Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Brake disc question

Views : 6023

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 10:33   #1
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Default XC90 Brake disc question

I have 18" alloys on the car (07 SE) and the brake discs appear to be quite badly corroded along the outer 1cm depth around the circumference of the front and rear discs.

It's almost as if the pad doesn't make contact with the outer 1cm of the disc. Is this normal or are 1) the discs fitted the wrong size or 2) the pads are the wrong size?
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:00   #2
pdrvolvo
Master Member

in my experience most pads dont go to the edge of the disc there,s always a small untouched area.front and rear.its usually around 3-4mm.

peter.

Last edited by pdrvolvo; Mar 11th, 2010 at 12:06.
pdrvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pdrvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 15:07   #3
JMP

Just had my XC90 in to local indy for grinding noise from front wheels at low speeds. It turned out to be rust on the outer edge of the discs as the pads don't cover the whole disc.

Discs were new last year so rust was removed from edge and noise has disappeared.

So in answer to your question... no the pads don't cover the whole disc and this is normal.
2005 '55 Mercedes C200 CDI Avantgarde Estate
1979 'T' MGB Roadster
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMP For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2010, 00:06   #4
hynesd

Default What Discs to buy

Hi,

I also have 18inch wheels on my XC90 but all the discs I can source seem to be for 16 and 17inch wheels.

Do you know if the 17inch ones are the correct ones to use?

Regards,

Hynesd
hynesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 18:08   #5
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
I have 18" alloys on the car (07 SE) and the brake discs appear to be quite badly corroded along the outer 1cm depth around the circumference of the front and rear discs.

It's almost as if the pad doesn't make contact with the outer 1cm of the disc. Is this normal or are 1) the discs fitted the wrong size or 2) the pads are the wrong size?
1cm seems a bit excessive - I've got 17" rims - but the pads contact pretty much to within 1mm or 2 from the outside edge...
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 18:36   #6
Rufe
TRADER

To answer Hynesd, The 17" and 16" you refer to probably is not actually directly related to wheel size, its to do with how Volvo class their braking systems.

You could have small brakes and huge wheels, there is no direct relation between them generally (the same is true for most Volvos)

If you would like a quote for these from us please follow this link and complete the form and I will get back to you with prices and full ordering information to use if you decide to go ahead. I can find out the size of disk the car left the factory with using the registration number of the car. This is why we always ask for the registration number to proceed with parts enquiries at all times, as we get a lot of information from this.

Please use this link and I will get back to you during office hours.

http://www.frfvolvo.co.uk/mo-volvo-parts.asp

Simon

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 23:50   #7
Miti

Our 53 D5 SE had new front discs when we bought her, but I replaced the rears last year... Sourced the discs and pads from Partco. They match the parts from your Reg No. The cost was VERY competitive and they've been spot on over the last 12k miles... We've 18" atlantis alloys fitted and if the front discs need replacing while we have the car, I'll certainly include Partco in my price comparisons...
Miti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 00:03   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hynesd View Post
Hi,

I also have 18inch wheels on my XC90 but all the discs I can source seem to be for 16 and 17inch wheels.

Do you know if the 17inch ones are the correct ones to use?

Regards,

Hynesd
ALL UK AWD XC90 use the largest disc sizes , the smaller ones are for the USA front wheel drive models ...
Virtualy the whole surface of the disc is swept with the pad , you only have to look at most xc90 discs through the wheel to see this .. sometimes there is indeed a ring of rust around the edge front or rear ,but still the pad is rubbing on this rust but cant clean it up . How the rust got there is probably due to the car being standing for a while with the whole disc rusty then for some reason the pad cant clear the rust from the outer edge .

Volvo's disc & Pad size rating system is crazy and has been for a long long time . The 15 16 16.5 ( america but also relates to 17" wheels on the C70 ) and 17" dont relate to the diameter of the discs or wheel rims ! -
If anyone has managed to find out what this inch measurement relates to i would be happy . i even wrote to volvo technical about 10 years ago and they didnt know the ins and outs of it ...

I would assume at one time the wheel rim size DID relate to the disc size but since 1995 this is not the case .... and no one has had the forethought to amend the parts catalogue and update it so that it makes sense ! Does the swedish language version of the Parts catalogue list inch sizes still ? they went metric in 1974 !
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 15:01   #9
Redxc90

Default Front disc size

I have a 2012 XC90 R Design. I can’t find what front disc to buy. Car parts companies ask do you have 16 or 17 wheels? The tyre size is 255/50 19. Anyone know what disc please?
Redxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 16:10   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redxc90 View Post
I have a 2012 XC90 R Design. I can’t find what front disc to buy. Car parts companies ask do you have 16 or 17 wheels? The tyre size is 255/50 19. Anyone know what disc please?
there is only one size front brake disc on all UK xc90's that is the large one ...