Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Aux/Cam Belt fix

Views : 3231

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2020, 12:03   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The only one which should be used are the one with VOLVO stamped on them ... volvo parts are nearly always to volvo's own specifications which are better than the ones you mention .. at least you have some comeback if it falls apart .Dayco aren't going to have any interest whatsoever .. you get what you pay for i have found in my 45 year Volvo career .
That wasn't my question. Is the Volvo OEM aux belt also sold under a manufacturer's own brand?
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 12:28   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
That wasn't my question. Is the Volvo OEM aux belt also sold under a manufacturer's own brand?
"continental" rings a bell ...
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 09:33   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Maybe... maybe not... you will never know.

It’s a frequently debated topic on here driven by the price of some genuine parts but when Volvo spend millions on R&D and then get a company to make parts to their spec they will nearly always protect their intellectual property by not allowing the company to sell the exact same parts themselves. This is true for brake discs, pads, wiper blades, batteries, bulbs, belts, bearings, filters, etc. Even spark plugs.

Contitech, which is part of Continental AG, do make a lot of belts for manufacturers, and also sell to retail under their own brand.

The common exceptions are parts for the Ford engines, belts sold by Volvo are often Gates.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jun 13th, 2020 at 09:37.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 10:03   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

It’s a frequently debated topic on here driven by the price of some genuine parts but when Volvo spend millions on R&D and then get a company to make parts to their spec they will nearly always protect their intellectual property by not allowing the company to sell the exact same parts themselves. This is true for brake discs, pads, wiper blades, batteries, bulbs, belts, bearings, filters, etc. Even spark plugs.

Contitech, which is part of Continental AG, do make a lot of belts for manufacturers, and also sell to retail under their own brand.

The common exceptions are parts for the Ford engines, belts sold by Volvo are often Gates.
I know, I asked the question because of the 'direness quotient' of the warning (as if Volvo would be receptive to a claim for a rebuild if a Volvo-boxed aux belt failed and interfered with the timing belt, any more than Dayco and the like!)

Tooling costs from OEM suppliers mean modest changes only at most for their 'own label' parts. We generally, if we're active on the Forum, know the exceptions/mantras:

'Thou shalt not change an OEM water pump unless it feeleth rough, and if so, thou shalt always fit oEM' springs to mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 12:36   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

I would agree on all of the above in my 40+ years working within the volvo group .
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 13:38   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would agree on all of the above in my 40+ years working within the volvo group .
I haven't worked in the Volvo Group for 40+ years (nor 45)

Could you let us know some cases where Volvo has stood the cost of collateral damage caused by the failure of its branded products any more than any other manufacturer - out of warranty that is.

Do you have cases you can cite for us where reputable aftermarket brands (like Dayco, for instance, who also do OEM work, as we know) have failed within the relevant Volvo service interval?

That would be insightful for readers. Statements such as "you get what you pay for" don't add much value - especially as many people do have to have regard to cost, and the differential between a Volvo-boxed item and an OEM is not insignificant.

That's why many people come onto Forums for help and advice to run their cars most cost effectively. Many thanks in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 16:36   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
I know, I asked the question because of the 'direness quotient' of the warning (as if Volvo would be receptive to a claim for a rebuild if a Volvo-boxed aux belt failed and interfered with the timing belt, any more than Dayco and the like!)

Tooling costs from OEM suppliers mean modest changes only at most for their 'own label' parts. We generally, if we're active on the Forum, know the exceptions/mantras:

'Thou shalt not change an OEM water pump unless it feeleth rough, and if so, thou shalt always fit oEM' springs to mind
The tooling might well be the same, the materials are where the differences are most likely.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 17:02   #18
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
The tooling might well be the same, the materials are where the differences are most likely.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but do you think that, say Dayco, since they've been mentioned, has different recipes for different aux belts, for instance?

To take an extreme example (but a hugely important one to those who run Volvos fitted with them), is the 4C Monroe front damper for c£200 from Autodoc materially different to buying one with a Volvo badge on it, except that the latter's double the cost, and some?

The answer is no. Volvo use an off-the-shelf electronically controlled damper for their cars, made by Monroe. That knowledge makes a huge Financial difference, come the inevitable day when they fail.

I'm just saying that it's a more sophisticated conversation than simply "Volvo good, Brand X bad".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2020, 17:21   #19
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
I'm not trying to be difficult, but do you think that, say Dayco, since they've been mentioned, has different recipes for different aux belts, for instance?

To take an extreme example (but a hugely important one to those who run Volvos fitted with them), is the 4C Monroe front damper for c£200 from Autodoc materially different to buying one with a Volvo badge on it, except that the latter's double the cost, and some?

The answer is no. Volvo use an off-the-shelf electronically controlled damper for their cars, made by Monroe. That knowledge makes a huge Financial difference, come the inevitable day when they fail.

I'm just saying that it's a more sophisticated conversation than simply "Volvo good, Brand X bad".
You make some good points. I've always believed that the purpose of buying 'genuine' parts from a dealer was that you would then know that the part was at least good enough. Other aftermarket parts could be just as good - or even better - but as a layperson you could never be sure.

My last car was a Honda Accord and in conjunction with others (including a Honda technician) on an internet forum (the late HondaKarma forum) we built up a database of which manufacturers actually made the parts that Honda put into the boxes.

But personally - in the absence of actual facts - I'll still be perfectly happy to use a Gates or a Dayco cambelt next year when a change is due, however I'd rather use a Volvo tensioner unless the OEM supplier has been positively identified, as a lot of aftermarket parts are utter ****e.
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 00:13   #20
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
But personally - in the absence of actual facts - I'll still be perfectly happy to use a Gates or a Dayco cambelt next year when a change is due, however I'd rather use a Volvo tensioner unless the OEM supplier has been positively identified, as a lot of aftermarket parts are utter ****e.
IIRC "INA" (Made in Germany) make the so called "Genuine Volvo" cam belt tensioners.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auto Addict For This Useful Post:

Tags
aux belt, aux belt snapped, timing belt