Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1073109

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2017, 20:14   #11931
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Completed!

Took a lot longer than I expected, it's the prep that took hours, I left the house at 10 30 am and just got in, I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm getting the feeling that the missus might be p!ssed off with me, whoops.

It came out well, there are some orange peel bits but nothing major, I took a gamble with one and a half cans left and attempted the roof as I was in 2 minds whether to do it black, I just just JUST had enough.

I also didn't bother with the mirrors, I will do those black with the rest of the exterior trim, hence why I wasn't overly anal about getting overspray on them.

@canis, it's actually grafitti paint, not for cars at all but the drift boys use it all the time as it's easy to apply and really quite cheap so I had to have a crack at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_56210.jpg (97.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_5764.jpg (96.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_2038.jpg (82.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_27474.jpg (78.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170325_3482.jpg (40.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Mar 25th, 2017 at 20:16.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 16:43   #11932
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I think you mean Plastidip. You can buy bulk in the US for a proper full car spray, but I've not found a bulk importer yet?
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 16:45   #11933
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Changed the wiper arm, no longer has as much play as the old one, but still catching on the bonnet. May take Skyship's advice and plump for a new arm and hope that fixes it.

Noticed that the engine cover rubber grommets have disintegrated, so I'll need to add a new set of those to the list (presumably I can just nip to Eurocarparts for some suitable sized grommets)

Now considering whether I have the patience to start wiring in my Christmas present, dual cam black box recorder....
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 16:52   #11934
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
I think you mean Plastidip. You can buy bulk in the US for a proper full car spray, but I've not found a bulk importer yet?
No no, it is actually graffiti paint, made especially for doing spray art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170326-164944.jpg (52.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170326-165024.jpg (151.8 KB, 6 views)
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 19:59   #11935
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
No no, it is actually graffiti paint, made especially for doing spray art.
Its good stuff. I did the yellow wheels on my old 15" BBS in Montana Gold 100% yellow and it never came off even after 20k miles in all wear.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 20:07   #11936
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
Its good stuff. I did the yellow wheels on my old 15" BBS in Montana Gold 100% yellow and it never came off even after 20k miles in all wear.

Yeah it came out pretty good, i was advised by mates who have used this before to get their 'fat' caps as they give a wider fan spray, which they do, but they were quite odd, in that the fan tended to cover better at the end of its arc if that makes sense, so directly in front of my can was just a dusting, but above and below were 2 thicker lines, it took a bit of getting used to, one pass side to side then one pass up and down seemed to do it, it also comes out really thick, after just one pass and not full coverage it almost looked stippled on.

I have got a few patches that look to have gone on a little dry, its nothing major though, slightly annoying that its mainly on the bonnet though, made more annoying by the fact that it was ok the first time, but then i moved the airline, and it kicked up and dragged over the bonnet, marking the still tacky paint, so i had to do that bit again, damn it, although its now on thick enough that i reckon ill be able to flat the whole car back enough using the machine polisher to get it all flat but not break through, hopefully.

The door handles and black trim now look super crap as well, that and the mirrors will be redone once more, plus i really wish i had removed the redundant wiper spindles and filled the holes in the bumper first, it would have looked so much better, plus sorting out the panel fit on the passengers side front would have also been nice, although i have seen the condition of that area when i fitted the new headlights last summer, that whole corner is crunched and nothing is where it should be, to get it even close id have to take the bumper and the wing off, plus the headlights and radiator would have to come out too, then id have to embark on a grinder expedition followed by some lump hammering and possibly a small weldathon to get it right, and as i knew it was a category D when i got it im not really prepared to do that, something along the lines of all the additional parts i would probably break/bend/damage in doing so as well.

If truth be told im still trying to get used to how bloody bright it is haha

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled 2.jpg (152.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled 3.jpg (187.4 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Mar 26th, 2017 at 20:26.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 08:20   #11937
ww1dm1
What is this I don't even

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Yeah it came out pretty good, i was advised by mates who have used this before to get their 'fat' caps as they give a wider fan spray, which they do, but they were quite odd, in that the fan tended to cover better at the end of its arc if that makes sense, so directly in front of my can was just a dusting, but above and below were 2 thicker lines, it took a bit of getting used to, one pass side to side then one pass up and down seemed to do it, it also comes out really thick, after just one pass and not full coverage it almost looked stippled on.

I have got a few patches that look to have gone on a little dry, its nothing major though, slightly annoying that its mainly on the bonnet though, made more annoying by the fact that it was ok the first time, but then i moved the airline, and it kicked up and dragged over the bonnet, marking the still tacky paint, so i had to do that bit again, damn it, although its now on thick enough that i reckon ill be able to flat the whole car back enough using the machine polisher to get it all flat but not break through, hopefully.

The door handles and black trim now look super crap as well, that and the mirrors will be redone once more, plus i really wish i had removed the redundant wiper spindles and filled the holes in the bumper first, it would have looked so much better, plus sorting out the panel fit on the passengers side front would have also been nice, although i have seen the condition of that area when i fitted the new headlights last summer, that whole corner is crunched and nothing is where it should be, to get it even close id have to take the bumper and the wing off, plus the headlights and radiator would have to come out too, then id have to embark on a grinder expedition followed by some lump hammering and possibly a small weldathon to get it right, and as i knew it was a category D when i got it im not really prepared to do that, something along the lines of all the additional parts i would probably break/bend/damage in doing so as well.

If truth be told im still trying to get used to how bloody bright it is haha
Did you seriously do this with rattle cans? It looks pretty darn good, most rattle can jobs I've seen look cheap and patchy, never took those seriously. How many coatings? No clear coat?
ww1dm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 12:34   #11938
druid
V40 Owner

Took of all the bumper and door trim ready for paint - Black not coded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170327_121359[1].jpg (241.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20170327_121347[1].jpg (175.0 KB, 10 views)

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 13:18   #11939
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Took of all the bumper and door trim ready for paint - Black not coded.
I spy an alpine white BMW E36 in your photo reflection.....

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 15:27   #11940
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
I spy an alpine white BMW E36 in your photo reflection.....
Brother in laws "old" one, hes get a "vert" now......

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage