Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rear seat catch broken & radio problems

Views : 914

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:19   #1
mat_g

Default rear seat catch broken & radio problems

Hello,

The rear seat catch lever on the single folding seat (o/s) has broken on my '99 V40. Does anyone know how to release the catch mechanism without the lever, so I can fold the seat forward and get access to the catch housing?

Also, I can't get a radio reception on the car stereo. Nothing but white noise. I've removed the unit and checked the aerial is plugged in, but that all seems fine. Is there a connection at the aerial end (roof mounted at rear), or any other connections I can check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Mat.
mat_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 12:30   #2
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: rear seat catch broken & radio problems

mat

which bit has snapped, the bit on the top of the seat that you pull forward ?

the aerial, pop the light out that is at the back of the car, in the head lining, you should be able to see the aerial lead connecting to the aerial.

if you decide to check the lead make sure it doesnt slip inside the roof lining.

cheers

scott

GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 13:42   #3
mat_g

Hi Scott,

The release handle (on the top of the seat) has a plastic arm protruding from underneath it, which connects to the catch mechanism. This plastic arm has snapped about 3" below the handle.
I've looked at carefully prising the catch from the back, but with no success. I wonder if I can release the catch from the top, where the release handle sits?

Cheers for the radio advice. I'll have a look at that connection to check if it's good (or whether it's already slipped inside the roof lining... :()

thanks,
Mat.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 14:21   #4
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mat

the clip on the top clips onto a metal bar that should sit level with the top of the seat. if the clip snaps you should still be able to see the metal bar..

i take it non of this is visible, and you cant see jack down the hole ?

i cant recall if the seats can be removed by lifting the seat cushion and undoing the bolts, but that may give you enough access to remove the cover and release the catch.

if you havnt got the haynes manual i'll gladly send you the pages on seat removal

cheers

scott

GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 16:48   #5
mat_g

cheers for your help Scott,

I'll try to have good look at it over the weekend and see i can release the catch somehow, either by levering the mechanism from the top or by removing the seat.

Cheers for the offer of the Haynes pages. I should be ok. I've actually got a Haynes manual on order from Amazon and it should be with me anyday now...

thanks,
Mat.