Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you put HID Xenon bulbs in any Volvo s40/v50 ?

Views : 1531

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 16:59   #1
krispyKreme

Default Can you put HID Xenon bulbs in any Volvo s40/v50 ?

hi everyone im after another volvo s40 or maybe a v50, if it had normal halogen bulbs can i buy xenon bulbs and just plug them in the way you would halogen bulbs ?

i used to use OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED H7, i know how to change those on an s40 so do xenon bulbs come in h7 size and all i would do is take out the halogens and put the xenon bulbs in and thats it ???

also any idea what they cost ( 2x xenon bulbs to fit an s40/v50 )

thanks very much

Dave
krispyKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 17:40   #2
BJB

No you can't. H7 are just 12v, where xenon bulbs are d2s fitting and use a ballast, as these don't use a filament and requires an arc at approx 20,000v and 85v to keep it ignited.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJB For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 18:52   #3
krispyKreme

thanks, just found a video on changing xenon bulbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNa5oUsZzAQ

well that sucks then ! i need to find an s40 or v50 that has xenon bulbs already fitted
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 23:20   #4
krispyKreme

so are there any videos showing how to fit a HID conversion kit onto a volvo s40 ?

i googled and found https://www.hids4u.co.uk/volvo-hid-conversion-kit.html from their dropdown menus i selected volvo, s40, saloon twin headlight hid xenon ( there options arnt well explained so i guess thats what id opt for) then i opted for 2012/2013 model car and that goes to https://www.hids4u.co.uk/hidkits.php?car=34711 he 400% brighter option is £100 but this company fails to provide a link to show a video on how to fit their kit so i worry itll be harder than it sounds

also are these conversion kits even legal ? this Auto Express video seems to say they are illegal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5n38wDe684
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 23:46   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

yes its incredibly easy to do, pretty much plug and play.

These kits are illegal as you need to have headlamp washers and leveling.

I just got mine from amazon for about £35 and lasted couple years so far and still fine.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 23:50   #6
hoks

They are mostly illegal, since you will not have proper leveling electroncis, which adjust automatically height of the beam depending on how much the car is loaded and so on.

Also there are people who have experienced problems with CEM (it burns out) after fitting HID kits.

The stock light output is bad, it has been discussed a lot...
Maybe instead of HID kit you can buy new projector..

Either way, you can get a lot of info by reading this detailed thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263340
hoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:33   #7
krispyKreme

thanks well im not fitting a kit then if its illegal, ive suffered myself from crazy bright headlights coming towards me dazzling me so i suspect they were illegal kits

ill simply try to find a car that has xenon lights factory fitted

thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:04   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispyKreme View Post
thanks well im not fitting a kit then if its illegal, ive suffered myself from crazy bright headlights coming towards me dazzling me so i suspect they were illegal kits

ill simply try to find a car that has xenon lights factory fitted

thanks
Bear in mind, OEM xenons, especially pre-FL ones, are not that great either. Those also do suffer from flakey reflectors and misting lenses but ofcourse are miles better than halogen ones. FL cars have ABL versions (active bending) and are really desireable & work great, so if you can - look for those.

Whatever you gonna get, you may need to take projectors out and check the condition of reflective coating and clean the lens - almost all of them will be misty/dusty and reduce you light output. If you cant find oem xenon car, dont get discouraged - you can still retrofit projectors onto halogen car (aftermarket h7 projectors) and use Osram NB bulbs on them. You will remain perfectly legal and light output will increase drastically.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 14:18   #9
StatusRed
Premier Member

With HIDs now also being an outdated technology wouldn't it be better to look to go LED if you're going to go down the route of retrofitting anyway?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:10   #10
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
With HIDs now also being an outdated technology wouldn't it be better to look to go LED if you're going to go down the route of retrofitting anyway?
LEDs will be as legal as HIDs in that case, unfortunately. Also - I am yet to see better output from LEDs than from D2S HID set (in our cars I mean). I know LEDs are "future" etc but only if applied in proper way (matrix technology or multi-lens setup) but IMO will never work better in H7 designed projector than good HID setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:

Tags
halogen, headlights, hid, xenon, zenons