Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres for XC90 - 20" + Air

Views : 5877

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 18:40   #1
familymangreg
Premier Member

Default New tyres for XC90 - 20" + Air

Hi all,

The set of Conti Silents my dealer put on the car at around 7.5k are now needing replacing on the front, the car now having 23,250k on the clock, and will need replacing on the rear I estimate in around another 1.5 - 2k.

While the tyres did make a difference to road noise, I found it to be marginal, and am toying with trying another brand.

While I'd most likely source from a local tyre fitter, I contacted my dealer to ask what tyres Volvo are currently supplying on the car, as I'd once heard rumour from the dealer that they were working on a new tyre with Pirelli. Their response skirted the Pirelli question and simply stated that the only tyres they can get from their supplier are the Conti Silents for £217.25 + vat (which I can get cheaper locally).

So my questions:

1. What 20" tyres have you had supplied on a new XC90 recently?
2. Has anyone used another brand other than Continental on 20" with air suspension.

I'm wondering about either the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season or Michelin Latitude Sport 3's.

:wq
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 19:05   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

It will be interesting to hear which tyres you do put on and how they perform noise wise,
The noise From mine are spoiling my enjoyment of my XC90 and I can honestly say I never enjoy driving it due to the horrid noise. (Air and 20").
My dealer rang me today, as my car is coming up to 2 years old and asked if I was thinking of buying another, I told him I would not be buying another Volvo after this experience, he then said if I buy another make of car could they buy my car from me. Tempting.
I have only done about 8k on these contisilents so still plenty of suffering left on them yet.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 19:36   #3
DeZemBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
It will be interesting to hear which tyres you do put on and how they perform noise wise,
The noise From mine are spoiling my enjoyment of my XC90 and I can honestly say I never enjoy driving it due to the horrid noise. (Air and 20").
My dealer rang me today, as my car is coming up to 2 years old and asked if I was thinking of buying another, I told him I would not be buying another Volvo after this experience, he then said if I buy another make of car could they buy my car from me. Tempting.
I have only done about 8k on these contisilents so still plenty of suffering left on them yet.
Wow.. is the noise really so unbearable? From tyres or wind noise?
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 20:03   #4
S60Chris
Master Member

We have 20" on Air with Conti Silents. No issues with noise.

Currently at 15k miles, with 5mm tread on the rears and 4mm on the front so I expect we'll get probably just shy of 20k by the point they need changing which isn't too bad. My Passat wears through tyres faster!

I'm hoping that Michelin will have released CrossClimate+ tyres in XC90 size by the time I need to change. I had read that they were to release 20" sizing this year? If not then I won't go with Contisilents I'll pick something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 20:46   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZemBer View Post
Wow.. is the noise really so unbearable? From tyres or wind noise?
Its rumbling road noise, sounds like front wheel bearings are shot, and road noise from B post even after getting mod carried out. Sounds like window or door not closed fully.
New smooth tarmac road surfaces are fine but on any other surface over 40mph its very bad.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 21:27   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60Chris View Post
We have 20" on Air with Conti Silents. No issues with noise.

Currently at 15k miles, with 5mm tread on the rears and 4mm on the front so I expect we'll get probably just shy of 20k by the point they need changing which isn't too bad. My Passat wears through tyres faster!

I'm hoping that Michelin will have released CrossClimate+ tyres in XC90 size by the time I need to change. I had read that they were to release 20" sizing this year? If not then I won't go with Contisilents I'll pick something else.
Why wouldn’t you go with Conti Silents out of interest?

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 22:02   #7
Sceptre123

I have Pirelli all season on 20” no air. If you want to try my car I live in York. Just PM me
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 22:06   #8
DeZemBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Its rumbling road noise, sounds like front wheel bearings are shot, and road noise from B post even after getting mod carried out. Sounds like window or door not closed fully.
New smooth tarmac road surfaces are fine but on any other surface over 40mph its very bad.
That sounds like problems throughout the car instead of just the tyres
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 22:20   #9
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
I have Pirelli all season on 20” no air. If you want to try my car I live in York. Just PM me
Thanks, assume the car didn’t have those from new, and if that is correct did you notice any difference from the originals?

Last edited by familymangreg; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 22:21. Reason: Corrected typo
familymangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 22:27   #10
Roosterb

Anyone tried Avon ZX7?
Roosterb is offline   Reply With Quote