Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 N0 Power

Views : 869

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 16:51   #1
ampy

Angry XC90 N0 Power

HELP PLEASE! This car is driving me mad so maybe a fresh clever mind could find the solution.

It is a 2.4 D5 (T18) engine in an XC90. It has no fault codes in Vida.

It lacks any power and seems to have a mind of its own.
Sometimes it starts first time, sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds to fire up.

When it starts, it idles well, smooth and quiet but refuses to rev above idle like the throttle is not connected. 30 seconds or so later it starts responding. The warmer the engine gets the better it runs but at no point does it have enough power to be safe to drive very far. It is also an auto so you cannot get the revs up for more power.

I found an invoice in the history file from an ECU tuning company for DPF removal, EGR delete and a tune.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have replaced or substituted with known good items most things including sensors but not the actual turbo. I have a known good turbo standing by but its a lot of work on an XC90 and Vida says the turbo is working. You can also here it spool up and the vanes are working.

It has new injectors. Timing belt is all good. Compression good. Fuel pressures good. I have also fitted a replacement ECU but it was cloned from the original so still using the modified maps.

I did buy a standard map from a company but it ended up to be useless as it was not complete. They would not refund and then I found they have a bad rep on here GRRR!

The ECU does log and record error codes if you intentionally cause one.

It really seems to be in full on limp mode but why no error codes?

My own thoughts are saying:
ECU files
Turbo.
Somehow a valve timing issue even though all the marks are spot on.

Anyone care to offer some wisdom before the last of my hair falls out?

Maybe Simon Cheshired5, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 15:01   #2
davebb
Premier Member

Hi with the D5 ecu, you can not upload a map from a tuner or another car (standard map)
as the map has info on it for your car immobilizer, so when a tuner mods a D5 they need the file from your cars ECU Then they mod that,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 16:47   #3
reggit
Premier Member

Not familiar with the engine (I don’t know engine codes, what age is it?), so may not be any use...

Is the intake side clear, sure you’ve checked it though.

Is the EGR physically present, and if so is this causing an issue?

Is this the engine with swirl flaps? If so, are they working?

If all the hardware is present, I’d be minded to get the engine ECU reloaded by Volvo to put it in a known good state although you’d obviously loose your tune. This will obviously come with the costs to do the job and getting the car to them if it’s not drivable.
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 19:26   #4
ampy

Smile Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Not familiar with the engine (I don’t know engine codes, what age is it?), so may not be any use...

Is the intake side clear, sure you’ve checked it though.

Is the EGR physically present, and if so is this causing an issue?

Is this the engine with swirl flaps? If so, are they working?

If all the hardware is present, I’d be minded to get the engine ECU reloaded by Volvo to put it in a known good state although you’d obviously loose your tune. This will obviously come with the costs to do the job and getting the car to them if it’s not drivable.
Hi.
Thanks for your input.
It is a 2011 car. Intake is clear. EGR is present and connected. I have also tested the EGR in another car and it works 100%
Yes it does have swirl flaps and they work properly. They go threw the test on Vida and self calibrate as they should.

Getting it to Volvo for a full Reload is probably my next move. The downside of that is I will have to get DPF and fit it or will get instant error code for that. and it could put it into limp mode.
I have copied the tuned file but if their is some error in the software I would not want to risk trying it again. Although, if I can copy the reloaded data it should be recoverable next time.

I'm hoping someone comes along and says, I had that exact problem. It was,,,,, I live in hope :-)
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 19:36   #5
ampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi with the D5 ecu, you can not upload a map from a tuner or another car (standard map)
as the map has info on it for your car immobilizer, so when a tuner mods a D5 they need the file from your cars ECU Then they mod that,
Dave
Hi Dave,
There seems to be 3 files within the ECU One has the code data for keys, imob, stereo, all the other modules and ECU's. One is a temp memory for error codes etc and then their is the map. Directly accessing the ECU on the bench, It seems that I can copy, swap and edit the map (if I knew what I was doing with it that is) I could be wrong but that is how it seems.
The file I purchased did not have all the data the car requires to operate. Apparently, someone who knows how to do this stuff could merge it but because they read it from OBD it leaves a lot of the required data off. If I load it with an OBD program, they tell me it will then work so will not refund.
Thanks for getting back to me and If I have it wrong please do say. I won;t be offended.
Thanks,
Ampy.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 19:29   #6
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I am not shore on this ecu , as I have only played with my 2002 D5 ecu
But go to, ecuconnections.com
and ask on there, there is some very good people on there,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post: