Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MTE back in the UK.

Views : 8956

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 13:59   #81
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Checks.

Good day Liam,

The answer to all your questions except the last is yes where possible as I have all the vadis VST stuff, and the MTE installation kit otherwise provides all the checks and safeguards.

With the last question it really does depend on circumstances.

Regards, Don.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 14:26   #82
Traduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union
Good day Liam,

The answer to all your questions except the last is yes where possible as I have all the vadis VST stuff, and the MTE installation kit otherwise provides all the checks and safeguards.

With the last question it really does depend on circumstances.

Regards, Don.
Don,

Many thanks.

Unfortunately the absence of any detailed specifics in itself speaks volumes. Other people are being asked for fine tooth comb details and your reply contains absolutely nothing at all. I am asking of you what is being asked of others and would request that you address my requests with the level of detail expected from others. You are obliged under the terms of commercial users of this forum to provide satisfactory answers and that is what I am requesting.

WRT the last question... everything can be stated as dependent on circumstances but that does not address the question. The vehicle is V50 Diesel. What more do you need to know in order to be able to answer the question with something meaningful that I can take back to my friend.

Regards, Liam
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 14:56   #83
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Hi Dan,
The method of getting the modified code onto the eeprom\eprom does affect the peformance of the product. I am after all a customer who has purchased a legal copy of the rica software, im sure stuart will tell his customers what exatctly he has done to there cars if they ask, even though he may not give details on exact numerical values. im also sure if you approached swautos with a genuine intend to have his mod done then he would tell you the areas that he mods.

as im aware julie is the only car on here to have had it done, though ive asked for the same treatment when i sell my rica.

volvotunings failure to answer my quetsion i think says it all, when will this misleading stop (wont somebody think of the children!!)

Matt.
Hi Matt.
How does the method of writing the software to the chip affect its performance? Even if it was transferred from some 5 1/4 floppy disks to the eeprom, it would still be the same code residing on there at the end.
Or does data that is stored on and written from a floppy not work as well as the exact same code stored on and written from a memory stick?
Don't quite get your point there. ?? Please clarify.

I think all this secrecy is helped by those in one 'club' wanting a performance advantage over another 'club' and therefore happily helping their tuner out by keeping schtum about what they have had done and in doing so also helping keep it a black art.
What I am saying is that it seems that no matter who asks and how many times it is asked, no-one wants to divulge what they do or how they do it. Lest 'someone who shouldn't hear' be let in on the secret.
Also, maybe VTs lack of response means they are just ignoring you?
just a thought....

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 15:03   #84
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Matt.
How does the method of writing the software to the chip affect its performance? Even if it was transferred from some 5 1/4 floppy disks to the eeprom, it would still be the same code residing on there at the end.
Or does data that is stored on and written from a floppy not work as well as the exact same code stored on and written from a memory stick?
Don't quite get your point there. ?? Please clarify.

I think all this secrecy is helped by those in one 'club' wanting a performance advantage over another 'club' and therefore happily helping their tuner out by keeping schtum about what they have had done and in doing so also helping keep it a black art.
What I am saying is that it seems that no matter who asks and how many times it is asked, no-one wants to divulge what they do or how they do it. Lest 'someone who shouldn't hear' be let in on the secret.
just a thought....

Later,
Dan.
sorry, missed the "nt" of the end of does.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 15:08   #85
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Matt.

just a thought....

Later,
Dan.
Im sure that is one of the reasons, and they also dont want the truth out.

I just wanted to give them a chance, before i went ahead and posted my findings.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 15:39   #86
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

I think this thread should stop, imo.

If you don't want the risk of things going wrong, car turning unreliable, possible damage to ECUs, insurance problems, extra wear on components, the odd mishap here and there . . . .

DON'T TUNE YOUR CAR

Take it easy !

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:30   #87
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70
I think this thread should stop, imo.

If you don't want the risk of things going wrong, car turning unreliable, possible damage to ECUs, insurance problems, extra wear on components, the odd mishap here and there . . . .

DON'T TUNE YOUR CAR

Take it easy !

Chris
Hi Chris.
Exactly!
Mind you, the fact that you are making that statement, is all the more remarkable considering the hoo-har you made about 'that mishap' that happened to your car *after* you had made the decision to tune it. (Anyone who frequents here will know what....)
Notwithstanding any opinions about workmanship etc, one could reasonably argue (and I know any main dealer I have dealt with would take this tack) that if you hadn't tuned your car it would never have happened. Arguably therefore, any problems you have with your car after fitting non standard parts etc, is ultimately down to the fact you decided to tune it in the first place.
Anyone who tunes their Volvo is frowned upon by VCUK anyway, so don't expect any sympathy from anyone there if something breaks when you have already given the go ahead for it to be altered beyond factory specs.
My car is now out of it's warranty period and therefore the ball is firmly in my court if I do anything to it.
I alone will have to foot the bill if anything breaks, if I decide to tune further.
Mind you not having to worry about if a warranty covers anything or not is very liberating.

Dan.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:39   #88
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Well, I personally never made a 'hoo-har' aboout anything.

I excepted that it had happened, talk to people over the phone about it, stated that it could of happened to anyone at anytime, had offers of it being fixed FOC - not sure what hoo-har I made ?

I haven't taken up any grudges against anyone and don't want to - we all learn through experience.

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:40   #89
bobcat
Premier Member

In chris's case is was down to poor workman ship, if the job had been done properly then it wouldnt have happened in the first place.

But its unfair to say that if you tune your car anything that happens is your own fault, yes i agree if its yourself thats messing around with mbc's etc. but if you buy a performance mod from any company then most (if not all) of the responsibility is down to them to make sure it is safe and works, unless they dont give an warranty what so ever, but then you would most likely go elsewhere.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 16:44   #90
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70
Well, I personally never made a 'hoo-har' aboout anything.

I excepted that it had happened, talk to people over the phone about it, stated that it could of happened to anyone at anytime, had offers of it being fixed FOC - not sure what hoo-har I made ?

I haven't taken up any grudges against anyone and don't want to - we all learn through experience.

Chris
Ok, maybe I should have said 'a Hoo-har was made, but not necessarily by yourself', either way the thread/threads that followed were a bloody debacle, ruined this forum for a lot of people!
Dan.