Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V60 D4 2015 - Sensus screen shuts down in bright light

Views : 1402

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 09:41   #1
arpi2390

Default Volvo V60 D4 2015 - Sensus screen shuts down in bright light

Hi everyone,

My brother just bought a Volvo V60 with a strange issue, the Sensus screen shuts down when the sensor on the dashboard is in bright light, e.g. sunlight. I'll attach a video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know from my S80 (2014) that when I switch from a dark environment like a tunnel to a bright one the screen gets a lot brighter. It seems like the V60 is just working in a low light, less current I'm guessing, situation.

There's also some other issues that might be software related like slow boot up and occasional freezes, but the main concern is that there's also a sound associated like an old dying HDD sound.

Anyone with a guess? Could this be software or hardware related?

As you can see in the video when the sensor is covered the screen comes back to life and when the rag is taken off it dies again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here's a picture of both cars:

arpi2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 12:27   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Hopefully not an indication as to how long the new fancy gadgetry in modern cars is going to last ?

I see the car is 5 years old now ? Just putting it out there but perhaps the screen is already getting "tired" and losing basic brightness ? A 5 year old LCD TV (I assume the display is LCD?) can do this. How many miles/Km has the car done ? has the screen been on for an average of along time now ? How truly bright is the screen when at its brightest ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 13:31   #3
arpi2390

I don't believe it's related to the age of the LCD/TFT screen as my S80 with the same screen still works flawless. It does have 50.000 less km's but I've seen cars with 250K+ km's without any issues.

This seems to shut down as soon as the car switches to "daytime mode", when it brightens everything up (it goes dim at night so that the screens don't blind you).

We will have a look around the fuse box maybe there's a dodge fuse or connection and we will also remove the screen an check the connectors on the back. My guess is that it's either an internal hardware fault when the screen get's more current and it shuts down or the screen expects to draw more current in daytime mode but it's not getting it because there's an issue in the wiring somewhere.

The car has 4 years and 180.000 km's, it's a 2015 I believe it's been built around February. My S80 is the 2014 one.
The Following User Says Thank You to arpi2390 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 09:45   #4
arpi2390

As a small update, we removed the front plate of the center console with all the buttons and knobs but couldn't get to the screen as it was getting late and we couldn't figure out how to get the back part of the center console off and it's in the way of the top air vent and the surrounding of the navigation screen so you need to remove the back part before the plastic surrounding and then you can get to the screen.

What we did remove is the CD/DVD/HDD head unit, we didn't find anything interesting, unplugged and re-plugged everything, made no difference.

The system is really slow to boot at times and really fast on other times so there are several issues, one is most probably software related and one hardware. When it's slow to boot the Volvo logo appears on the screen and after a few seconds it flickers and reboots, you can also hear the HDD as it restarts sometimes it takes minutes to restart.

The issue with the screen turning of in "daytime mode" is temporarily solved with a piece of black tape on the light sensor.

I took only this on image:

Last edited by arpi2390; Apr 24th, 2019 at 09:47.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:04   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

First thing to do is make sure all available software updates are installed

Then, if the problem still occurs, it is likely a hardware problem, and you would need to replace the screen.

I am guessing that the screen power supply is shutting down when it is instructed to go to maximum brightness. Maximum brightness means maximum power consumption, and if the power supply inside the screen is struggling to supply, it might get overloaded and shut down.
Such issues are hard enough to fault find and fix at a component level in a factory environment, and really difficult to fix in a car.
Replacement of the power supply and/or screen is often the easiest.

But do a software update check first and see how far that gets you.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:24   #6
arpi2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
First thing to do is make sure all available software updates are installed

Then, if the problem still occurs, it is likely a hardware problem, and you would need to replace the screen.

I am guessing that the screen power supply is shutting down when it is instructed to go to maximum brightness. Maximum brightness means maximum power consumption, and if the power supply inside the screen is struggling to supply, it might get overloaded and shut down.
Such issues are hard enough to fault find and fix at a component level in a factory environment, and really difficult to fix in a car.
Replacement of the power supply and/or screen is often the easiest.

But do a software update check first and see how far that gets you.
Thank you for the ideas.

Will do that, the problem is that the nearest dealer is either 450 km (Bucharest - Primus Volvo) or 500 km (Budapest - Ivanics Volvo or Volvo Galeria) away. There is one located at 100 km (Cluj Napoca - Premium Cars) distance but the reputation of that dealer is really bad, the title "Stealer" truly fits.

So we toughed we'd give it a look and see if it's a loose wire or something. As I commute often to Budapest, where the main dealer is where I take my car, the S80, I will swap cars with my brother and I'll take it to see if there are any software updates.

The dealer we bought it from didn't really bother to do a lot to the car it was sold as is, we barely got him to change one of the charge air pipes to the turbo as on the test drive I heard that it was leaking. His response when we said if he'd take a look was "I'm not a mechanic." true...but still... but after a bit of talking to him he got some of the service guys to look at it and shockingly said that they'd pay for the replacement, East German hospitality.

Anyone know if a second hand unit (screen) would work or would the MOST loop shut it off?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 15:23   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpi2390 View Post
Anyone know if a second hand unit (screen) would work or would the MOST loop shut it off?
Volvo V60 D4 2015
If this car is in VIDA, then the replacement procedure will also be in VIDA
I'll look tonight.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 16:18   #8
arpi2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Volvo V60 D4 2015
If this car is in VIDA, then the replacement procedure will also be in VIDA
I'll look tonight.
Yes it's a 2015 D4 V60, but I'm guessing there's no info related to what you can swap it out with, just a part number. But you just reminded me that I also have VIDA and I should check a few things...thanks.

Curious if the 2014D VIDA contain 2015 model cars? I'm going to check and come back with an answer shortly.

Later edit: Short answer, the 2014D VIDA does not contain 2015 model year cars.

Last edited by arpi2390; Apr 24th, 2019 at 16:21.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 16:47   #9
arpi2390

VIDA says that a replacement from another car will not work because of the MOST network and the ITP (Infotainment Theft Protection) yet I've seen videos and read threads where second hand units have been swapped.

Could someone confirm if the screen from a scrapped car would work?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 17:57   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I head VIDA, it says:

Applies to vehicles without Infotainment Head Unit (IHU)
Note! This step is only necessary when installing a new component.
Order and download software according to: 31268489

Thus for vehicles WITH IHU, no software download is required when changing the screen