Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26391

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 14:32   #161
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I've become aware of a slight chuffing noise from the engine bay of my XC90, so this morning, following a bit of googling and youtubing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHLyubTrIQ8), I had a poke around under the bonnet.

Sure enough, the soft chuff chuff chuff becomes a pronounced POP POP POP noise when I take off the oil filler cap, confirming that my worn engine mounts are probably shot.

Given that family matters still preclude me from going very far, I'm planning to use the local garage who replaced my boost pipe a few months back to do the engine mounts.

Anyone know the approximate cost of replacing the engine mounts with genuine Volvo parts? Anything that should be done at the same time?

As ever, thanks in advance for any assistance!

There are two vacuum engine mounts and their integrity is easily checked with a cheap vacuum gauge. Any loss of vacuum could also obviously caused by a failure of the associated vacuum pipes.

With your mileage the mounts are probably tired anyway but I would still have them checked rather than just replaced as a matter of course.👍

See this excellent vid from Cheshired5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDz4xnJms

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Jul 11th, 2020 at 14:35.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 21:11   #162
gmonag
Premier Member

The mounts are approx £100 each and the whole job will be around £400-500.

I would check the whole vacuum system for leaks before you start spending.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 21:54   #163
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

the front vacuum mount is very easy to replace and it can easily be done in 20 minutes.

The rear one is much harder on the XC90 due to limited access. That said, still doable.

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 11:56   #164
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
See this excellent vid from Cheshired5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDz4xnJms
That really is an excellent video! I was able to articulate the issue very clearly to the garage this morning. Cap appropriately doffed to Cheshired5.

Thanks for sharing S60D5-185.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 12:43   #165
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

One point Odysseus,

Simon ( Cheshired5 ) showed replacing front and rear vacuum mounts on an S60.

The front mount procedure illustrated is identical on S60 and XC90.

The rear vacuum mount on the XC90 is much harder to access than on Simons car because of the Angle gear which provides drive to the rear wheels.

A point worth mentioning to the garage.👍

Old Jul 13th, 2020, 19:11   #166
jshack

My 2010 xc90, with the same mileage (195k) is showing the same symptoms with the popping noise when removing the oil filler, and quietens down when clamping off the vacuum hose. Odysseus - I’d be interested to know how much this costs to repair - I feel happy tackling the front one as DIY but not the rear one as access seems very limited. Is there a risk to running It like that in the interim? Thanks James
jshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 13:13   #167
Odysseus

Irritatingly my local garage, who were so responsive and helpful when my turbo pipe cracked, have been surly and dismissive when it comes to the engine mounts.

That said, I do rate the guy's mechanical skills, even if his Volvo knowledge and customer service is a bit wanting, so I'll still get them to do the work. Booked in for next Thursday.

He's going to do the two lower mounts - front and back, and they're about £100 each (genuine parts from Volvo). I imagine the eventual bill will be in the £300 to £400 range. I'll of course update this thread when it's done.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I've had quite enough of bloody Coronavirus now. With the kids stuck at home it just seems impossible to be able to get away and get things sorted like I would ordinarily do. Roll on September...
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 16:52   #168
Odysseus

Well, the Volvo is back on my driveway with ONE new engine mount.

I suppose to their credit they called me half way through the job this morning and said replacing the rear engine mount looks like a very complicated task which may necessitate dropping the subframe, and they wanted my permission to continue. They also stated the rear engine mount looked in far better shape than the (very obviously knackered) front mount.

At this point I figured discretion is the better part of valour when it comes to preserving my wallet, so I let them go ahead and change the front mount only.

Once the car was home I removed the oil filler cap and I can still here a slight popping, but it's significantly quieter than it was before replacement. Is this normal?

I haven't had a chance to take the car out yet (they did a collection and drop off) to see if it's smoother, but it can't have hurt to have replaced an non-functional engine mount, so I'm going to chalk this up as a win.

Shiny new front mount in situ.

Eventual bill = £213.

Once the kids go back to school and I regain control of how I spend my day Ii think I'll get it booked in with IVS to get things looked at properly.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 18:38   #169
gmonag
Premier Member

It seems that basic spanner turning is not something garages want to do any more. The rear mount is a bit tight to get at, but I managed to DIY the job on my drive with basic tools.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 21:56   #170
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Well, the Volvo is back on my driveway with ONE new engine mount.

I suppose to their credit they called me half way through the job this morning and said replacing the rear engine mount looks like a very complicated task which may necessitate dropping the subframe, and they wanted my permission to continue. They also stated the rear engine mount looked in far better shape than the (very obviously knackered) front mount.

At this point I figured discretion is the better part of valour when it comes to preserving my wallet, so I let them go ahead and change the front mount only.

Once the car was home I removed the oil filler cap and I can still here a slight popping, but it's significantly quieter than it was before replacement. Is this normal?

I haven't had a chance to take the car out yet (they did a collection and drop off) to see if it's smoother, but it can't have hurt to have replaced an non-functional engine mount, so I'm going to chalk this up as a win.

Shiny new front mount in situ.

Eventual bill = £213.

Once the kids go back to school and I regain control of how I spend my day Ii think I'll get it booked in with IVS to get things looked at properly.
A slight popping noise is normal.