Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric fan conversion..has anyone done one?

Views : 1215

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2019, 11:26   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Electric fan conversion..has anyone done one?

Hi all,
I'm keen on wrestling a teensy bit more economy (yes, I hear you laughing...) from my 744 and 245 as I'm doing around 5000 miles a month at the moment due to my insane work schedule. I'm very tempted to do an electric fan conversion, as much as I love the sound of the viscous coupled fan I know it's just spinning there and creating parasitic power loss.

Has anyone done the conversion? If so, can you advise on how straightforward (or not) it is, and which are the best parts to use?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:58   #2
tofufi
Premier Member

I did the conversion on mine.

I think there are 2 widths of radiator so make sure you get the right fan width

I used the standard 2 speed volvo relay, and one of these in the radiator hose:

https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?r...ch=thermostat+

On the diesel it's a very tight fit, I imagine it's a lot easier on a 4cyl
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 12:05   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Hi all,
I'm keen on wrestling a teensy bit more economy (yes, I hear you laughing...) from my 744 and 245 as I'm doing around 5000 miles a month at the moment due to my insane work schedule. I'm very tempted to do an electric fan conversion, as much as I love the sound of the viscous coupled fan I know it's just spinning there and creating parasitic power loss.

Has anyone done the conversion? If so, can you advise on how straightforward (or not) it is, and which are the best parts to use?

Phil
Re your 240. I understand Nicholas Lewin upstairs in the 240 section has fitted an electric fan. The last that I heard he was having to fine tune the installation. It could be well worth your while to contact olde Nick

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 14:28   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

I've fitted a number of fans to various 240s: the 940 fan motor needs a 35-amp fuse and draws a LOT of current but brings the temperature down very quickly.

You can either wire it to an accessory-live circuit, with its own switch (my approach), or use the sensor units from a 940 and wire it into a permanently live circuit.

Physically mounting a 940 fan is best done by acquiring the fan and associated mounts. The shroud can always be hacked about if it's too wide. Alternatively, you could always fabricate a set of mounting brackets for it.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 15:33   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

What fan should be fitted to a 1997 940? My daily has an electric fan but the 1997 one I'm breaking had a viscous fan which I found I interesting, I do see is someone converted it from electric to a viscous fan.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 17:48   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
What fan should be fitted to a 1997 940? My daily has an electric fan but the 1997 one I'm breaking had a viscous fan which I found I interesting, I do see is someone converted it from electric to a viscous fan.
The flippant answer is "whatever was lying around at the time". Most of the cars by that time should have had electric fans fitted although a few might not. Earlier, normally-aspirated, engines had viscous fans as a rule.

If there's a set of 3 electric sockets on the radiator then the car's been modified to carry a viscous fan, possibly because the fan motor died and no replacement was available.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2019, 23:28   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Hi all,

Phil
Well worth doing Phil! Everyone else has explained the "how" and the "what" but i've found on both my last 740 and this 760, removing the vicious coupled fan has resulted in firstly thinking i've gone deaf, secondly a pleasant surprise when prodding the loud pedal and thirdly, an even more pleasant surpise at the filling station!
Average improvement has been 10-15% depending how/when/whee i've been driving.
On the 740 i didn't even bother fitting an electric fan as it stayed cool enough just from forward motion of the car and likewise on the 760 although the electric fan for the air-con has cut in on high coolant temp a couple of times when i've been stuck in traffic.

I keep meaning to finish the addition of an electric fan, i have a 92-87C switch mounted in an alloy coolant hose sensor adaptor with 32mm stubs to fit in the top hose. The important bit when using one of those is to mount it so the sensor face is pointing up (connector socket/wiring down) so the coolant runs over it at all times.

Then i'll use the switch to operate a relay that powers the fan. Just need to find a fan now............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:18   #8
jor
VOC 20573

Default electric fan

I thought about having a go and some kind chap actually sent me a write up on how to actually do it - shortly thereafter the computer went pop..
If you look up davebarton.com he does some wiring diagrams and chats generally about conversions, which may give you some ideas.
If you get it done please do a write up in a 'for dummies' style so I can follow.

jor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2019, 03:59   #9
aardvarkash10
Master Member

rather than fitting an oem volvo unit, I'd go with an aftermarket kit. It will have everything in it you need.

Typically, you hoick out the viscous fan and shroud, and flat mount a combined fan and motor with through-bolts passing through the fins of the radiator.

Wiring, its a live supply from the battery (or more properly, the B+ on the back of the alternator), through a 35A fuse, relay and on to the fan motor + terminal. Earth the -ve terminal to a VERY good earth point - these babies suck electrons like a dyson picks up cat fur.

The relay is controlled by a thermo-switch. Make sure the switch "on-to-off" point is HIGHER than the opening temperature of your water thermostat. Typically the fan should switch on just below 100 degrees C and off 5 - 8 degrees below the on point. The thermo switch should be mounted as high in the coolant circuit as you can get it - typically it goes in the top hose.

Keep your sticky little fingers well away from the spinny bits when testing. They WILL remove a finger quite happily.

Last edited by aardvarkash10; May 12th, 2019 at 04:04.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:48   #10
TonyS9
Premier Member

Well I'm gonna be contraversial.

You are wasting your time, the you tube comparisons of BHP loss are invalid. There are no losses when the car is moving anythihg more than about 30mph. The comparisons are done stationary.

If you want to massively improve your economy get a mpguino and learn to hypermile. Its possible to get 40mpg in a 940.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: