Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt frequency?

Views : 1449

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2019, 19:49   #1
hennabm

Default Timing belt frequency?

When I bought the car - a 240DL with B230K - I fitted a new Volvo timing belt, tensioner and water pump as a the car had been sitting for 8 years.

It is now 4 years later and only 10k, so is it due for a change now on time rather than mileage. Would it be without risk to go for a further year when I may add a further 3k.

TIA.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 21:04   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabm View Post
When I bought the car - a 240DL with B230K - I fitted a new Volvo timing belt, tensioner and water pump as a the car had been sitting for 8 years.

It is now 4 years later and only 10k, so is it due for a change now on time rather than mileage. Would it be without risk to go for a further year when I may add a further 3k.

TIA.
The main issue I should think is not the age or mileage but the fact that at that age of vehicle you are in prime camshaft old seal failure, risk of contamination etc.

I would get a trusted indipendant to do it that way you ensure you have a nice fresh belt in a clean housing. If it were me I would actually do it myself. Probably easy.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 23:15   #3
hennabm

Hi XC

No noticeable leaks. I’ll take off the top cover and check.

I agree the B230 is a very easy cambelt to fit, having done the original refurb.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 23:25   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennabm View Post
Hi XC

No noticeable leaks. I’ll take off the top cover and check.

I agree the B230 is a very easy cambelt to fit, having done the original refurb.
You would notice if there were leaks with the cover off.

If it were me I would change it however that’s mainly as I enjoy working on vehicles. If it does not leak then in reality another 12k is not likely to make a huge amount of doffeeence and it is highly likely to be done.

Check of it is an interference engine. A lot of the older ones were not
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 01:22   #5
daveo2002

Our 240 gets regular use, usually 4-5k miles added each year.

I've changed the cam belt at 45k intervals or 8 years, whichever has come first.

That's with the B230E engine, rumoured to be interference due to high compression. The belt has always looked okay at the point of change.
daveo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 09:33   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo2002 View Post
I've changed the cam belt at 45k intervals or 8 years, whichever has come first.

That's what I have always done, approximately.

When a belt reaches 40,000 I start looking for a convenient slot to fit in a change. I don't want to do it in very cold weather - too uncomfortable- or just before a holiday, or if my wife's taking the car somewhere the next day, or any number of excuses, knowing I've got all the time up to 50,000 miles if need be.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cam shaft seal if it's not leaking. You can spot it anyway without dismantling to look. The easiest inspection method of both belt and seal is the upper belt cover, and you can check for obvious wear or cracking. If you start it up with the cover off you can watch that the belt runs true on the sprockets, and listen to the tensioner.

I've never actually replaced a tensioner. I've always found that a noisy one responds well to removing it and soaking in oil overnight and then draining and drying thoroughly.

The system is pretty robust. Not like a modern car where plastic pulleys and things crack up and wreck the belt and engine. The water pump too is nothing to do with the timing belt, and doesn't suddenly fail without warning.
APART from the upper seal to the cylinder head, which can leak and as I found suddenly fail and blow out.

Even if the cam seal does leak, I've never found it got onto the belt. Oil seems to run down behind the plastic bit next to the block on to the steering rack, and along the seam between the head and block above the spark plugs and down the back of the engine.
I have heard that there is no need to remove the old cam seal - simply move it along and fit another one. I don't know if that is true, and it would obviously work only once.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 19:57   #7
hennabm

Evening all

Thanks for all the replies.
I will certainly leave it another year at least.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:16   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Returning to this thread please.

My B200F timing belt is approaching four years young. I remember seeing five years as the time interval. I have seen I think four years in the Bentley manual. But eight years?

Wot's the SP please?

Thanks.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 15:44   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I suppose also it depends how long the "new" belt has been sitting folded-up inside its box in a storage warehouse.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 16:35   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

So is my memory correct please. Five years? Is there a Volvo published number of years?

If it is five years I can wait one more year. The belt was changed four years ago by me.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: