Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

True MPG - Which one do I believe

Views : 2187

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 12:08   #1
WhatNext?

Default True MPG - Which one do I believe

So, I am obsessed with my fuel consumption.

Before, I drove off from the dealer, I reset the trip computers. I haven't reset anything since. Volvo on Call was activated prior to driving off the same day.

My fuel consumption show 3 values:

Driving Performance from Sensus Screen: 32.4 mpg

TM from the 12.3 inch digital dashboard: 33.0 mpg

Volvo on Call app: Average fuel Consumption: 33.2 mpg

So which one is true average consumption?

Old May 27th, 2019, 12:37   #2
dling

I can tell you which one not to trust , the VOC one. I do quite often the exact same short distance drive. The VOC shows most of the times about 1.1 km, but quite often I get 0.9 or even 1.8 (once). And I repeat, the exact same path.

Now I let you figure it out between the remaining two

One more hint, if you have the additional heater, I believe only the driver’s display accounts for the petrol used by the it. But this is just a guess.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 14:24   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post

Before, I drove off from the dealer, I reset the trip computers. I haven't reset anything since. Volvo on Call was activated prior to driving off the same day.

None.

They will not be accurate.

Fill your vehicle up and reset your mile meter.

Fill up and divide the litres of fuel you took up by 4.56 which will give you the number of gallons you have used.

Divide mile trip by gallons and it will tell you. On board computers are generally not accurate.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 14:30   #4
Boatie
Master Member

In reality, none. My sensus screen never agrees with my driver display reading and any time I've done fill to fill, even multiple fills it always is less. Look on the readings as an indication and entertainment on a long run.

As an aside the best 'on the day ' reading I've achieved is 60.1 mpg over about 180 miles. The truth, who knows ?

Frank

2017 V90 D4 with 15k on the clock
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 14:35   #5
Parky12

You are doing well to get over 30mpg mine sits around 27.5mpg

As has just been said only proper calculations will give you the figures you want. I keep a small pad in the car to note every fill and mileage. A spreadsheet does all the calcs and is not that far away from what the car reports. Well not to the nearest round number which is close enough for me

I also did a comparison between running a D4 and the T5. Yes there is a bit of a hit which is less of a concern now I do less mileage, but that extra shove when you want it does make me smile
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 15:45   #6
airforced

I too try and drive in an economic manner (not to save money but because I like a smoother ride) and have the Sensus economy thingy on the screen all the time. How accurate it is doesn't really interest me too much but it does indicate to me how I am driving generally.

I can't compare it to my trip meter in the driver display because that hasn't been reset for ages (and won't be until it goes in for service) but that is showing 42.3 which hasn't changed for for a long time. Looking at the Sensus when I do a local run (18 miles or so) I always end up with a 43 'ish reading and on longer (100 miles 'ish) I usually end up with 60+ now that the engine is starting to loosen up after 3,000 miles.

Take whatever you are looking at mpg wise with a pinch of salt if you will as in my view it is only an indication (but a good one at that) of how you are driving. Improve on it and it shows that you are getting to be a smoother and better driver. That is worth money in your pocket, if that matters to you.
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:01   #7
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky12 View Post
You are doing well to get over 30mpg mine sits around 27.5mpg

As has just been said only proper calculations will give you the figures you want. I keep a small pad in the car to note every fill and mileage. A spreadsheet does all the calcs and is not that far away from what the car reports. Well not to the nearest round number which is close enough for me

I also did a comparison between running a D4 and the T5. Yes there is a bit of a hit which is less of a concern now I do less mileage, but that extra shove when you want it does make me smile
Also bear in mind that for low mileage drivers the cost saving in buying a T5 over a D5 pays for one helluva lot of petroleum.
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:05   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Is it normal ? I mean three different indicators and none shows true average consumption?
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:20   #9
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
Is it normal ? I mean three different indicators and none shows true average consumption?
How do you know that none of them is showing a true figure?
Old May 27th, 2019, 16:23   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post

Well I would say you have a pretty good average of around 33mpg, they are not that different, the sensus screen mpg may be set to calculate every 10 miles and may need a bit longer to update, you can alter it to every one mile.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote