Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

spotted 145 Lostwithiel, Cornwall

Views : 1143

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2015, 23:00   #1
kolby

Default spotted 145 Lostwithiel, Cornwall

spotted a cool looking series 1 145 driving through lostwithiel today, cream/off white colour looked very nice!
Old May 2nd, 2015, 14:00   #2
Angie
Premier Member

It will have been this one, I posted this picture in the 'spotted' section -

I had a chat with the owner, very pleasant young man, as I'd already exchanged waves when passing. Apparently he plans to carry out some work - closer look does show some rusty areas - and obviously really likes his car, and 240s too.

I wrote somewhere else how these cars seem to appeal to a younger market now, and it's good that at least some lovely Volvo classics will be kept on the road.

I have to say that once or twice the 145 has passed by when I've been out walking, and it's sounding just a bit poorly. Hope it's nothing serious.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 16:52   #3
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

This is the one that was in Bournemouth until a few years back. I went to see it when it was offered for sale on here.
Grille has changed since though to the earlier type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (182.9 KB, 26 views)
Old May 2nd, 2015, 20:54   #4
Angie
Premier Member

I don't know if the owner visits this site, I thought he said he did, but it was several weeks ago and the ageing memory isn't what it was! If I see him to talk to I'll remind him of the forum, it could be a help to him, with such a wealth of knowledge here. I do remember him saying that he went quite a way to get the car, could well have been Dorset.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 21:17   #5
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

The car sold from Bournemouth to a forum member in Lancashire who then sold it in Jan 2014 as advertised here :

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=194582

I can only presume the current owner bought it from them or maybe another owner in between?
Old May 7th, 2015, 00:44   #6
brickman
Premier Member

Older volvos (probably not amazon's though, yet) are definitely in the interest of younger folk. I'm 28 and have been into my 80s saabs + volvos for a while, if initially only because of access to cheap turbo performance.

140 + 240 series cars for the last few years in the UK have been gaining popularity, no doubt helped by the masses of good things done over on turbo bricks.

I'm currently on the search for a very early 242 flat hood and a <1974 (for tax exempt though not critical really) 145 for a set of projects. 145 will have a D5252t engine with some mod's + D24 gearbox + lowest rear end I can find + suspension + bumper shave. Want a car that has classic looks, but will do 50mpg+ and can be driven everyday without worry.

Solid enough 140's are hard to find in the UK, I don't own a bodyshop so getting serious metal work done is off the cards, will likely be a US import as a solid rolling shell goes for less than $500
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 17:37   #7
huron
Master Member

Smile

The 145 you spotted and spoke to the owner is my grandson Angie.
We live in Bodmin and I have two V70's.
As you may have spotted I frequent this forum a fair bit and have several posts so he has help and knows where to turn to if needed.
He loves his car and as a newly qualified driver, over a year now, the insurance was low.
It's off the road now for a rebuild as you heard the problem, the exhaust valves are recessing as it was designed for leaded fuel so a head conversion is on the cards.
He got a fair amount of good body panels with it and the basic chassis is prety sound.
No doubt you'll see the results of his labour round Lostwithiel in the future.
Old Jun 30th, 2015, 09:14   #8
Angie
Premier Member

I've only just seen your post, it's good that your grandson is enthusiastic and has back-up from you. The car is going to be really lovely when it's done, I'll look forward to seeing it around. I've seen some very nice V70s around and about, maybe one of them is yours.

If your grandson wants bodywork done try Allentown, he's done two jobs for me and he's very enthusiastic and loves classic cars. I'm taking mine back to have a few bits and pieces done fairly soon.