Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check for when buying an S60?

Views : 208727

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2014, 00:38   #51
S60D

@coolbeans, I have the car now for almost 1,5 year and i love it, it has never let me down, other then the alarm and the boot lock, previous owners did not give the car a hard time as a result the Turbo had to be replaced it was full with gunk. So yes, horror stories, but err, there is no perfect car! Just enjoy it, that's the message.
S60D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 00:42   #52
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The trouble with motoring forums is the majority of posts are from people who are experiencing problems. You rarely hear people saying that everything is working just fine, even though that is what the majority of owners find most of the time.

My XC70 is just north of 202,000 miles and is still going strong. Other than standard servicing items, I've only had new intercooler and flexiplate (the auto equivalent of the flywheel). So far, it has been one of the most reliable and cheap to maintain cars I've ever owned. Of course, there will be some dodgy ones out there, but that is true for any make and model.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2014, 01:01   #53
coolbeans

Thanks guys. I'll keep her maintained along with the crossed fingers. Just shod it with four new Hankooks and it's a transformed vehicle from the Event rubbish that was on it. Service next month too and then a polish methinks.
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 15:56   #54
AndrewBrown

Wink

Similar priced Mercedes and BMW's?
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 21:06   #55
Leyburn

2007 S60 D5 manual, approaching 100k miles in my ownership, total mileage of 200k not too far away. It's been an excellent car and owes me nothing.

If buying similar again, I would want 16" wheels for comfort and turning circle. Check history for DMF, clutch, clutch slave, cambelt, driveshafts and intercooler.

For preference, buy from a local dealer so that you can take it back if any faults appear immediately following purchase.

Give it a good caning to keep the DPF clear, I do sometimes wonder what condition the EGR is in, but the engine thrives on revs, so it's probably OK (?!)
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leyburn For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:44   #56
rangerovering

Hi

Looking at 07-09 S60s, looking to get some more opinion/thoughts about what models are best. So if anyone can throw info in that would be great! My dad had a 54 plate D5 geartronic from new for 5 years and was a great car so I have a little familiarity with the model.

Engines:

I need 40mpg minimum reliably, obviously (and sadly) that means no T5, and I expect the 2.0T is not really going to manage that either in the real world? So diesels, is the 163 engine worth considering or is it 185 D5 all day long? I have read that the Euro4 185 is the best variant?

Gearboxes:

For economy the manual is better on the fuel, but if the auto is good I am happy to consider it. Did the geartronic change with the facelift in 07? Obviously the manual has risk of clutch/dmf problems but then an autobox is expensive to repair also...

Trim:

SE, SE Sport and SE Lux all of interest, although I've never been in an SE Sport how do they ride/handle compared to the others?

The only other main thing I would ask about is fitting an aftermarket stereo/head unit so that bluetooth connectivity and music streaming is possible. The dash is quite integrated on these cars are there any dos and dont's and things to look out for?

Thanks!
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 17:52   #57
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile things to considerate on .. 😀

Thet are great cars,, and the D5 is pretty bulletproof .. but at the sort of year your looking at poor maintenance will play its hand ... but nothing new there, i get avg 37 mpg anyday with my euro4 S60 '06 and probably 45mpg on motorway runs. The euro 3 ones give slightly better mpg, but performance not quite as good i think there are 163 bhp D5 s around 2006, but theyre fairly heavy cars, so if you really want 40 to 50 plus mpg yould be needing something like a D2 (not sure thats the era for the psa engine tho..)

Clutches and dmf (well anything starting D and ending in F, that'll include the Dpf which usually gets cited as a big problem but again i have had zero problems in over 70k miles and 10years with mine, the clutch slave did go on mine and thats an expensive repair - gearbox/subframe off, usually worth replacing the clutch while youre in there although mine has the original dmf and at 140k miles no trouble there). 06 onward is the years ford would play some influence on parts and quality,

Se Lux is the one to find, if you can , with the audio you can easily install a yatour box there may be later versions that support bluetooth, it just have all my music on an sd card or mem stick, and it works great with the wheel controls, the Hu850 sound system is pretty good,
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 01:10   #58
swedishs60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
The trouble with motoring forums is the majority of posts are from people who are experiencing problems. You rarely hear people saying that everything is working just fine, even though that is what the majority of owners find most of the time.

My XC70 is just north of 202,000 miles and is still going strong. Other than standard servicing items, I've only had new intercooler and flexiplate (the auto equivalent of the flywheel). So far, it has been one of the most reliable and cheap to maintain cars I've ever owned. Of course, there will be some dodgy ones out there, but that is true for any make and model.
a couple of years later, I've just bought a s60 2.4 2001. 2 previous owners. 140000 km on it. Changed timing belt and a thermostat day after I bought it. Now works great.

It only has issues with the lock box which seems to be a super common issue on these. But so far it's fine, it just makes a ticking noise so I don't even know if I'll ever bother changing it.
swedishs60 is offline   Reply With Quote