Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bilstein suspension

Views : 247

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 16:44   #1
HJMiller

Default Bilstein suspension

To carry on the conversation, which I think I posted in the wrong place,
I have been supplied by Bilstein two part numbers. the B4 is around £93, the B6 £213. Both say they will fit my 850R Estate?
But does anyone know which is best for the suspension set up I have?

They are: B4, 22-230959
and: B6, 22-235336

I will add this to my Volvo price and decide!

Thanks for any advice?

Cheers, Howard
HJMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 00:37   #2
Baffler
Premier Member

I don't see why you don't continue to post in your original thread: 850R Front suspension ?

A recent thread from Kevin0607 on same: Bilstein B4 shocks

In my experience with B4's, albeit on an '03 S40 with Eibach Pro Kit springs, left a lot to be desired. Whatever you do don't go off the motorway with this combo! Serious feedback from all four corners so I immediately reverted back to original SACHS shocks and sold on the B4's. Honesty, it was like night and day!

Unfortunately, I can not offer experience on the B6's but my understanding is they are aimed at/for track use. Someone of more experience with B6 on a P80 will share soon hopefully.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 09:50   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I put lowered Kilen springs and Bilstein touring shocks on a 945 a few years ago - it was a much harder ride than standard. Obviously the handling was vastly improved, but the addition of ipd anti-roll bars was probably the main reason for that, not the spring/damper combo. On motorways it was fine, but it was quite crashy on potholed A and B roads.

I replaced the rear suspension of my 850R about 2 years ago now - this time I went with the OEM stuff and fitted new Nivomats. Expensive yes, but it retained the ride quality in what is after all a family road car, not a track car. IMHO keeping it standard is best - but add those ipd anti-roll bars if you want to sharpen up the bendy bits, they DID made a big difference without making the ride harsh.

I'm about to refresh the suspension on my current 940, this time I have some lesjofors lowering springs and KYB dampers. The dampers are standard spec, which I'll be fitting with the existing original springs first to see how it goes - afterall new dampers will beat old worn dampers every time and the result might make the car as good as new again. I'm undecided about the lowering springs this time - as I said, the antiroll bars made the biggest difference to the handling.

Last edited by RollingThunder; Mar 16th, 2024 at 09:54.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 19:34   #4
Gotp

Will give my review here after i install my bilstein b6’s and eibach lowering springs.
Gotp is offline   Reply With Quote