Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uk/Euro Travel Wagon

Views : 1141

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 16:31   #1
nickm

Default Uk/Euro Travel Wagon

Looking at coming over next year, wondering where would be the best country, to buy a reliable 740-940 wagon. Could even go a 240 but looking for something I can fix, but hopefully will not need to.
Planing on travelling UK, and Europe maybe as far as Turkey.

I'm originally from the UK, but not sure how your Tax MOT and Insurance system works. so if I needed a car for 3 months what's involved? Over the purchase price. Please move to another forum if needed.
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 21:13   #2
roadcar2000

Ty to buy a car with at least those 3 months MOT on it for your use in the UK. If you are going to be out of the UK for at least 12 months then you keep the ownership document but return the slip part that says you have exported the car. That means you do not have to worry about the tax or MOT. When you return it to the uk declare the car at customs at the Port of entry and they will instruct you.
roadcar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 23:35   #3
jack taylor
Master Member

I would declare SORN on-line as soon as the car leaves the uk. Upon your return you can MOT and then tax the car.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:16   #4
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
I would declare SORN on-line as soon as the car leaves the uk. Upon your return you can MOT and then tax the car.
The car should be road legal if it is driven in another European country; tax, MOT and insurance should be in place.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:01   #5
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
The car should be road legal if it is driven in another European country; tax, MOT and insurance should be in place.
You can't SORN and take the car abroad. You would have to declare the address the vehicle is stored OFF ROAD.

Also if you declare it exported you would have to re register it somewhere in Europe.

If I were the OP I would buy a car in the UK with 6 months test and tax if possible and then insure it and use it for the European tour. UK prices will be less than mainland Europe.

When you're due to come over start looking a couple weeks before on Autotrader and Ebay, I'm sure there are people here who would give the cars a once over for you.

For insurance, this could be problematic. Firstly is a 3 month policy an option or would a annual policy surrendered after 3 months be cheaper. Secondly, what is your itinerary? A lot of UK policies only allow short trips abroad from 30-90 days duration depending on insurer and you need a UK address to insure from. Do you have family here?

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cumbrianmale For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:10   #6
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
You can't SORN and take the car abroad. You would have to declare the address the vehicle is stored OFF ROAD.

Also if you declare it exported you would have to re register it somewhere in Europe.

If I were the OP I would buy a car in the UK with 6 months test and tax if possible and then insure it and use it for the European tour. UK prices will be less than mainland Europe.

When you're due to come over start looking a couple weeks before on Autotrader and Ebay, I'm sure there are people here who would give the cars a once over for you.

For insurance, this could be problematic. Firstly is a 3 month policy an option or would a annual policy surrendered after 3 months be cheaper. Secondly, what is your itinerary? A lot of UK policies only allow short trips abroad from 30-90 days duration depending on insurer and you need a UK address to insure from. Do you have family here?
Wot he says, plus I would add don't bother with the front drive stuff, get the latest model 940 wagon you can afford cos if you're abroad from UK you'll want something easily fixable.

C.A.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:14   #7
nickm

thanks

yes I have family in the Uk and Switzerland.
In the Uk is insurance on the one specific vehicle and specified to named drivers?
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 15:34   #8
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
thanks

yes I have family in the Uk and Switzerland.
In the Uk is insurance on the one specific vehicle and specified to named drivers?
Yes, essentially you insure yourself to drive a specific (named) vehicle. This also (unless specifically negated on the certificate) gives you third-party cover on any vehicle, not owned by you but being driven with the owner's permission, in the UK.

C.A.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 16:13   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Right, a quick one on the ins and outs of the UK system -

To drive your car on the road in the UK, aside from a license, you need:

A Tax disc - you can buy 6 or 12 months of vehicle tax, and you receive a paper disc that goes in the window with the expiry date on it. For a car made before 2001, 6 months currently costs £118.25 and 12 months costs £215.

MOT certificate - An annual and comprehensive safety inspection on all cars over 3 years old. the test costs £50-55 and is performed at any garage which is licensed to perform them. If the car passes, you're issued a certificate valid for one year, if it fails, you will be given a sheet listing all the defects on the car which must be remedied before presenting for a retest. The tester may also issue an advisory sheet with the pass sheet, detailing potential defects which are not serious enough to fail the test outright but still require attention. Sellers or traders sometimes 'lose' the advisory sheet before selling a car in an attempt to hide defects.

Insurance - you will buy an insurance policy in your name for your car, although many insurance policies will cover you to drive other people's cars with basic coverage. There are three levels of insurance: Third party, which covers your liabilities only, third party fire and theft which is as above but also covers you against theft of/from your vehicle or damage by fire, and fully comprehensive which covers all of the above as well as damage to your vehicle which if your own fault. You'll have to read the fine print on your policy carefully as some insurers don't cover overseas travel of set a time limit on it. You may have to buy extra insurance if you're planning to travel on the continent for a few months.

Driving without any of the above three will get your car seized if stopped by the police. You will then have to obtain the appropriate paperwork and present it before your car is released, as well as paying a fine.

It's also the law in much of europe (though not in the UK) that a car MUST carry a warning triangle, high-vis vest, fire extinguisher, first-aid kit and spare set of bulbs, and they DO check.

Last edited by wooble; Apr 10th, 2011 at 16:54.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 16:45   #10
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default sorn

cumbrian says==""""You can't SORN and take the car abroad. You would have to declare the address the vehicle is stored OFF ROAD. """"

they dont ask for that anymore

Last edited by brodgar; Apr 10th, 2011 at 16:45. Reason: "highlight"" quote
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote