Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 engine cutting out intermittently

Views : 579

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 16:15   #1
AZ42
New Member
 

Last Online: Apr 5th, 2019 13:58
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Redruth
Angry Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 engine cutting out intermittently

I am new to this forum and I've joined with the sole purpose of finding others who have experienced the issue I've outlined below.

I bought a new Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 in September 2018 and initially I was very pleased with it, having had a standard V40 before it without much issue.
However, soon after buying it I found it was cutting out intermittently when stopping at junctions. Not just stopping with the start/stop function, but the engine completely turning off. Causing me to look down and press the start/stop button to restart, which is a danger as I have to take my eyes off the road whilst potentially moving forward into the path of oncoming traffic with a ‘dead’ car.

I’ve taken the car into the dealer a number of times and they have not found any issues, mainly because when they plug it in no error codes appear to tell them what went wrong. Instead they are telling me it’s a ‘feature’ of the newish 2.0 engine, which is designed to cut out if the driver stops the car in a high gear. Volvo have apparently designed it this way to protect against potential damage to the flywheel. Even though I find it incredulous that any car could be designed this way, I can’t see why it should be programmed to completely cut out the engine. If the engine needs to be stopped in this type of situation, why can’t the normal start/stop action be employed. This would enable the engine to be restarted by depressing the clutch and not endanger all concerned by forcing the driver to divert his attention from the road at a critical moment to restart the car.

I believe this is a design issue and a potential safety hazard, which goes against all that Volvo stands for, but I need to find others that have experienced a similar issue. Otherwise I'm just a lone voice without any power to force Volvo to fix the problem.

Please reply with your related stories concerning this issue. Thank you.

Cheers
AZ42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 15:21   #2
MalmoV40
New Member
 

Last Online: Mar 26th, 2019 15:22
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Malmö
Default

As i understand car goes completely dead, dashboard is off?
MalmoV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 14:57   #3
AZ42
New Member
 

Last Online: Apr 5th, 2019 13:58
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Redruth
Default

Yes, the car goes completely dead, but dashboard lights up as if you had pressed the 'start/stop' button to switch off the engine. You then have to press the 'start/stop' button to restart the engine, but in the mean time you've lost power steering or brakes, and any ability to avoid other traffic.
I'm unable to reject the car, since Volvo and the dealer both don't believe there is a fault. So my only option is to cancel my contract and pay an early release penalty...
AZ42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 15:03   #4
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 21:11
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ42 View Post
Yes, the car goes completely dead, but dashboard lights up as if you had pressed the 'start/stop' button to switch off the engine. You then have to press the 'start/stop' button to restart the engine, but in the mean time you've lost power steering or brakes, and any ability to avoid other traffic.
I'm unable to reject the car, since Volvo and the dealer both don't believe there is a fault. So my only option is to cancel my contract and pay an early release penalty...
try pressing the stop start button before every journey to turn the function off . see what happens then for a week or so .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 15:57   #5
Billggski
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Today 17:36
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Stone
Default

I'm assuming it's a manual and you sound like you are coasting to a stop in a high gear?
If so change down to second as you approach a junction and see if the same thing happens.
Just a guess.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 18:31   #6
r2gow
New Member
 

Last Online: May 31st, 2019 21:35
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: fortwilliam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
try pressing the stop start button before every journey to turn the function off . see what happens then for a week or so .
hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful
r2gow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 21:37   #7
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 21:11
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2gow View Post
hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful
have you tried my suggestion above ? turning stop/start off before every journey for a week? The only other thing which can cause stalling is a leaky EGR Valve ..
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:14   #8
julianps
Master Member
 

Last Online: Apr 25th, 2019 08:54
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Aberystwyth
Default

I cannot say my experience is identical, but it is similar.

My car is an MY'17 D2 manual and had the clutch/flywheel changed under warranty at 6k miles. It developed similar symptoms about 6months later where Volvo "... updated the software .." as a remedy.

Recently I approached a 30MPH board in 6th + brakes ... getting slower/closer, I changed down to third and released the clutch-pedal to find no throttle response (I do not recall losing power-steering or assisted-braking moreover the car did not judder on releasing the clutch - so, the engine was still running?).

I saw the centre section of the dashboard and all warning lights were blank but didn't notice if the mechanical rev/speedometer had stopped too.

Intending to bring the car safely to a stand-still I depressed the clutch pedal again, which brought back the dashboard and warning lights and with it a Stall Warning (depress the clutch to restart, etc.). This instruction was at variance with circumstances as the clutch pedal was already depressed!

I released the clutch pedal (again, no judder) to find throttle response restored. Very disconcerting, especially for the driver behind me!

My dealer has told me over the years Volvo had redesigned the clutch plate/DMF more than once and reading these pages it occurs to me more than one OP has complained about clutch-burn when using the mechanical parking brake for holding the car on a hill/hill-starts. One thread had Volvo dismissing a warranty claim on the grounds it was operator behaviour (i.e. poor driving style). It appears Volvo has changed the operating software to protect the transmission from heavy-left-feet/use of parking brake other than for parking.

A switch in the clutch master/slave system manages the Stop/Start & Stall Restore functions so short of an electro/mechanical gremlin that is failing to report itself via error codes this must now be intended functionality. As Clan has suggested, you might try running without Stop/Start for a while (you have to turn off each trip) and as Billggski has suggested change down gears sequentially, not skipping gears as you go.
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 18:28   #9
r2gow
New Member
 

Last Online: May 31st, 2019 21:35
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: fortwilliam
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ42 View Post
I am new to this forum and I've joined with the sole purpose of finding others who have experienced the issue I've outlined below.

I bought a new Volvo V40 XC 2.0 D2 in September 2018 and initially I was very pleased with it, having had a standard V40 before it without much issue.
However, soon after buying it I found it was cutting out intermittently when stopping at junctions. Not just stopping with the start/stop function, but the engine completely turning off. Causing me to look down and press the start/stop button to restart, which is a danger as I have to take my eyes off the road whilst potentially moving forward into the path of oncoming traffic with a ‘dead’ car.

I’ve taken the car into the dealer a number of times and they have not found any issues, mainly because when they plug it in no error codes appear to tell them what went wrong. Instead they are telling me it’s a ‘feature’ of the newish 2.0 engine, which is designed to cut out if the driver stops the car in a high gear. Volvo have apparently designed it this way to protect against potential damage to the flywheel. Even though I find it incredulous that any car could be designed this way, I can’t see why it should be programmed to completely cut out the engine. If the engine needs to be stopped in this type of situation, why can’t the normal start/stop action be employed. This would enable the engine to be restarted by depressing the clutch and not endanger all concerned by forcing the driver to divert his attention from the road at a critical moment to restart the car.

I believe this is a design issue and a potential safety hazard, which goes against all that Volvo stands for, but I need to find others that have experienced a similar issue. Otherwise I'm just a lone voice without any power to force Volvo to fix the problem.

Please reply with your related stories concerning this issue. Thank you.

Cheers
hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful
r2gow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 21:15   #10
r2gow
New Member
 

Last Online: May 31st, 2019 21:35
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: fortwilliam
Default

hi I have had the same problem myself with my 16 plate V40 Volvo cutting out, had it back at the Volvo garage on 3 different occasions but they could not find a problem,also phoned Volvo uk and they said that they never heard of this problem, in the end I sold the car thinking it was a one-off problem, I then bought another Volvo v40 18 plate hoping their would be no more problems as I had before, but a couple of weeks after buying my new car the same thing happened the car cutout the exact same as before,and again yesterday 26/04/19.So if anyone can help solve my problem I would be very grateful
r2gow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:00.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.