Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low battery warning

Views : 1867

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2020, 12:54   #1
Elizakate

Default Low battery warning

My 2017 Volvo V40 had not been on the road for several weeks due to lockdown. On Monday I decided to take the car for a run. It started with no problem but the Stop/Start function did not work. When I returned and switched off the engine I received the message "Battery low Charge". Can you advise what type of charger I need? I have a charger which is a few years old but I think it is probably not suitable for a Stop/Start car.

This may seem like a very basic question but I am a non technical female so please be kind!

Thank you.
Elizakate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 13:14   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Have a look on the CTEK website to see the best one for your car and battery type.

To connect it you need to connect the positive - red lead to the positive battery terminal also with a large red wire coming from it and the negative black lead to a good earth position on the vehicle. Both need to make good metal to metal contact. Once you are happy with this connect to the mains.

To disconnect unplug from the mains before disconnecting the two lead from the charger.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 14:51   #3
bradams

Question Low battery Warning

Funny how Volvo minds think alike.

I logged on to the forum because I was considering a 'battery conditioner' for my 2016 XC60 (which also has stop/start). I've been getting 'Low battery' off and on for several weeks now, despite replacing the battery as a precaution, and despite going for a weeky run to 'nowhere'.

Any do's or don'ts or types to avoid?
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 15:41   #4
Elizakate

Thank you Whyman! I have ordered a CTEK CT5 which should do the trick.
Your help is much appreciated.
Old Jun 10th, 2020, 18:36   #5
scbamber

Well done for getting a proper charger like CTEK so quickly after posting. You won't regret it, and anyway it's guaranteed for 5 years. I have had my CTEK MXS 5 for 3 years and wouldn't be without it.

If you have 5 minutes, look at the Youtube video done by CTEK here . Incidentally you do NOT need to disconnect the battery and can charge it whilst it is fully connected in the car (page 6 on the manual). The CTEK video only shows it being done on a battery on the bench so as to make it an easy video to watch.

It is worth fixing the "Comfort connect lead" (which comes with the charger) permanently to the car's positive terminal (red wire) and to a nearby screw on the chassis for the negative wire (black). Connecting up each time is then even simpler than using the crocodile clips. If you don't want to fix this little lead yourself, a local friend could surely do it free for you as it only takes 5 minutes. Never use the excuse of being a non-technical female but we know what you mean!!

There is good anecdotal evidence that:
1: original Volvo batteries like yours which was new in 2017 can last a decade or more unlike after-market ones. In my case I've had 4 Volvo original batteries that have passed the 10 year point.

2: charging regularly with a charger like CTEK or Noco helps improve battery life.

I agree with all the advice helpfully and clearly given by Whyman.

Last edited by scbamber; Jun 10th, 2020 at 18:55.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 10:51   #6
Elizakate

scbamber

Thanks for the advice about the youTube video. I will certainly have a look at it. The charger is due to arrive today. Excellent service from Tayna Batteries. By the way, does the battery charger for my car HAVE to be specifically for stop/start or would any trickle battery do? The reason I ask is that I was told by someone that any trickle battery charger would do. I decided to take the advice given here about the CTEK charger. Just wonder if my so called expert friend knew what he was talking about!
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 13:51   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizakate View Post
scbamber

Thanks for the advice about the youTube video. I will certainly have a look at it. The charger is due to arrive today. Excellent service from Tayna Batteries. By the way, does the battery charger for my car HAVE to be specifically for stop/start or would any trickle battery do? The reason I ask is that I was told by someone that any trickle battery charger would do. I decided to take the advice given here about the CTEK charger. Just wonder if my so called expert friend knew what he was talking about!
You do need a smart charger if your battery is an AGM type (the one on my Volvo isn't).
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 14:30   #8
scbamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
You do need a smart charger if your battery is an AGM type.
Quite right. The advantage of the CTEK is that it not only caters for AGM but also for EFB (enhanced flooded batteries) and SLA (standard lead acid) batteries as well. The other thing about traditional old-school chargers is that there is a risk of boiling a battery and so destroying it.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 14:45   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
Quite right. The advantage of the CTEK is that it not only caters for AGM but also for EFB (enhanced flooded batteries) and SLA (standard lead acid) batteries as well. The other thing about traditional old-school chargers is that there is a risk of boiling a battery and so destroying it.
I do have a smart charger, as our Kia has an AGM battery... it's made by Hyundai (far cheaper than a CTEK) but can be set for use on all types of lead acid batteries. I agree that I'd be reluctant to charge my EFB battery on an old 'low-tech' trickle charger.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 20:54   #10
Elizakate

Whyman, Another query for you. I received my charger this afternoon and have been watching the videos as suggested by another member. One of the functions on the charger is for an AGM battery. In the owners manual for my car it says " When replacing the starter battery in cars with the Start/Stop function, a battery of EFB type or stronger must be installed. When replacing the support battery, a battery of AGM type must be fitted". I believe the car has two batteries so do I use the AGM function? I am so frightened of doing something wrong!!