car.
That's for confirming the colour Shay. I showed the other half the comment and she disagrees with you. Haha! Generally from a standpoint that local car parks around here have spaces designed for scooters that cars are meant to get in, and therefore trying to get two children out of the V50 is nye on impossible unless you get lucky and find an end space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
How's the exhaust sound - quiet when cruising, louder when looning?

I'm just getting that impression from the inclusion of a rear muffler/silencer.
Hi Yobbo, recognised the question and thought I had answered you previously but alas I missed it. Apologies.

It's difficult to describe really. "Loud" is a relative term based on personal perception, where I don't think that it is loud because the exhaust I had on my previous car would exceed 140dB when pushing it (as confirmed by getting banned from the Nurburgring twice over a weekend).

But being the 5 cylinder it has a nice deep tone at lower revs with no drone to my ears at cruising speeds and it really comes on song when pushing hard. There's also a real sweet spot when approaching and then dipping passed 2k rpm where it is both loud(er) and deep(er).

I should probably be less lazy and get a video or two.

And the rear silencer/ muffler is really just a token gesture. It's much smaller in reality than it looks in the picture, where it was used as a more aesthetically pleasing option to just having a Y weld. It's a 3" system from the turbo back with, for all intents and purposes, no sound or power restrictions.

Last edited by TarmacNymph; Apr 9th, 2019 at 09:52. Reason: Missed a reply.
TarmacNymph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarmacNymph For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 18:00   #27
mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarmacNymph View Post
Hi Mobile, you got lucky there. As I waited for around 4 months for a T5 to come up for sale and then settled for a D5 instead.

Regarding the grill, I have a second one (new and unused) that could be available separately. I tried to mould the mesh myself and balls'd it up so bought another one and paid a garage to sort it instead. So I have the surround with no mesh (which is available online from the likes of Amazon, eBay and Halfords as it turns out, after searching after buying another one)...

yeah a bit rare, no one wants to let them go, let me know about the grill
mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 11:06   #28
TarmacNymph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile View Post
yeah a bit rare, no one wants to let them go, let me know about the grill
Well from memory it cost around £350 delivered from Germany but the reality is is that it's just sat in its box in my loft so feel free to make me a (sensible) offer as it'd be better someone using it than not.

From reading other threads it seems that I won't be able to reply to PM's until I've made 30 posts, so if you can PM then fire me your mobile number and I'll be able to WhatsApp you some pictures.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:06   #29
Yobbo
Dave

Hi again TN! I'm intruiged by your exhaust, particularly the 're-circ bypass'?
As the D5 uses a VNT turbo it doesn't vent any air at all.
Any pics of your downpipe would be welcome.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 15:43   #30
TarmacNymph

Perhaps bypass is the wrong terminology; blanking-off?

I think it was more to do with stopping the car dumping crud back into the engine and constantly getting an EML warning me that my engine oil levels were too high.

I can try and get a photo but I doubt it'd be very clear due to the limited access, haha.