Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warranty Renewal Question

Views : 1196

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2020, 09:43   #1
Sphinx2000

Default Warranty Renewal Question

Hi,

My XC60 is coming up to 3 years old now and the warranty renewal has come though which is around £450 for an extra 1yr.

Looking at 3rd party warranty sites - warrantywise with all the extras added comes to £295.

The only thing I have had go wrong so far with the car was the Air Suspension Compressor which was replaced under warranty.

I am looking to keep the car for at least another 2 years.

What have you guys done so far? Be grateful for any advise?

Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:38   #2
ergonomist

I took out the Volvo 2yr extension (only available through the dealer). Still provided by a 3rd party, and hence still with various exclusions - which I fell foul of. Had a couple of oil seals fail (crank shaft and cam shaft) - and the Volvo warranty doesn't cover oil leaks. Volvo agreed to cover 95% of the approx £1400 cost. Did the fact that I had a Volvo extended warranty help persuade them, rather than a different warranty? Who knows...
Old May 28th, 2020, 12:52   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
I took out the Volvo 2yr extension (only available through the dealer). Still provided by a 3rd party, and hence still with various exclusions - which I fell foul of. Had a couple of oil seals fail (crank shaft and cam shaft) - and the Volvo warranty doesn't cover oil leaks. Volvo agreed to cover 95% of the approx £1400 cost. Did the fact that I had a Volvo extended warranty help persuade them, rather than a different warranty? Who knows...
Won’t have done any harm and probably a lot of good.
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 12:44   #4
ST65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
Which dealer did you take out the 2 year warranty with and what was the cost please? All those I've contacted are only offering a one year extension, the same as the Volvo website?
ST65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 13:52   #5
Davebbass

I took out an 18 month warranty with Motoreasy on my V90. Volvo quoted £495 for an additional year, with lots of things excluded, whereas Motoreasy offered 18 months for £525 with everything covered, and the car still goes to Volvo for the work. They say I simply let them know, take it into Volvo and let Volvo know about the warranty, and then they'll authorise / pay for the work to be done.

They were pretty useful with things like the start date too, as my main warranty was due to expire at the end of May, and Volvo announced that cars registered between two dates in 2017 (can't remember to be exact) would have their manufacturer warranties extended by three months. Rang Motoreasy, no problem at all and they've happily moved the start date with no issues.
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 13:55   #6
ergonomist

It was Waylands Reading - but it was the Volvo extended warranty (had to be taken out before the end of the original manufacturer warranty). At the time - just over a year ago - you could get the one-year extension online, but you had to go through the dealer for the two year extension (roughly twice the cost ). I got the impression it was something to do with FCA requirements for financial services - and the dealerships didn't like it because it came with a load of paperwork requirements for them. But unless anything's changed, any dealer ought to be able to offer the 2-year extension (provided you're still within the original 3year warranty).
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 14:54   #7
ST65

Bells Northampton have just quoted £895 for the 2 years/100 000 miles for our XC60. (stated 1 year extensions would be: Year 4 - £445 60000 miles /£495 80000 miles, Year 5 - £550 100000 miles) so £100 saving to buy 2 years in advance.

Warranty Direct £788 for 2 years (all options checked) with a £50 excess and uncapped labour.

Motor easy £945 for 2 years Plan A with £50 excess - with 10% discount to be applied if bought today making it £850!

Anyone got any thoughts, experiences or recommendations re using these companies versus via Volvo main dealer?

Last edited by ST65; Jul 7th, 2020 at 14:56.
ST65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 08:13   #8
Driver Dave

Bells were great with me when I wanted to extend my warranty to 5 years in June last year. They are not my dealer, I live in the Scottish Highlands, who does not do the Volvo extended warranty due to FSA Regulations, but Bells were extremely helpful in setting it up for me.

The Volvo Extended Warranty is run by Car Plan.

The warranty came into it's own in September when the steering lock failed and was replaced with out question.