Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gave my T5 a work out this morning

Views : 1575

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:06   #11
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Default RE: Gave my T5 a work out this morning

>I'm not sure how you gauged your speed as my speedo only goes
>up to 145

My speedo goes to 150mph?

i've had mine upto 130mph (private road again), following a mate from work in his Peugeot 309 GTi, got to his 110mph max so i just but my foot down & walked passed like he was stood still (but i got scared at how quick it was still rising at 130mph, so i backed off)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 01:28   #12
rawmusic

My speedo has 160 on it. I have only seen 120 though. I was a little concerned that the acceleration did seem to drop off somewhat after the change from 3rd to 4th (auto box). I chickened out, since I had only had the car 2 days, and what used to be a slight curve, became a hairpin.

Richard Whennell
855 T5
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 08:51   #13
pault5

hi all,
speedo on my 96 t5 manual also goes to 160mph.
paul.
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:54   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Well, unlike you "private road" brigade (ha ha ha) I took my T5 to Germany. I was pulling an easy 140mph indicated on my calibrated speedo. It was at that point that I was passed by a Brabus Merc, which made me look like I was going backwards! That Kinda ****ed on my BBQ!

As for the UK, I do really try and keep my speed down. Even with the thought of "I will only hurt myself on this empty motorway" I keep thinking of how much hassle I would have, and how hard it would be to keep my job, if I lost my licence. Also, there was that occasion when I picked up three points from a previous driver of my car - I kid you not, the guy who booked me used to train in my car!

Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 20:52   #15
WONGJO

I just drove back from Kent to Manchester on Christmas Eve (240 miles). Decided to set off early morning 5 am (ish) to avoid the xmas rush. Only thing was that everyone had stayed at home so there was no rush on the M11, M1!! Slapped the cruise control on at 110 - 115 so that I could concentrate on spotting any cops!

Luckily none were around till about Sheffield (200 miles in) - for some reason there seems to be millions around Yorkshire and West Yorkshire not sure why?? Worst is M62 Huddersfield to Hull, every bridge they are there like something out of smokey and the bandit.

Of course if any cops are reading this the above never happened I am just speaking to myself, allegedly!

JW
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 21:56   #16
Bashy
Aged Member

>My speedo has 160 on it. I have only seen 120 though. I was a
>little concerned that the acceleration did seem to drop off
>somewhat after the change from 3rd to 4th (auto box). I
>chickened out, since I had only had the car 2 days, and what
>used to be a slight curve, became a hairpin.

Hi Richard

My C70 has 160 on it i have managed 158 but i had a slight hill to help on that score! I had 154 Max without hill! As for the drop off in speed from 3rd to 4th i wouldnt say it would have been much a drop, if ya think about once you changed to 4th it aint reving as harsh therefore has to build back up again an at 120 you not long got out of third should have let it go some more. If you have the sports box try it in the sports mode...You will find that it will stay in 3rd a wee bit longer..!

Regards

Martin Chadwick
Bashy
98 C70 GT T5

http://www.credit-busters.co.uk/C7TEA_small.jpg
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 22:08   #17
sholtby
Premier Member

Anyone ever been to Preston/lancashire? I was there last year and the number of cameras is unbeleivable almost every time you blink a new one comes up. North wales is supposed to be even worse.
I went to visit a cousin in Hull on Sunday. He moved back to the UK from overseas about 7 months ago and has 12 points on his licence and put 6 onto his wifes. I thought 12 points was a ban but he went to court and somehow talked his way out of it. All his points were from exceeding the speed limit by a small margin. He just does a huge mileage each year so his chances of being done are higher.
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 22:29   #18
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

>I thought 12 points was a ban

it is, but if you can prove that by taking your license you will lose your job you get to keep it (it only works once, use it wisely)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote