Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar 2

Views : 5266

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2020, 20:18   #1
anotherv60
Master Member

Thumbs up Polestar 2

Hi All,

Now that the Polestar 2 has started deliveries in the UK (https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2020-uk-review) Should this thread be expanded to include the Polestar 2?

Some arguments for it would be:

1)Polestar 2 is based on the CMA architecture, same as the XC40
2) Polestar is a sub brand of Volvo

AnotherV60
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 23:44   #2
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Polestar, like Volvo are now subsidiaries of Geely. The concepts of the XC40 and polestar 2 were both shown as Volvo concepts. If you look at the videos of the polestar 2’s interior and exterior it is unmistakably a Volvo. The Polestar 2 has almost identical specs to the XC40.
However I’m sure the purists will say it isn’t a Volvo despite being serviced in a Volvo dealership but as far as I’m concerned, I’ll have two Volvos, an Xc90 and a polestar 2 (when it arrives).
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 03:14   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

I always thought that the Polestar, much like, say Brabus (merc) and AC Schnitzer (BMW) were originally built as a Volvo, it then leaves Vovo and goes to where ever Polestar is to have the modifications done, way off? to me it deffo looks Vovo and should have a place here, BUT if am way off (happens to me a lot) and the whole thing is manufactured by Polestar from the ground up, then no, its not a Volvo, it is a Polestar, just cause its using items built by Volvo does not make it a Volvo.
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 16:16   #4
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I always thought that the Polestar, much like, say Brabus (merc) and AC Schnitzer (BMW) were originally built as a Volvo, it then leaves Vovo and goes to where ever Polestar is to have the modifications done, way off? to me it deffo looks Vovo and should have a place here, BUT if am way off (happens to me a lot) and the whole thing is manufactured by Polestar from the ground up, then no, its not a Volvo, it is a Polestar, just cause its using items built by Volvo does not make it a Volvo.
It’s made from scratch in a factory in China owned by Geely but operated by Volvo. They also make the XC40 there (as well as in Belgium). By your definition the Polestar 2 shouldn’t be on this site.

A reason for having the polestar on here is that it will share similar issues to the XC40 -given the electric versions are very, very similar

Perhaps the precedent is the 300/66 section which were arguably not really Volvos

Last edited by Rentagas; Jul 16th, 2020 at 16:23.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rentagas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 20:02   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Perhaps they should include the London Taxi on here too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 08:41   #6
MisterGee19

The CEO of Polestar is the ex-chief of design for Volvo.

Maybe a better solution would be to have a separate EV subforum? being that the Polestar2 and XC40 recharge are cut from the same cloth? (and there will be more to follow)
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 14:52   #7
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Whilst it shares the platform and will have lots in common with the XC40 p8 recharge, it probably doesn't have that much on common with other XC40s. Infotainment it's lightyears ahead with its android based system.

So yeah as someone else said, if you are going to include it, include that taxi too.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 17:05   #8
svensktoppen

This is such a typical VOC "argument", lol A separate "EV" sub-forum sounds reasonable.

Polestar used to be the race team. Up to and including the T6 V60 Polestar they did indeed take production cars off the line in Goteborg and ship them across the road to Polestar to do their thing.

So they were Polestar cars with a Volvo badge up front, serviced and sold through Volvo dealers. Some body bits were shipped in the boot and fitted by the final dealer, and so on.

Since then Polestar is now "just" a Volvo sub-brand, like "M" or "AMG" or "S". Or perhaps more like "Nismo" or "Infinity" or "Lexus".

So now they are Volvo cars with a Polestar badge up front, serviced and sold through Volvo dealers.

Either way, they're all Volvos, lol.

Last edited by svensktoppen; Aug 10th, 2020 at 17:08.
svensktoppen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svensktoppen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 12:49   #9
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

Default Definitely not a Volvo

Obviously not a Volvo. Not a Volvo design definitely
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BBEA0A9D-6F71-42B9-9E55-FE767494A28A.jpeg (323.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg C5262C2B-18FA-41BA-AA7D-FFC18FAFF0B8.jpg (35.2 KB, 22 views)
Old Oct 18th, 2020, 14:03   #10
Cull06
Master Member

My mates just had a Polestar 2 delivered which I’ve been out and about in. Lovely motor. Feels very Volvo inside and indeed a lot of the internal finish is shared with Volvo.

Far nicer than a Tesla...

Tags
polestar 2;