Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clearing SRS codes

Views : 1239

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:07   #1
Seamus

Default Clearing SRS codes

Is this possible? Tried VIDA and 2 other scanners. Changed things to alter the fault codes, but still have the originals. Is this a dealer only or an SRS reprogramme?
2006 V70 D5 185 auto
Thanks for any help
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 10:52   #2
reggit
Premier Member

Vida will clear SRS codes. If the issue won’t clear, you have a fault that needs repairing.

Oh, and you are posting in the P3 section, you need to post in the P2 section for your car.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 11:14   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Morning , don't just clear the codes . Read them & write them down & then clear the codes . If the light comes back on make sure you have the same error code and not a different one . Due to reading you have tried 3 different devices I would presume you have a fault that requires sorting before the error is deletable

Once you have the code/s you can research them & find a solution to the cause of the light coming on .

I no longer clear codes / turn off warning lights as they always come back on & then the numpty bends my ear saying I have not fixed the fault .

Any one owning a Vida/Dice system , snap-on scanner / Maxidiag system or similar dealer level device can read & clear codes . Fleabay specials from China are very unlikely to get past engine ecu code reading / deleting
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:33   #4
Seamus

Thank you both for the replies. The codes read are
all SRS related
0071 permanent Left rear tensioner signal too low
0072 permanent Left rear tensioner capacitance too high
0074 permanent Left rear tensioner resistance too high
010D permanent Left rear circuit fault

I have disconnected the connector to the tensioner and it made no difference to the codes or allowed clearing them.
Also substituted a resistor into the plug and no difference as above.
Checked continuity from plug to connector on SRS unit and ok.

Trying to see if its the tensioner or the SRS unit
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 18:55   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Sounds like the tensioner is faulty, or it’s discharged at some point. Guessing you’d know the second one so I’d look at getting a 2nd hand tensioner and seeing what it says on Vida.

Vida should guide you through a fault finding process to confirm.

Last edited by reggit; Jul 16th, 2020 at 19:01.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 19:42   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Click on each code then click description and Vida should explain the circumstances which trigger the code and the possible causes and fixes.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 22:41   #7
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Going by those fault codes, it looks like you have a wiring issue. Check cabling and connectors for corrosion etc.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 08:16   #8
dingov70
Master Member

Morning Seamus , simply unplugging & refitting the cable or fitting resistor does not work to remove codes . The codes need to be cleared after the unplug / refit several times process and the same before you install the resistor . SRS codes are known as hard codes that will not simply reset after so many correct functions at power up . It is also possible the tensioner has " fired " & then you will not be able to clear the codes without replacing the seatbelt unit

Ignore the final code & deal with the top 3 , They all indicate an issue that possibly is nothing more than corroded contacts on that circuit . break & remake the multiplug connection spraying wd40 or similar as you do so , with a few final sprays of brake cleaner to remove any traces of wd40 , or whatever you used . Spray lubes tend to attract dirt & dust making the problem reoccur , I tend to apply silicone grease around lead end of plug before fitting .

Hoping this helps
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 10:05   #9
Whyman
Premier Member

WD40 do a specific contract cleaner that may help resolve the problem.
Old Jul 17th, 2020, 21:36   #10
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Many cars suffer fault warnings on pyrotechnic devices like tensioners because the same wiring is used to test the circuit as is used to fire it. The difference is that the test voltages are very small and the current will not operated the igniter. If there is a corrosion problem on a connector in the circuit and by that I mean a very slight rise in the impedance, the ECU will not recognise the returned test current as a pass and fail the system. The same connector would probably pass the very high voltage needed to fir the device so in actuality it is operational despite the warnings. However the car would never pas an MoT with the warnings and you wouldn't wan t to gamble with the possible fault, so it's worth checking all the connectors in the circuit.

On a previous car I found that the tensioner firing cables ran at the lowest point under the seats and were prone to damp just from wet shoes on the carpets when it rained. The only reason there are connectors in the circuit is for the assembly on the line or for the removal of the seat so I cut out the connectors and soldered the joints and never had another problem. I never needed to remove the seat but if I did, I'd have known that the soldered joints would have to be broken.