Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 II - rust?

Views : 2774

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:06   #11
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I've done a bit more research, and it seems that the increased susceptibility for rust in the facelift versions coincides with Volvo starting to use water based paint? That started in 1995 apparently. It may be a coincidence, but its a reasonable assumption IMHO.

I'm delighted to hear that your S90 is rust free Capt Jack - my heart sank when I started reading about all the rust issues coming to light as I really really want one I almost gave up hope and started to look at old Mercedes instead!

So the hunt is back on - thanks for your feedback everyone, its much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on.

NB volvo always - I need an A1 condition saloon sorry. It'll immediately become the daily driver so has to be in excellent condition with minimal work needed. And it has to be a saloon to keep SWMBO happy
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:30   #12
griston64
Premier Member

Nothing to do with me but it looks reasonable

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1208600
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 10:08   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I really really want one I almost gave up hope and started to look at old Mercedes instead!
20 years or so ago I owned a Merc E-series, the W124 model. It was only 5 years old at the time, and had had just one careful owner. To be frank it was the second-worst car I ever owned. It was for ever playing up with silly mechanical faults, and the paintwork was really poor. I was glad to see the back of it. There's this perception that Mercs are the utlimate in automotive longevity and quality, but this really isn't so. C-Class and E-Class cars from the late 90's and early noughties in particular can rot like Italian cars of old.

That said, the worst car I ever owned was a more recent Honda Civic with their infamous I-Shift semi-automatic transmission, about which the least said the better.......it still gives me the shakes even now to think about it!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 16:38   #14
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks Griston, I had seen that one and have been pondering about it. Seems ok tbh, and the MoT history is reasonable - no mention of rust and just the usual tyres, ball joints etc noted - plus an oil leak that lasted years lol. I'll need to check the PCV on that one, along with the rear main oil seal! I've dropped him a line anyway - we'll see what he says...

CaptJack, I know all too well how spectacularly an E class rusts - a work colleague had one about 10 years ago, and even then it was dissolving in front of him. Wheel arches, boot floor, windscreen scuttle, it was astonishing. My brother in law currently has a C class coupe which he loves - it has about 250k miles up now, and while its fine mechanically he has said that the rust on that is getting to be a problem, and he's looking for a new car as well - he's going to get a new Freelander as they have a dog.

I'd also considered a Jag - but they also suffer from serious rust... its incredible that in this day and age, we have more problems with rust than we did 20 years ago!

Anyway, I'm set on a 940/960 as there isn't anything else that I like - and is free of canbus electrics, and electronic throttle bodies. I guess I'm confirming my reputation as a bit of a dinosaur
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 23:22   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Anyway, I'm set on a 940/960 as there isn't anything else that I like - and is free of canbus electrics, and electronic throttle bodies. I guess I'm confirming my reputation as a bit of a dinosaur
Nothing wrong with disliking CANBus, it's an unnecessary complication, after all how many wires/signals are really needed to turn a light on or off?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 09:28   #16
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Before I bought my current 940, I was on the hunt for a 960/V90. I came close to buying a couple of them, but the rust issue seems (curiously) far more prevalent than in 940s, as has been noted, which put me off a bit. My '96 940 is entirely rust free, so I'm not sure how the build process for the 960/S/V90 differed to make it a little more vulnerable.

I have seen some terrific examples, though-they are out there. If you're prepared to pay a little more and do a bit more hunting, I'm sure you'll find a clean and rust free example, as per Capt. Jack's.

Economy wise, they're not great, but not THAT much worse than any 7/900 series car. My old "misery spec" 2.0 auto 745 turned in considerably worse figures than the equivalent 3.0 auto 965, which, of course, makes not far off twice as many ponies. If you're not doing telephone number mileage, they're a lovely way to travel.

Good luck and keep us posted on the hunt!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 19:06   #17
griston64
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-MODE...YAAOSwjWRe63Mn

This one won't have any rust
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 08:53   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I have a Jap import Discovery V8, which is as you say totally rust free and very low mileage (48k now!). One thing that nobody mentions is that the Japanese heat destroys plastics! Plastic bumpers become very brittle, window rubbers degrade to leave stubborn black smudges when you wash it, grey/black plastic trim becomes light grey and mottled, and the plastic convoluted tubing that protects the wiring turns to dust. The Jap spec tyres are also of a harder compound and are noisy and harsh on UK roads...

So while they are indeed rust free, they are far from trouble free!

Shameless pic of my Discovery -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 10:54   #19
Rversteeg
Master Member

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-MODE...YAAOSwjWRe63Mn

This one won't have any rust
The price includes a driver, by the looks of it!

Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2020, 23:01   #20
StanC
'Mature' Member

Just picked up this thread. I can echo Capt Jack about rust - my 1996 960 has absolutely no body rust that I am aware of. This is probably because I've always kept the car in a well-ventilated dry garage and every two years I top up the rustproofing using Bodyline Amber spray in the box sections and black Body Schultz on the exposed areas.

Obtaining genuine Volvo parts is now difficult and I am having to use after-market makes for things like bushes, filters and radiator. Recently it needed a new exhaust rear box/tailpipe unit and the genuine part from Volvo turned out to be a rear box/tailpipe for a 940! It had the correct part number but Volvo now no longer produce the 'old' 960 unit. What they supplied fits the car OK but it looks different. It might be the availability of good quality parts that eventually forces me to get rid of the car, which will be a pity because it's in excellent condition and runs beautifully.

Just a comment about the 2.5 litre versus 3.0 litre - the lower ratio rear axle on the 2.5 means that the engine spins faster at any given cruising speed than the 3.0, so any fuel saving from the smaller engine capacity is offset by that engine revving higher. Basically, the same size/weight lump of a car is shifted regardless of engine size, so the fuel consumption is similar - the autobox versus manual will have an effect in favour of the 2.5 of course.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StanC For This Useful Post: