Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

micro switch

Views : 519

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2013, 17:33   #1
archerymarc

Question micro switch

quick question
my volvo v70, the tail gate warning light, (ie i think the micro switch is playing up) is on when car is running,although boot is shut,would this cause a power drain when car is locked !!
archerymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 18:20   #2
klausc
Old fart

No, it will not drain the battery, but not close the 'loop' for the security system.

Try this: open the boot. With a round shafted phillips screwdriver, close the latch to the first 'click' and then move the latch to the second 'click'. Turn the engine on and see if the light is out. If this is the case, the latch is in good nick but something else is preventing the hatch from closing or the bar on the frame that catches the latch is too far in, by 1 or 2 mm.

This happens a lot when the two struts are worn and the hatch slams shut too often.
Old May 12th, 2013, 18:32   #3
green van man
Premier Member

It will if the boot curtosy light is switched on, it is not always noticable, yes found out the hard way.

Every time I have stripped the lock out to see

about replaceing the micro switch it always works perfectly and it is a right bugger to change, in fact volvo replace the whole lock mech at silly money. I have found that as sugested closeing the catch fully with the tailgate open usualy sorts it for a while. One day will get around to changeing the micro switch.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 19:08   #4
archerymarc

ar ok thanks,i havent noticed a light on but the battery seems to loos charge from some were,the battery its self is 3 months new
Old May 12th, 2013, 23:17   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerymarc View Post
ar ok thanks,i havent noticed a light on but the battery seems to loos charge from some were,the battery its self is 3 months new
No the light can be swiched off on the unit itself, does the light come on at all when you open the tail gate? if not it has been switched off or the bulb removed/broken.
How long does it take for the battery to loose charge? My battery was flat overnight when the interior boot light was left on by the faulty switch but the battery is 8 years old and it was cold in march.
If its not the faulty boot light then about the only thing that should be useing power with the car locked up is the clock and the alarm/imobiliser systems and these in themselves should take many days to flaten the battery if the battery is in good condition. Which raises the question are you sure of the battery? I accept that it is only 3 months old but is it good quality etc. as I have come across new batteries that have failed drop test, although they passed volt meter test.
I would be inclined to have the battery tested before you start ripping the car apart looking for faults, most garages/tyre dealers will do this free or for minimul charge. Once you are sure of the battery move on to the potentialy more costly jobs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:03   #6
archerymarc

cheers paul and many thanks for the advise given,i will go down the road first with the battery and getting it checked,the loss of charge does take a while,mind you i cant set the alarm as the keyfob is broken,i just use the key to lock the car