Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B20 build

Views : 13676

Replies : 147

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2016, 17:30   #41
Amazonjulian
Master Member

It's nice and cosy building an engine in doors. Conservatory beats garage hands down at this time of year. Made a paper pattern to go over the distributor drive hole so that I could get the drive slot spot on at 35 degrees. Also trial fitted my front pulley and timing cover and used a dial gauge to get a spot on tdc for marking up my new aluminium pulley. Three Pistons in now and simon trying to get me rings for the fourth. Noticed that the new big end shells are significantly wider than the old ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (158.6 KB, 57 views)
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amazonjulian For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 15:12   #42
volvogv
Master Member

Very nice work!
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 18:42   #43
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Replacing those missing rings has been harder than I thought but Fredrik at KG Triming has come up with the goods and has sold me the rings for one piston.
I wanted to check a couple of other things out with you gents if I may.
My plan was to stick with the original exhaust manifold... I know people say they are pretty good but I'm open to ideas. Have any of you fitted a tubular manifold and if so would you recommend it and where would you buy it from?
Secondly, it's some years since I did a complet engine build like this. When I did, I put a thin smear of grease on the head gasket before fitting it. Is this still the way to go? I noticed my new gasket has a slightly sticky surface in any case.
I'd be glad of thoughts on these points. Cheers Julian
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 19:42   #44
Hat

Leave the gasket as is, nothing else needed.

I was going to leave my manifold, but the sealing edge was too far gone corrosion wise, so went with Simons right the way through, so far so good.

Check the head bolt clearance too, make sure the bolt holes are clean, the tolerance is quite tight.
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hat For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 20:31   #45
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

As long as it's not one of the emissions type manifolds with the extra butterflies etc the combined cast iron one for the B20 is excellent up to about 145bhp with your existing SU's. Although I'm sure that Fredrik would be happy to sell you a 4-2-1 manifold I think he would also agree that the there would be no improvement on a modest standard engine. With a price of £150-250 for the manifold I think that you can find something better to spend the money on. It would pay for your lead free head conversion for a start.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 20:34   #46
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

To give advice on what the best tubular manifold would be I need to know a bit more about the engine spec. What cam and what headwork has been done also what carburation does it have.

Also are you looking for power high up the rev band or more low down power?

The twin outlet cast manifold is not bad but a tubular manifold does offer some gain
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 20:57   #47
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Derek - I'm not expecting more than 145 BHP. Dai it's a 2130 cc engine with a KG 10 camshaft and a B20 e head which has had some work improving the CFM by 9%. I'm not into spending money for its sake but given the effort I've gone to, I don't want to miss any tricks this close to the finish. If there's little improvement to be had over the cast iron, I'll happily stick with it.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 21:03   #48
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Fitting a free flowing exhaust makes a massive differnce. The manifold just give that tiny bit extra

For high rpm power use the 4-1 manifold

For better low down and mid range go with a 4-2-1

The main reason I use the tubular manifolds is to reduce exhaust noise and stop the popping on overrun you get withthe cast manifold

For mild steel you are looking at spending £200 -250 or around £350 for stainless
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 21:20   #49
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonjulian View Post
Replacing those missing rings has been harder than I thought but Fredrik at KG Triming has come up with the goods and has sold me the rings for one piston.
I wanted to check a couple of other things out with you gents if I may.
My plan was to stick with the original exhaust manifold... I know people say they are pretty good but I'm open to ideas. Have any of you fitted a tubular manifold and if so would you recommend it and where would you buy it from?
Secondly, it's some years since I did a complet engine build like this. When I did, I put a thin smear of grease on the head gasket before fitting it. Is this still the way to go? I noticed my new gasket has a slightly sticky surface in any case.
I'd be glad of thoughts on these points. Cheers Julian
I bought a KG Trimning 4-2-1 from Skandix. Yhey have two versions and mine had the larger primaries/secondary's.
Well made, reasonsble cost and reputedly one of the better manifolds.
Does have nice bends with no necking
Its been on for 7 years and have had no issues.
I like KG stuff snd Frederik is very helpful.
Russ

Last edited by tdz840; Jan 7th, 2016 at 21:23.
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 06:18   #50
davidw6092

If you do stick with the cast manifold make sure the mating surface is flat and true.They tend to bow a little after time and can blow manifold gaskets.Its difficult to find someone with a large enough linishing machine to flatten it,but a large sheet of coarse emery on some plate glass will do,though time consuming.
davidw6092 is offline   Reply With Quote