Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo headscratcher

Views : 575

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2020, 15:18   #1
heckflosse
Premier Member

Default Turbo headscratcher

No, nothing to do with lockdown hairstyles.
Having a bit of bother getting the 265 to start.
Its a LH2.4 system from a 92 240 /200F with ECUS and injector resistor pack from a 91 940 turbo 200FT. Engine was 230ET, all LH sensors swapped over, running inlet manifold and injectors from the LH 940.I believe powerstages are the same, this one is the 240 200F one.
Both donor vehicles were running ok before being broken up some time ago.

There is no spark on cranking from coil or at the plugs, and plugs are dry. Both Pumps buzz and by bridging the main relay there is fuel up at the rail.Pressure is not massive when the union is cracked open though. I havent got an LED test light here so cant see if there is a pulse at the injectors though there is a solid feed on both wires using a normal test light.Same for coil.
The resistor pack for the injectors was checked and I traced through the wiring on ECU pin numbers as per 200FT including using a relay.
Checked OBD codes and both positions show 111.
Manifold earths are good x2.
Strangely there is a spark on a plug when releasing cranking (if that makes sense). Flywheel is the dogdish one from the 200F, not a Motronic one.
I've ploughed through loads of the turbo forum stuff ,mostly American, but am not much wiser.
Ignition switch is 1979 265, would that really be different on a later vehicle as one post suggested?
Flywheel sensor is my favourite suspect as that determines both spark and fuel. There are three pins on it and resistance was about 180 ohms across two pins .No obvious decaying of the covering .
Any advice would be most welcome. Have I missed something daft?
Thanks, Jim

Last edited by heckflosse; Jun 30th, 2020 at 16:31.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 22:52   #2
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Hi,

Couple of things- have you built a code reader? If so you can test sensor inputs including the crank sensor

Ignition amplifier should be the same, but easy to swap it to the 940 one

Is the flywheel definitely in the correct orientation?

Did the 940 have an immobiliser? If so you’ll need a new set of chips to remove the immobiliser function.

No doubt others will have suggestions...

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 08:20   #3
heckflosse
Premier Member

Flywheel.
What a twit, I aligned the blank spot with the TDC sensor at TDC /number 1 . It should be 90 degrees before that.
So, a bit of M46 weighlifting beckons.
Thanks for the ideas , will update when it runs.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 17:31   #4
heckflosse
Premier Member

Well, the overdrive gearbox weight lifting session was not 100% successful. Flywheel was indeed in wrong place, now sorted, but there is still no spark.
Ive tried another powerstage that I know to be good, and another flywheel lead. Even tried swapping back both the old 200F 240 ecus but nothing. Codes keep coming up as 111 which is odd-I tried to store a code by cranking with the flywheel lead off but it didnt register it.
Tried using the later ign switch which made no difference, as expected.
I don't recollect there being an immobiliser on the donor Turbo200FT 940, J or K reg(it was about five years ago it got broken up).
There must be a live or earth missing, will need to go through them when I next get time.

There is no cold start injector on this manifold (200FT), yet I have a spare wire. Can't see that would cause this.
Beginning to run out of ideas.
Thanks, Jim
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:30   #5
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Odd that disconnecting the crank position sensor didn’t result in a fault code coming up. The ezk and the ecu have to be tested separately- if you have the black diagnostic box on the firewall from the 240 then the test pin needs to go into a different position to test each- how have you got it wired up? Or did you build your own box?

Does your coil definitely work and definitely have a good live feed? People have had issues before with lives that shut off during cranking the engine but are live the rest of the time

You said you swapped the ignition amplifier with an known good one- was it from a car with 2.4lh? The k-jet ones look the same but work differently.

What are the last three numbers on the ecu? 984 has an immobiliser- there may be others

Cheers

Last edited by Bugjam1999; Jul 1st, 2020 at 21:33.
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: