Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Complete refurbished tuned engine - wish to buy.

Views : 414

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:39   #1
AmazonViking

Default Complete refurbished tuned engine - wish to buy.

I'm working on my 121 which has done 106 000Km - B18 engine. The engine ticks like a clock and is such a mint engine that I don't have the heart to start tuning it.

The idea I'm playing with is to put the engine in a crate, seal it up and keep it as is and purchase a fully new built and refurbished engine which is tuned to proximities 150Hp. At some point in time my son might figure that a completely original engine would be popular and it would be there for him to drop it in.

I have been in contact with Vintage Performance in US but the response time is loooooong and slow.

The question is : Do any of the members know of any other options where we/I can buy a completely refurbished reliable engine which is tuned ? Hopefully someone with good history and reputation so I don't end up with being fooled bye some one.

Any tips would be appreciated.
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 13:16   #2
csm22

Assuming you're referring to Vintage Performance Developments, I'd recommend you scan some of the other Volvo owner sites (Swedespeed, TurboBricks, etc.) before committing any funds. From what I've read, while some owners seem satisfied with their purchases from VPD, there are apparently many who are frustrated with slow or unresponsive service.

That said, I have no experience with them or other sources of refurbed engines, and will defer to those better informed.
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csm22 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 13:51   #3
simon roberts

Cool

KG....try
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simon roberts For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 14:57   #4
amazon69
Premier Member

I would recommend having nowt to do with VPD. Do your homework.

KG Trimning would be your best bet, if they don't do a turn key engine to your specs I bet they know who would.

Amazon cars in Suffolk can provide rebuilt engines, but not to the output you are hoping for I don't think.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 15:01   #5
Army
marches on his stomach

I'm not aware of your situation but I think it is worth mentioning that just replacing the engine is only the start of a decent upgrade - with a doubling of power you also need to think about making it round corners and stopping! (Then there's the gearing and the strength of the drive line)

This isn't intended as a soap box preach but just in case...

...I personally would modify the existing nice engine you have if you're only planning to replace with a tuned version of what you have already got.

I think it is also worth mentioning that the cheapest way of getting more power is to transplant a modern engine - but some countries have restrictions - I know not what Norway is like (or your neighbouring countries that might object to you visiting in a modified vehicle)...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 15:04   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have been building engines for a long time. I do not stock ready built engines as customers often want a tailored engine.

What sort of goals do you have?

There also many engine builders in Scandinavia with lots of experience.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 21:42   #7
AmazonViking

Wow, thanks guys.

Did a web search on VPD and there seems to be quite a few people upset in some way. My experience is only due to slow replies but it seems like several people which have sent their own stuff for re-build has been screwed - if we should belive everything up on the web...

Kind of sad in one way since he seems to have done some good discoveries on carbs and combinations of other tricks.

With respect to engine swap, locally it's a pain in the A to get the car approved with some exotics in there. That is also not the idea for me, I would be fine with some B20 or a 2.3 with a moderate tune with carbs etc - it's not going to be a car for racing. I want a modern feel to the car with some powerful acceleration, other than that doing more than 100Km/h is not something I would do on regular basis.

Local rules is that Volvo has approved a maximum of 150Hp in the car and this is with standard disc brakes in the front and rear axle break amp. The weight on the front axle must not be over a specified weight (don't remember) but it means you could easily drop a B20 in there. The same applies if you stroke the engine or overbore the cylinders as long as you are under 150Hp.

Other motors like B19,23,230 could be dropped in as long as the 150Hp and 20kpm torque is not passed and the front axle load is broken.

If you want more than 150Hp you are in for a ride with the local "sherif" which would never be a dance I would do. I don't want to rape the car and make some form of VōX thing which is looking like a Amazon Wagon shell with the rest torn out.

I guess I should start locally and ask, then search in Sweden. Feel free to PM me #ClassicSwede if you want.

Thanks.

Last edited by AmazonViking; Apr 19th, 2019 at 21:45. Reason: Bad English
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmazonViking For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 22:21   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonViking View Post
Wow, thanks guys.

Did a web search on VPD and there seems to be quite a few people upset in some way. My experience is only due to slow replies but it seems like several people which have sent their own stuff for re-build has been screwed - if we should belive everything up on the web...

Kind of sad in one way since he seems to have done some good discoveries on carbs and combinations of other tricks.

With respect to engine swap, locally it's a pain in the A to get the car approved with some exotics in there. That is also not the idea for me, I would be fine with some B20 or a 2.3 with a moderate tune with carbs etc - it's not going to be a car for racing. I want a modern feel to the car with some powerful acceleration, other than that doing more than 100Km/h is not something I would do on regular basis.

Local rules is that Volvo has approved a maximum of 150Hp in the car and this is with standard disc brakes in the front and rear axle break amp. The weight on the front axle must not be over a specified weight (don't remember) but it means you could easily drop a B20 in there. The same applies if you stroke the engine or overbore the cylinders as long as you are under 150Hp.

Other motors like B19,23,230 could be dropped in as long as the 150Hp and 20kpm torque is not passed and the front axle load is broken.

If you want more than 150Hp you are in for a ride with the local "sherif" which would never be a dance I would do. I don't want to rape the car and make some form of VōX thing which is looking like a Amazon Wagon shell with the rest torn out.

I guess I should start locally and ask, then search in Sweden. Feel free to PM me #ClassicSwede if you want.

Thanks.
why not fit the B234F engine on 2 x 40 DCOE carbs ? You would have just about 150 bhp .
Having said that a B20B would make a noticeable improvement , The 123GT's i used to drive back in the 1970's with about 118 bhp went extremely well , a 115 -120 mph car .