Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 sway bar

Views : 1870

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2020, 11:13   #11
Whitey889J

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge on the subject. I for one would be very interested to know how you get on. The roads around here are appalling, in fact I describe them as third world, so your comments are particularly timely.

Ian
Whitey889J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 14:00   #12
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
Yes that is most likely what I will do but there is a spring manufacturer near me so I will enquire there and would get them to make it. You can get springs for the car made to your spec for about £50 so doubt it would be too expensive.

No I won’t be fitting one to the rear. For the 140, R sport only recommended doing this for the race track on smooth roads. Also if you want a decent handling and steering 140 I would not lower it or don’t lower it more than 20mm on standard suspension setup. This seems to be pretty much the consensus.

You can buy 22mm and 25mm front bars from VP autoparts in Sweden. What sort of roads you drive on really dictates what size arb you should use. Rob’s daughter at Amazon cars has a 142 which she rally’s and doesn’t run a front ARB at all. If the roads you drive on are lovely and smooth consider a 22, but if they are bumpy and undulating like here I think 18mm might be a good first try.

I am going to try 164 front springs, standard rear springs, Bilsteins B6 all round, front poly bushes on the wishbones and new rubber bushes for the rest. I have new 165 80 15 tyres so not building a race car. You don’t need more than 185s for sticking to the road, anything more is for show. I was unsure about the Bilsteins but a few guys who I trust their judgement said go for them, Rob at Amazon cars being one. Koni classics are another option if you can find them.
I did have time to have a look into my documents.
My own 142 I'm running with:
164 springs front
142/144 rear
B6 front
Koni red rear
And: 164 anti roll bar 18mm :-) enjoy

My front axle is modified heavily too, you will have to see it by your own. If Johnson won't kick your country out of the European Union and it will be still possible to have a journey to Great Britain, my daughter and I will visit your beautifully Island 21 or 22 with the 142.

Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 14:38   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
164 springs front
142/144 rear
B6 front
Koni red rear

My front axle is modified heavily too, you will have to see it by your own. If Johnson won't kick your country out of the European Union and it will be still possible to have a journey to Great Britain, my daughter and I will visit your beautifully Island 21 or 22 with the 142.

Good luck, Kay
Thanks Kay. Good to know a 164 ARB is 18mm, I just need to find one now.
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 17:07   #14

When i was rallying 140's we sometimes used a 164 Roll bar i seem to recall they were available in different diameters.
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 21:49   #15
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post
When i was rallying 140's we sometimes used a 164 Roll bar i seem to recall they were available in different diameters.
yes, early and late production.

18mm is on a 1973 for shure
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2020, 14:35   #16
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Sourced an old 164 bar, currently on it's way up here. Hoping to get time next week to make the change.
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 17:25   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
164 springs front
142/144 rear
B6 front
Koni red rear

Good luck, Kay
I am very interested in your use of the 164 anti roll bar. I have a 1971 142 E with IPD front and rear anti roll bars. With the Amazon Cars 140 road springs and Bilstein HD yellow body shocks that I have fitted I find the car fairly unpleasant on broken pavement with the IPD bars. Also, having fitted the IPD bars I am not entirely sold on any real handling improvement unless you really dislike the 'perception' of body roll.

I have been planning to replace the IPD ARBs with an original 140 ARB (as soon as I can find a salvage one). However, the larger 164 bar might be a nice compromise between the 15 mm OEM bar and 25 mm IPD bar (also assuming that my search for a salvage 164 bar will be any more successful than a 140 bar). Was the 164 a drop in replacement for the 140 bar (other than the bushing size) or did it require modification.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2020, 17:30   #18
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I sourced a 164 ARB but the arms are longer so doesn’t fit directly.