Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 headlight washers and wipers dead

Views : 786

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2019, 10:00   #11
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

I have a set of headlights (from a facelift 960) with working wipers if you want them?

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:39   #12
peter burton

Default Thanks for the offer.

I got my MOT pass with no advisories not bad for a 171000 mile 22 year old car. I may look to get the wash/wipers working again but probably not. Its like the sunroof only tilting not sliding back not a priority at the moment.
peter burton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter burton For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:50   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the pass, like everything else in life, it would be nice if they worked but other things are probably more important at the moment. I know the feeling!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:50   #14
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I took mine off my car, they are pretty pointless things IMHO. Makes the front end of the car a lot cleaner looking and saves a few kg in weight! Got the proper Vovo blanking plugs to hide the holes
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 09:11   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
I took mine off my car, they are pretty pointless things IMHO. Makes the front end of the car a lot cleaner looking and saves a few kg in weight! Got the proper Vovo blanking plugs to hide the holes
Living where i live, during late autumn and winter aka the "beet season", they're pretty much essential. All the mud coming off the multitude of farm vehicles gets on the road and thrown up all over the car.
Being fen mud, it's particularly dark and for good measure, the sugar beet makes it sticky as well. On a damp night, after about 10-15 minutes, without them you'd see 5/8 of 3/10 of diddly-squat!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 26th, 2019, 00:27   #16
Ian21401
Premier Member

My 940 is the first and only car which I have owned which has headlight washer/wipers. They earned their keep a few winters ago. Driving in the dark in light but soft and wet falling snow. Headlights getting progressively dimmer between the occasional use of the windscreen wipers. Headlights returned to normal brightness after windscreen wipe. The snow had been sticking to and building up on the headlamp lenses until wiped off by the wiper.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 00:47   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
My 940 is the first and only car which I have owned which has headlight washer/wipers. They earned their keep a few winters ago. Driving in the dark in light but soft and wet falling snow. Headlights getting progressively dimmer between the occasional use of the windscreen wipers. Headlights returned to normal brightness after windscreen wipe. The snow had been sticking to and building up on the headlamp lenses until wiped off by the wiper.
Were the roads salty by any chance Ian?

Reason i ask is that falling snow is generally clean and the heat from the halogen bulbs inside the headlamp usually melts it.
If the roads were salty the car in front would have been throwing salt onto the lenses which bakes on to an opaque white finish reducing the light output until the melting snow is used by the wipers to clean it off.

Using LED headlamp bulbs gets round this problem nicely and the near-daylight of the LEDs (if you get good ones) cuts through the snow and fog to make it easier on your mince-pies.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 15:00   #18
Ian21401
Premier Member

Yes Dave. Dual carriageway which had been salted and there was preceding traffic. Re LEDs, too many other matters to sort out before even thinking about those.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 15:06   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Yes Dave. Dual carriageway which had been salted and there was preceding traffic. Re LEDs, too many other matters to sort out before even thinking about those.
There's your answer then Ian - salt not snow.

If you do consider LED headlamp bulbs, give me a shout and i'll point you in the right direction for some that will work properly, there are too many cheap ones on ebay promising the moon but only a few actually do what they're designed to and sadly, usually more expensive but they are a "fit'n'forget" improvement and if you're anything like me, you'll wonder why you didn't do it before!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2019, 20:31   #20
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Living where i live, during late autumn and winter aka the "beet season", they're pretty much essential. All the mud coming off the multitude of farm vehicles gets on the road and thrown up all over the car.
Being fen mud, it's particularly dark and for good measure, the sugar beet makes it sticky as well. On a damp night, after about 10-15 minutes, without them you'd see 5/8 of 3/10 of diddly-squat!
Maybe hang back a bit more then.....
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote