Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Isn't it funny how minor niggles nag away at you

Views : 781

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2014, 20:01   #1
DT19
Master Member

Default Isn't it funny how minor niggles nag away at you

I have a couple of minor niggles with my 04 V50 T5 which are starting to really bug me so I thought I'd ask if anyone here has solutions for them.

The first is that the top of the dashboard reflects really badly in the windscreen, when we're lucky enough to get any sun I can see every detail of the dash in my windscreen and it can be distracting. It may be my fault if I've used the wrong cleaner and made the dashboard more shiny than it should be but even with a coat of dust I can still see it glaring away at me.

The second is the cup holders, I don't know how big the cups are in Sweden but every can of drink or cup of coffee I put in them tries to fall over at every stop, start or corner. They're far too big, my car came with a daft insert which reduces the size of the hole but gets stuck on the side of every cup I put in. Is there a replacement insert available anywhere to make the cup holders actually hold cups securely.

As I said, little niggles that have built up and now annoy me intensely so to help my sanity, does anyone have any suggestions?
DT19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 20:04   #2
iainmd

The dashboard glare is just something I loive with and it doesn't bother me too much.

The 04 cupholders are utter rubbish. I'm assuming you have the ones with 4 felt tabs in each cup slot? If you do, you can purchase the newer part which has rubber flaps that are far and away better. It's a like for like swap. Pull the old twin cupholder insert out and push the newer one in.

The newer on looks like this link

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 20:23   #3
DT19
Master Member

Ah ha, I knew someone would have an answer. The cupholder looks much better, any idea how much it is and where from?
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 20:54   #4
DT19
Master Member

Scrap that, I think I found it on EBay.
So, just the screen glare to sort now.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 19:54   #5
Loskie

Get one very cheap from a scrapyard/breakers
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 09:56   #6
mirras

Try a pair of polarised sunglasses, the reflected light should be filtered out. I have had a few cars with light dashboards and it's like magic how the glare disappears with polaroid sunglasses.
mirras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 21:55   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

The new cup holders are only approx. £18 brand new from Volvo and do make a world of difference. It was actually one of the very first things I changed on my car when I got it. If you need the part number then post back up and I'll dig it out.

I won't search now but I know I've previously posted the part number in the past so it is on here somewhere too.

For the dashboard the best you can do is use a matt finish dashboard cleaner which will reduce the glare effect but will not completely eliminate it though.

Edit! - Just had a quick search for my own sanity and if you look at post number 4 of the following link you will get the part number - LINKY!

Last edited by SonyVaio; Aug 27th, 2014 at 21:58.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote