Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bruntingthorpe Track Day (4th Aug 2007)

Views : 1838

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2007, 21:29   #1
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Default Bruntingthorpe Track Day (4th Aug 2007)

Hi all,

I read about this on Pistonheads today and thought I would post up here about it. I've driven at Bruntingthorpe several times and it is a really nice and easy track with lots of run-off. Following on from the track day at RAF Marham, this will be another good opportunity for a meet of Volvo owners to enjoy the performance of our cars in a controlled environment. Here are some links:

http://www.pistonheads.com/trackdays...?storyId=16270

http://www.bigthunder.co.uk/Brunting...ays%202007.doc

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 22:12   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

We invited Pistonheads down to use Marham but for some reason they haven't got back to us. Any hoo. I don't mind people going to both tracks as it makes Marham look even better!! LOL.
Old May 21st, 2007, 23:11   #3
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

What about a VOC day down at Marham?? Its such a great venue I seriously doubt you'lll struggle to fill places especially if other clubs are also invited to attend along similar lines of the charity event in April.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:00   #4
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
What about a VOC day down at Marham?? Its such a great venue I seriously doubt you'lll struggle to fill places especially if other clubs are also invited to attend along similar lines of the charity event in April.
Hi Ashok, I spoke to Georgey a while ago to get a price for a day at Marham. The price is very reasonable. If we have 20 cars it'll be around £125 each - put me right Georgey if I have the figures wrong! We need to start a list of interested people. I will need to get back to Georgey to get an idea of dates. Let's start a list of interested people! We can invite other clubs along - the more cars we have the cheaper it'll be!

1) IC

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:38   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

1) IC
2) Dodgyken

Count me in - although where the hell is it??

You do realise if the Volvo turns up it will be purely as support vehicle for the Z4 - who is shod in sticky rubber and will enjoy the benefits of Tarox 6-pots now they have arrived from Italy!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 18:59   #6
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

1) IC
2) Dodgyken
3) pyaap (8000rpm in 5th here I come!!! )

Old May 24th, 2007, 13:19   #7
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Talking

Having just spoken to the powers that be, the club would need to bring around 60 cars for it to be effective. The cost of the insurance and the site licence has doubled (thanks MOD!!) and the airfield needs to be closed for the whole day.
There are two ways we can do this.
1. Generate 60 cars and then organise a day.
2. Attach the club to the next track day (1st and 2nd Sept 2007). This will be the better option as there will be no commitment on numbers.

Cost for the next track day is around £60 per car and you can bring 3 passengers free of charge.

Cost for a Volvo only day is £60 per car and the club will have to pay up front so we can secure the airfield, (£3,600.) Also the club events are top speed events rather than a track event as the cones are only available twice a year which we save for the track weekends to get the best out of them.

I can organise either of the two options for you and we will be happy either way as it all goes in to the same charity pot.
The main advantage with Marham (even if i do say so myself) is that it's operational and therefore has to be well maintained. The trouble with 'Ex' airfields is that they just don't have the money to re-surface and many are the old 1940's concrete which plays havock with your suspension.

Money raised from the last track days is up to £17,000 and has gone to the Make a wish foundation and the Air Ambulance. Thanks to all who contributed to this massive amount.

Thanks for your interest and I look forward to your replies.

George

Last edited by Georgey dee; May 24th, 2007 at 13:36.
Georgey dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 21:25   #8
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Thanks for the info Georgey Dee. Given the 'cost' of the using the airfield for the day is £3600, the number of cars is really whatever we make it, be it 60 cars at £60, 30 cars at £120 or 2 cars at £1800 each!!

Anyone who does track days will know that £120 will only buy you a reasonable session with one of the major organisers so I feel that aiming for 30 cars at £120 may be the way forward as in real terms, it is a bargain for what is on offer. I very much doubt the VOC will be able to muster 60 cars; 30, on the other hand may be possible. If we're really struggling for numbers, perhaps we can extend an invitation to the Focus ST owners club (they're Volvos afterall!!) and fellow Saab owners on Saab Central.

Old May 24th, 2007, 23:55   #9
Al115
Premier Member

All good, and if it matters, I (and my student friends) can provide the elusive "cones" LOL
Old May 25th, 2007, 08:23   #10
dodgyken
Master Member

For me it has to be a track rather than speed day.

I will bring the BMW and perhaps the Volvo as support car!!!

I am paying £230 for a day at Spa in October - so £120 is fine by me for a 30 car day.

Lets drum up some interest!!!

PS If you need extra people - I am a member of a very "Meet" based Zed Car forum - who would probably be happy to join forces. I am pretty sure we could 10 people from there - including 1 Radical owner who could be persuaded to offer passenger laps!!!

Last edited by dodgyken; May 25th, 2007 at 08:24. Reason: More info
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote