Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cleaning upholstery

Views : 814

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 17:20   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Default cleaning upholstery

Hi, I have a 1998 V70 with velour seats. The seat bases are badly split so I have some pads to cover these. The seat backs are ok but need shampooing. I tried to gently wipe over these with a sponge and soap suds but the sponge grips the velour and pulls it. I then tried using a soft cloth but again it grips the velour and pulls it. Has anyone found a good method of shampooing without damaging the seat covering. thanks jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 22:02   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Cleaning velour can be tricky.

My old V40 had velour seats and I cleaned them every year by spraying Autoglym Upholstery Cleaner straight on to the fabric. I then used a Vax machine with warm clean water in to wash the fabric and suck the detergent and muck out of the fabric. Always done in the summer on a warm day so the seats dried quickly. The car covered 370,000mls and the seats were like new when scrapped. In fact the scrappie I sold it to listed the seats on ebay as rare immaculate seats from a low mileage car.

By contrast, 'er indoors Mk 4 Fiesta had velour seats, but the Vax would not work on them at all. The upholstery head would not slide across the fabric and even when held stationary there was no suction to get the water flowing. I ended up just wiping them over with a damp cloth and Autoglym. The seats never looked truly clean.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 01:42   #3
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi ITSv40, thanks for that. I don't have a vax and there is no rental in my area. I think I shall get a valet guy to do it. jack
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 02:16   #4
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Hello Jack hope you good

I do not have velour trim but am a massive fan of Megs APC

Use it on almost anything diluted at 10/1 for Alcantara up to 1/1 for outdoor teak furniture

Not a miracle product but once you get the hang of dilution rate and method it really is out of the top drawer

Approx 35 quid for a Yankee gallon and you having no worries with drying give it a try !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 10:39   #5
amazondean
amazondean

Try using a nail brush. One of those that have a handle and bristles for cleaning finger nails. If you use washing up liquid and hot water and work in a circular motion that usually works well.

I always try the cheap option and make it work, one way or another!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 17:45   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Bigfella666, I am fine thanks mate. Appreciate the reco but my problem is not the cleaning agent but the best method of applying same without it "pulling" the velour. The material is splitting badly along the seams although this is limited at present to the seat bases. I am loathed to exert too much pressure on the seat backs for fear that they will also split. Living where I do the car interior hits very high temps for 8 months of the year and I think this has degraded the velour.
I am taking the car to a local valet guy next week and shall see what he thinks. I have already checked and he carries insurance so I might just get new seats if he buggers it up. Thanks again...jack.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 17:49   #7
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Amazondean, many thanks but I don't think the velour will withstand bristles. I need a soft applicator which will not "pull" the material. I shall see what the valeter recos. thanks jack.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 22:26   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Good to hear you good Jack but I misled you about the price of Megs APC - I have just ordered a US gallon for 26 quid

When I pulled years and years of grease out of the Alcantara on Lenny I used Ammo Deans method save using an upholstery brush - softer bristles, circular then 90 degree motion then pulled the dirt / solution out with a damp Defunct tea towel ( 100% cotton / linen ). This was done many times over the summer months ( rubbed down with fine wet and dry when dry ) and my only regret was not taking pics at the start

If you do end up doing it yourself trick is not to get the material too wet and of course happy to come over and do it for you in return for free accommodation - been raining here non stop since at least 0300 this morning !!

I have only ever used our Romanian cousins to valet an s60 I had for a few months. They got rid of the grime on pale trim very well - but within a few weeks the stains reappeared - one of the reasons I began experimenting with Alcantara myself and boy did I make the right call !

Kindest regards
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 23:27   #9
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Bigfella666, many thanks for additional info. Over here we have our wonderful morrocan cousins but for some reason they move on very quickly.
Your offer to come over here is most kind but my conscience would not allow me to subject you to blue skies, palm trees and temps of 28c. Even worse our village is situated on a lovely beach and sitting there drinking coffee can become quite tirsome after a few hours. No I think you will be happier in the uk. Appreciate your advice and I think I shall give it a go. jack
Old Jun 13th, 2019, 03:21   #10
Baffler
Premier Member

I have just the solution (no pun intended) for your wonderful climate, Jack

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...tible/22082757

No affiliation with the seller what so ever.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote