Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Tow Bar Bike Carrier - any experience?

Views : 1472

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 10:16   #1
Zigster

Default Volvo Tow Bar Bike Carrier - any experience?

I'm biting the bullet and paying Volvo a lot of money to fit a tow bar so I can use a tow bar mounted bike carrier/rack. The other options just don't seem as good (Roof: fuel economy impact, low barriers worry, sheer difficulty in getting the bikes so high on the roof. Strap-on boot mounted: stability worries, damage to paintwork, etc)

I was going to go to roofbox and get either a Thule or an Altera rack, which both seem to get good reviews. However, I spotted that Volvo does its own branded one for a similar sort of price (a 3+1 set up for the whole family).

I haven't seen any reviews of the Volvo one so would appreciate any experience you might have. Is it just a rebadged Thule, for example?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 14:15   #2
D5driver
No Spam here

Rebranded Thule's same as the roof boxes

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 15:15   #3
Zigster

Thanks - I suspected it might be a rebadged Thule.

I think I might go for the Atera Strada, though. The Strada is quite a bit lighter and the nose weight maximum for the D3 is only 75kg so the extra 8kg weight of the Thule is material.

I confess that nose weight for a tow bar was not something I even considered when buying the XC60 (and comparing the FWD with the AWD). I don't tow anything and assumed I would carry bikes on the roof or on a boot-mounted rack - it was only when I started looking into it that I found out the tow bar mounted option is so much a better bet.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 11:54   #4
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
Thanks - I suspected it might be a rebadged Thule.

I think I might go for the Atera Strada, though. The Strada is quite a bit lighter and the nose weight maximum for the D3 is only 75kg so the extra 8kg weight of the Thule is material.

I confess that nose weight for a tow bar was not something I even considered when buying the XC60 (and comparing the FWD with the AWD). I don't tow anything and assumed I would carry bikes on the roof or on a boot-mounted rack - it was only when I started looking into it that I found out the tow bar mounted option is so much a better bet.
I thoroughly recommend the Atera Strada. I have the 3+1 and use it on my FWD D3 with no problems. It is lighter than most and is very stable with 4 adult sized bikes, although I use a stabilising strap (as recommended by the retailer) from the last bike to a single rear mounted roof bar which you can just see on this photo....

They're not cheap though - I bought mine from the Roofbox Company - from their bargains / returns section:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bargains-sale-clearance/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000798.jpg (142.5 KB, 49 views)
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 07:25   #5
Zigster

Cheers.

The Atera Strada has turned up - still in boxes in the garage until the tow bar is fitted next week.

I do have roof bars so will look at using the stabilising strap - presumably you've found there is a benefit to it? Or is it just caution on your part?
Old Sep 28th, 2013, 12:08   #6
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
Cheers.

The Atera Strada has turned up - still in boxes in the garage until the tow bar is fitted next week.

I do have roof bars so will look at using the stabilising strap - presumably you've found there is a benefit to it? Or is it just caution on your part?
I drove round the block without it and decided that I couldn't stand the view of bikes bouncing in my rear view mirror, so fitted the straps. I then drove 400 miles of m-way and 50 miles of single track Scottish roads plus 2 miles of farm track with no problem. It would probably be OK though without the strap for 2 bikes.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 01:09   #7
inego

Sorry to pull up an older thread - please let me know if this breaches board protocol.

Currently looking to purchase an xc60, and thinking about carrying the push bikes. We have an Octavia Scout estate at the moment and use a Thule roof bar system to carry 4 bikes. I like the roof system, but the xc60 is taller, and carrying the bike on the roof means we can't also use the roof box.

Have others grappled with this issue. I don't really want to get ride of the roof mountings only to find that the tow bar mounting is painful.

Any feedback welcomed!
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 07:26   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I used to roof mount the bikes but found that even at my height (6' 2") it was painful lifting up the bikes and quite strain to secure them. It always involved standing on the sills whereas on the v70 it was an easy job and didn't involve stretching or standing on sills.

I changed to the Thule towbar mounted carrier - so much easier and much more practical.
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 13:59   #9
Waggatron

Default Roof vs tow bar

I carry my bikes on a Thule roof rack and carriers. Can fit 4 at a push. Kids smaller bikes on the middle two and adult bikes on the outside. I bought a collapsible metal step from Lakeland which now lives in the boot. However even with that (and I'm 6'5") the two middle bikes are a stretch. It also kills fuel economy. I average 40 ish without and 36 with (I've got a D3). They also whistle on the motorway like the wind section of an orchestra. One final moan.....with an adult bike on the roof you are around 9ft high. I found that out to my cost when I ripped my mountain bike off the roof one day (hadn't clocked the barrier as I entered carpark...oops!). Still there was nothing wrong with the strength of the roof rails but the bike and carrier looked a bit of a mess afterwards!

So in summary my next XC60 is having a tow bar fitted !!
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 21:25   #10
inego

Thanks guys. I had been looking at collapsible steps also - even with the Scout getting the bikes up there involves sill standing.

Has anyone used the Thule 4 bike products? I like the look of the Atera, but it doesn't appear to be sold in Australia, so I have a ? over its legality here. The similar Thule only appears to go to 3 bikes, so 3 on the back and on on the roof with the box may be another option.
inego is offline   Reply With Quote