Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WANTED-164 exhaust pipe-front end.

Views : 1555

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2011, 17:11   #1
guitarman

Default WANTED-164 exhaust pipe-front end.

Hi folks, looking for the front end section of exhaust pipe for my 164. An old one will do if in good condition. Scandix only do the whole lot! Any ideas? Jimmy
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 19:25   #2
Lesky

If you're handy, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate one barring you have a welder, a pipe bender, a lot of patience, and a favorite pub. The pipes on my B30F (american model) only have three bends and one flange. Do you have an old one that you could measure? If you don't have the tools, a muffler shop should be able to fabricate one if you have an old one that they could measure. Geometry is the same for both pipes except one is shorter than the other because (on my B30) one exhaust manifold sits further back than the other.

Hope this helped.
Old May 30th, 2011, 23:01   #3
guitarman

Thanks Lesky, I'm no welder, so plan on buying the front section, or as you say getting it fabricated. Then my mate is going to make a new larger diameter exhaust using two boxes rather than three. 200 series boxes are widely available so were going to use them. If it doesn't sound right first time we'll just keep messing about until it works. Want it to sound a wee bit growlier than the standard. How is Wenatchee? Been to your lovely state, many moons ago! Jimmy
Old May 31st, 2011, 23:22   #4
Lesky

Found this on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...#ht_500wt_1182

You might be able to get the down pipes from there. The price listed on the add is for body panels. So, I don't know how much the pipes would be.

Wenatchee is very nice. Nice country side makes for nice drives in the 164. Washington is very nice to old cars too. No salt on the roadways. I need to update my profile though. I recently relocated to Connecticut.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 23:53   #5
Lesky

Just found out about this site from the Volvo Club of America forum. Has 164 downpipes available. No photo though. You might have to call to confirm. I think the price is reasonable for a downpipe. It also has all the other exhaust bits too including manifold seals!!!

http://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/arti...exhaust-system
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesky For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 12:00   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

It can get very confusing when this sort of thread consists of replies from both sides of the pond.
Surprised there's no repy from Paul here, I don't know if he can help though. I'd think that a custom exhaust place could rework a 140 front pipe for a reasonable price. Maybe even by using part of your current exhaust. Front pipes are pretty sturdy, what's the problem with yours?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 14:32   #7
guitarman

Hi,
Thanks Lesky, the Swedish Classic Volvo parts site looks a really useful one! I have signed up. I'm probably going to buy a complete new stainless exhaust now, from Guaranteed exhausts, about £360 altogether. Being stainless it ought to 'bark' a bit more too. We may leave out the wee box near the end of the system- that may give it more of a growl!
Connecticut is a LONG way from Wenatchee! Driving about in the woods in either place in a 164 would be nice though, especially with your cheap fuel, try paying $10 a gallon!! Jimmy
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 00:51   #8
Lesky

A long way indeed! In fact, I made it about half way to Connecticut in the 164 but then the fibre timing gear went.

Full stainless sounds superb! Are you keeping the factory routing? I think a 164 with dual exhaust could look good. As long as the pipes could be tucked up under the rear bumper more than it is stock. The rear hanger sags a bit too much. I am also playing with the idea of eliminating the rear silencer in hopes of a lower growl. Are you getting stainless manifolds too? Please post pics after its finished.

My gosh. $10 a gallon! My B30F gets a nominal 17 mpg. I can only imagine.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 13:58   #9
guitarman

Default 164 exhaust.

Hi, I was going to go stainless and buy a complete new system with 3 boxes- £360. However I've now managed to get a 164 auto frontpipe, a 240 box and middle pipe and fitting kit, all new for the princely sum of £85! Together with the remaining good 164 box we will make up a new exhaust which has more grunt. As you say the regular 164 exhaust systems do hang rather low and never seem to fit right under the rear valance. I may look at splitting the exhaust and routing it between the fuel tank and the offside spare wheel well too, a twin exhaust would suit the 164 well I think! I shall post some photos! The refuse bins outside exhaust centres used to be a good source of pipe oddments.
So what happened re. The broken timing gear? Is it fixed? I have looked at buying a steel one for my car. I spied one on eBay USA which was for Penta engines and wasn't sure if it would be right. Jimmy
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 01:56   #10
Lesky

Sorry for the overdue response. I can't wait to see the finished set up. I removed the last silencer on my 164 and man does it growl! It's still a work in progress because I am going to try to refinish my down pipes in the fall but it's funny to hear a 164 that sounds aggressive. Haha!

As for the timing gear, I have since fit a new one. I found an NOS fibre gear from a retired, local volvo mechanic for $50 USD so I just went with another fibre gear. The fibre ones are good for about 100,000 miles. Atleast, that's when mine broke. I've thought about getting a steel one too to have on hand when this fibre one goes but as far as refitting, that's a whole weekends job. I'm not familiar with differences between the Pentas and engines used in cars. New steel timing gears in the states aren't very cheap. I believe a set (both cam and crank gears) were going for about $180 USD last I checked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lesky For This Useful Post: