Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2.0T Lambda Sensor

Views : 10136

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:59   #11
Maitland

Nickmac Wrote:
Quote:
In my experience it is always worth paying a little bit more for genuine sensor/electrical components on a car.
You would not believe the number of problems i have had with after market sensors just not being able to do the job.
This is the same with scrap yard bits, a false economy i feel most of the time for sensitive electrical parts.
Yes I am beginning to think that, however the breakers Lambda is on and hopefully will get around to doing the job it is designed for eventually.

Spangoolies Wrote:
Quote:
the engine changed mid 2000. i hope your on the right track to getting this problem fixed, but just to let you know, changing the front sensor is easy, the one after the cat is gonna be a bitch to change. the wiring routes from the sensor up through the under side of the car and into the most awkward places inside the centre console on the left of the gear-stick. i had to adjust the wiring for my aftermarket exhaust, was a hell of a job just locating it inside. goodluck mate
It was the sensor after the cat was the one the technician changed last week and he said it was a bit of a problem (I still only cost me £15 for fitting however). The Laddie is taking the car this afternoon to have another look at it for me, so let's hope he can rectify the problem.

Kind Regards

Maitland
Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 22:40   #12
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

you can easily do the front yourself, just unscrew it from the exhaust and unclip the other end from the firewall. really easy, just follow the wires from the sensor. goodluck, hope it works

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:34   #13
Maitland

Spangoolies Wrote:
Quote:
you can easily do the front yourself, just unscrew it from the exhaust and unclip the other end from the firewall. really easy, just follow the wires from the sensor. goodluck, hope it works
Spangoolies, I am grateful. I may just get around to that. The laddie forgot he was looking at the car yesterday but he should get around to it during the week.

The warning light went off again and then back on for a few miles (tease !!!) but the car is running perfectly well. Other car into Landrover tomorrow to see if they can find and then repair the leak in the sunroof under warranty, I won't be holding my breath !!

Once again, thank you for the advise.

Kind Regards

Maitland
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 19:14   #14
Maitland

Well the Volvo is back from the technician. There were two faulty Lambda Sensors on the V40 (apparantly there are three Lambda Sensors on this V40)

The next one that needs replacing is the Lambda Sensor named Bank 1 Sensor 2. Does anybody know if there is a difference in these Lambda Sensors on the V40 or are they all just the same ? When I got the last one from the breakers there was no mention of any Lambda Sensor being different from another on this car.

Oh yes and just to exercise my gums a little more. The Landrover went in for it's diagnostic, I was told that it needed an Upper Sunroof Frame and would cost including fitting £545, they would not cover it under warranty. I won't blether on about this as it is hardly relevant for this forum or this thread but I am a little disappointed with Landrover and have decided to look elsewhere for another 7 seater when I decide to change this one.

Apologies to the Moderators for veering off topic on this one.

Kind Regards

Maitland
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 20:13   #15
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

very strange. my friend has a phase 1 s40 2.0t and i have phase 2 s40 2.0t and both of us have replaced our complete exhausts ourselves and neither of us have 3 lambda sensors. only 2. only people i know with an extra sensor have fitted it themselves for a wideband afr gauge. if anyone knows more about this please post as im curious to know what its for

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 09:04   #16
Maitland

Spangoolies, the tech is from my wife's work. She is in this afternoon so I will ask her to speak with him again but she is 100% sure that he said there were 3 Sensors on this V40.

When you replaced your Exhaust system were both Lambda Sensors the same ? I have contacted some breakers to see if they have a Bank 1 Number 2 Lambda Sensor available.

Oh yes and out of interest what is a Wideband AFR Gauge ?

Kind Regards

Maitland
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 21:44   #17
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

the actual sensors are the same fitting but im pretty sure the wiring is different. you will need to order the right one im affraid.
a wideband afr gauge is for reading the air/fuel ratio. as our cars lambda sensors dont work well with normal afr gauges at all, to get a propper reading a wideband afr guage is required that comes with its own lambda sensor that is added to the exhaust

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 21:58   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Here Here Nick i fully agree , not worth all the hastle is it ... same with non genuine catalytic converters ...
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 10:41   #19
Maitland

A wee update on the V40. I managed to get my hands on another Lambda Sensor but before it was fitted the warning light went out. The car has been running like a dream.

Wife stopped of at tesco yesterday and filled up. Drove the quarter of a mile to work with no problem, left the car for 4 hours and then drove home. The car was running like an absolute pig. Car was running as if it had a flat, shuddering and at times losing power.

The car is now sitting at our local garage and I am just waiting for the bad news, this is 2 days after getting a bill for ANOTHER leak in my Land Rover, £24 for parts £150 for Labour and all for a BL**dy Leak.

Oh and on the question of how many Lambda Sensors there are on this V40, there are only 2 !!

Maitland
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 17:18   #20
Neo123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitland View Post
A wee update on the V40. I managed to get my hands on another Lambda Sensor but before it was fitted the warning light went out. The car has been running like a dream.

Wife stopped of at tesco yesterday and filled up. Drove the quarter of a mile to work with no problem, left the car for 4 hours and then drove home. The car was running like an absolute pig. Car was running as if it had a flat, shuddering and at times losing power.

The car is now sitting at our local garage and I am just waiting for the bad news, this is 2 days after getting a bill for ANOTHER leak in my Land Rover, £24 for parts £150 for Labour and all for a BL**dy Leak.

Oh and on the question of how many Lambda Sensors there are on this V40, there are only 2 !!

Maitland
the sympton does look like a o2 sensor fault. I had similar on my nissan primera it drove like a dream. But in one instance the car ran rough and was jerking like mad. Then went normal again but was doing low mpg, now replaced o2 sensor all is well.
Neo123 is offline   Reply With Quote