Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R starting problems

Views : 707

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 00:17   #1
RobertV70R

Happy new year...
I have a Volvo 2000 v70r with ~125,000 miles. We bought this car new from the dealer and it has had regular dealer service and repair. In the last year or so the car started having this problem. It would turn over but intermittently not start. Some times if you wait 10-30 seconds and restart it will fire and run fine. Some times it will only start with the gas pedal to the floor, turn ignition, it fires with high rpm, then gradually releasing the gas pedal to normal idle. Sometimes none of this works and it will only turn over with no fire. After a prolonged wait (1 hour or more) it sometimes restarts. The problem seems to be getting progressivly worse. When the car IS running, it performs as if nothing is wrong. Our dealer had the car for 3 weeks and they were able to reproduce the problem but were not able to fix it. I have brought the car to my local foreign car repare shop and they have had no luck as well.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advice for any help...
Rob
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 00:26   #2
RedR

Sounds like it could be the idle valve, either worn out, or just gummed up. I would also check all the breather and smaller vacuum hoses to make sure they're all clear.

The other thing that springs to mind is the fuel injection system, has the relay and pump been checked? Has the pressure been checked?

I'd be really interested to know what the problem actually is when you finally get it sorted

Regards

Nigel 855R
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:40   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default RE: V70R starting problems

I think this car has electronic throttle so there is no idle valve.

When it won't start:

can you hear the fuel pump running?
can you smell fuel fumes or not?

check for a spark if you can but it's not so easy with these cars as there is no distributor or plug leads, you can only check the low voltage side of the coil with a test lamp.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote