Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jack points for changing wheels?

Views : 5874

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2020, 18:02   #21
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
Anyone tried a trolley jack under both the front and rear jack points and lifting both wheels on one side at the same time?
Yes. And that would work. I understand what you are trying to achieve here now, which is rotating tyres rather than just swapping them.

If you want to swap tyres from sides, then this is a real challenge, but doable with maybe three trolley jacks and a very very flat drive.

If you want to just swap front to back and leave the tyres on the same side, then yes you can do this with 2 trolley jacks and this will be far the best solution for you. The problem with axle stands is that the car shifts around when it is jacked, as the jack lifts the car at an angle. So the danger is that it dislodges the axle stand when you jack the next corner up. Trolley jacks have wheels, so will move around a little bit when you jack and so have less propensity to tip over.

I tried once to do some swapping without bothering with the spare. I had one end up on the standard jack and then was going gingerly at another corner with the trolley jack. I also have a sloping drive. I could see the whole lot was teetering and creaking as I started with the trolley jack, so I quickly dropped it to the deck and did it the long way. If I had carried on, I have no doubt it would have tipped the other jack over and the whole lot would have fallen forwards down the drive onto its belly and brake disk....

But back to your problem, yes 2 trolley jacks, one side at a time, chock the other side securely and you should be good. To be super safe and secure, then pump the 2 jacks together and lift the whole side in one smooth and level movement.

In fact, if you just jacked off the back point, you might see that the front wheel almost comes off the ground as well anyway. On the V60, which is lower, the jack actually lifts the front wheel as well from the back jacking point, so I could do the winter wheel swap with only jacking it twice, but it gets the car a bit high, so I tend to do it the long way and move the jack 4 times.

Hopefully this makes sense. 2 trolley jacks, some common sense and chocking the remaining wheels and you shouldn't go too far wrong.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Jul 10th, 2020 at 18:05.
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 19:22   #22
Pipps

Thanks for your reply.

I shall proceed in this manner using two 5 tonne bottle jacks with 400mm lift.

Watch this space...
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 21:11   #23
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I shall proceed in this manner using two 5 tonne bottle jacks with 400mm lift.

Watch this space...
Glad to help. Let us know how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 14:45   #24
Pipps

Suddenly everything made sense:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 16:21   #25
Pipps

Today I successfully used the principles outlined in the above video and it worked out perfectly.

I bought a pair of plain 20 mm thick rubber "hockey puck" jack spacers on eBay here for £3.50 each.

I also purchased a pair of flat-topped 2-tonne scissor jacks which lift to 400 mm on eBay here for £10 each.

I needed to buy a new jack as Kwik Fit stole my original Volvo jack while repairing a NSF nail puncture last year.

To join the wooden pieces, I already had some 5x60 mm wood screws leftover from an earlier fencing project.

I also bought eight 50 mm thick basic paving bricks at 35p each. As the ground was bumpy, I also two paving slabs.

I bought a single 2.4m-long plank of "two-by-four", or 40 cm by 89 cm timber, from a local DIY superstore for £4.50.

I first cut two 27 cm sections from the timber, and then a further twenty 9 cm (89 mm) sections as well.

I screwed six 9 cm pieces as legs onto each of the 27 cm pieces, and then screwed each puck on top.

Total cost of £7.15 each (excluding jacks - you could borrow a neighbour's). Very enjoyable to make.

I am not recommending that anyone else do this, but just want to show how easy it can be done.

A very cheap and easy way to rotate car tyres for getting the maximum mileage.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 17:47   #26
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Looking at your car there, reminds me of my time living in Greater Manchester in the late 90's.......

My neighbour came out one morning to find his Mondeo ST-24 was supported by his rockery rather than by its wheels......
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 18:09   #27
EssexExile
Master Member

I thought it was posted as a joke, I didn't think anyone would really do it!