Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56807

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2011, 20:48   #111
colzak

Smile

6 hours,,yeah right lol,,,Mike I,m confident anyone could do a turbo clean in a lot less time than i did. and I know your handy with a spanner,,,
colzak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 20:53   #112
S60KSX

Will do. Visit to dealer for diagnostic won`t be for a while yet, though.
S60KSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 13:24   #113
fgx318

Quote:
Originally Posted by colzak View Post
The car revs right up to 4500rpm without complaints,,although still sooty after an 80mile round trip...but definitely better..in performance,,

I,m thinking this car has other issues though as the engine sounds rattley,,aspecially when flooring the accelerator pedal,,but even on tickover it sounds tappety/rattley...like a london taxi..I can only think that my next step is to check the injectors with a leak off test...not quite as mucky a job as the turbo too Fred lol

To anyone thinking of taking their turbo off for a clean, remember that the cost is only your own time, (bout 12 hours for me)and the price of new gaskets or in my case exhaust jointing paste. The only fiddly bit I experienced was the oil feed union on top of the turbo, which has 2 copper washers, above and below the union, ..and found the bolt a little fiddly to relocate...keep the oil feed pipe clamp loose until fixed.
Right, same for me for the union and washers, a king size pita ! Do the 12 hours of labor include the numerous tea breaks, lunch and dinner ? It took me 7 hours included the breaks to hit the tarmac back again !

Mike is right you should be able to do it in 6 hours Colin, say at £15 an hour that's worth the effort...isn't it Mike ?
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 13:43   #114
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

100 smackers for someone else to cuss is priceless lol
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 19:41   #115
fgx318

ahahah ! you cheater Mike, 6 by 15 is 90, nice try !! Lol !!
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fgx318 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 21:14   #116
colzak

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgx318 View Post
Right, same for me for the union and washers, a king size pita ! Do the 12 hours of labor include the numerous tea breaks, lunch and dinner ? It took me 7 hours included the breaks to hit the tarmac back again !

Mike is right you should be able to do it in 6 hours Colin, say at £15 an hour that's worth the effort...isn't it Mike ?
Yeah I admit it fellas,,,I took my time ,lol,,,12 hours (over 2 days),included,,tea breaks,,trying to get the turbo out of the top of the engine bay,,,trying too get at the bottom exhaust nut to the turbo from above,,,doh,,waiting for the wd40 to penetrate the turbo housing,,,,trying to find the 2 copper washers from the turbo oil feed pipe,,,trying to fabricate new copper washers from old injector seals,,,,wife putting plaster on fingers,,,more tea,,,finding the propper washers,(yippee),,then getting cloths changed for a test drive,,,,,,and all that was priceless,,,,lol,

,If I can do a turbo clean in half the time, ,,,you can too,Fred, ,,,say in 3.5hours, lol..even cheaper,,,,Definitely value for money and a holiday in France too,,lol,,,,,,,

Question to Mike, ,,,do you really need your turbo vane gear cleaned?,,if yes,,then you could do this no problem and still avoid the cussin,,,as Fred suggested,,plenty of WD40 on everything,,my turbo cracked open after an hour soak and gentle persuasion...and although my car has definitely improved,,my car is still not right..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 22:56   #117
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

you could off course use this only a couple of hours.
http://www.ihtools.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1839
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 13:13   #118
S60KSX

Default Ecm6805limp mode possible "cure"

Having had the dreaded ECM6805 and limp mode intermittently for about six months, I recalled reading somewhere in this forum about flooring the loud pedal from about 40mph in 4th, and holding it down. Sorry, I can`t remember who provided this little gem, but having done this every time I drive for the past month, I have not had Limp Mode since.

From previous observations with a Mityvac connected, I recall that flooring the gas from about 40 up to about 60mph produced the greatest difference in vacuum, thus producing the maximum movement in the variable turbo vanes.

I suspect I had a slightly sticky turbo vane ring (rather than a totally crudded ring) and that inducing this maximum movement has freed the ring to operate the vanes correctly.

This has to worth a try for anyone with ECM6805, compared to lots of spending and lots of dismantling.

It doesn`t seem necessary to red-line the engine to get the turbo vane ring to move through its full travel.

I think it was RobbieH who provided the gen, but I can`t find the original post, but thank you.

Last edited by S60KSX; Jan 1st, 2012 at 13:17. Reason: brain fade
S60KSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 16:10   #119
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60KSX View Post
Having had the dreaded ECM6805 and limp mode intermittently for about six months, I recalled reading somewhere in this forum about flooring the loud pedal from about 40mph in 4th, and holding it down. Sorry, I can`t remember who provided this little gem, but having done this every time I drive for the past month, I have not had Limp Mode since.

From previous observations with a Mityvac connected, I recall that flooring the gas from about 40 up to about 60mph produced the greatest difference in vacuum, thus producing the maximum movement in the variable turbo vanes.

I suspect I had a slightly sticky turbo vane ring (rather than a totally crudded ring) and that inducing this maximum movement has freed the ring to operate the vanes correctly.

This has to worth a try for anyone with ECM6805, compared to lots of spending and lots of dismantling.

It doesn`t seem necessary to red-line the engine to get the turbo vane ring to move through its full travel.

I think it was RobbieH who provided the gen, but I can`t find the original post, but thank you.
Did I quote that, my grey matter is weak at the moment

It was a trick passed on to me by the guru, Tim Williams, actually, so I can't claim total credit

The trick is to find a quiet bit of road where you can hold a steady speed of about 40mph in 4th gear and then press the loud pedal "firmly" (in other words "floor it") until you hear a small "squeak" from the acutuator as it hits its full range of travel. Don't hold the pedal down but let off the pedal completely to let the vanes move back through the full range. This can be done 3-4 times which should help to make sure the vanes, actuator ring and bones (the little metal connectors between the ring and the vanes) remain free moving.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieH For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 00:10   #120
colzak

With the engine off,,If you were to look at the actuator on the turbo,,then allow someone to start the engine,,surprizingly,,the actator should move to its full extent on tickover,,,(shuttin vanes),,,full boost appears to be obtained at least vacuum,,which appears to be achieved by the turbo govner venting to atmosphere, determined by the ecu,,full boost is obtained by maximum venting of the turbo govner

As the engine is revved to about 3500rpm,,,the tcv actuator should gradually return to near rest position...this can also be observed....and heard as the turbo spools up....

The arm controlling the vanes only has a small amount of freedom bout, 30/40 degrees,,,(i havnt measured the angle, but it appears small),,,those last few degrees of movement appear the most critical and

Theres no doubt that max boost can only be achieved by driving the car,,,but in reality the position of the vanes for full boost is also achieved when the car is switched off,,,crazy,,but true...perhaps this garantees that the vanes should always do a full range sweep at least once per drive regardless of who drives the car,,,louis hamleton or miss daisy,,,,seeing is believing
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colzak For This Useful Post: