Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav screen not working

Views : 2713

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2019, 12:26   #1
MartyButler

Default Sat Nav screen not working

Just wondering if anyone can help.
We have a 2011 XC90 2.4D R-design AWD which we bought a few months ago, it is our 2nd XC90.
The problem I am having is the screen for the sat nav doesn't rise up out of the dash (bought the car like this)
What i have learnt and tired from other threads on this forum;

Sat Nav is alive and communicating on the bus as it is green on the network on Vida.
Fuse 9 is not blown.
Took out the screen and tested the blue connector that goes onto screen and got the following results; 2 x Violet/white wires 12v supply from fuse 9, 1 x Violet wire that is a 12v switched supply and 2 x brown wires earths.
I have a red light at the end of one of the 2 orange lights going into the Hard drive under the passenger seat.
There is no disc in the Hard drive.
I have no problems with the radio.
I have tired to force the Sat Nav into diagnostic mode (ie) car asleep for 15 mins, open door, insert key, turn to Pos I and Press ENTER, BACK, ENTER, BACK etc and nothing still happens.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything else i can try i would be very gratefull.
MartyButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 12:31   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Maybe the nav is off.

Do you have a reverse camera?
The reverse camera is activated by the nav, the nav tells the screen to rise, regardless of the nav on/off status.

Do you have the nav remote control?
The nav system can be turned on and off by both the steering wheel buttons and by the remote control.
Try to turn on via the remote, maybe the steering wheel buttons do not work.
Test the steering wheel buttons in VIDA - do they all work correctly?

Do you hear the screen motor turning?
If not, first thing to do would be to try a replacement screen from a wreckers

The screens are not coded to the car, so can be swapped from any car to any car.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 15:54   #3
MartyButler

Thanks SwissXC90 for the fast reply.

The car doesn't have a reversing camera and I have tried to power on the Sat Nav with the remote control but had no luck.

I did as you suggested and tried to see if the buttons by the steering wheel work using Vida and this is what I have found out:
When I go into "Vehicle Communication" under the "Diagnostics" Tab in Vida I can see 20 modules in Green. When I click on each green module it will then allow me to select Parameters etc on the bottom of the screen for that selected module.
Out of the 20 Modules that are green for the car there are 2 modules when clicked on will not allow me to select parameters etc for that module, all that comes up on the screen is "No information Available", the 2 modules that this comes up for are the Multimedia Module "MMM" and the Audio Module "AUD".

Now I will point out that I don't use Vida everyday of the week so maybe I am looking in the wrong part of Vida to see if the buttons are working so any advice is greatly received.

Thanks in advance,
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 18:29   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Steering wheel buttons are on the CEM under SWM

But I just checked and it doesn't show the nav buttons
Only the other buttons
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 22:19   #5
MartyButler

I checked all of the Modules that were green on the car and had noticed that the "CEM" (Central Electronic Module) had 4 drop down boxes in the "Parameters" tab, all the other modules only have 1 drop down box.
I did go into the "SWM" in the "CEM" and had noticed that it had every other button on the steering wheel (eg) Cruise control, radio controls and phone controls, but as you said it doesn't have the Sat Nav buttons.

Just wondering is it right that "No information available" is coming up in the "Parameters" section on the "MMM" and "AUD" modules??? or is it a sign that there is some communication issue with the modules.
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyButler For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 05:30   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyButler View Post
Just wondering is it right that "No information available" is coming up in the "Parameters" section on the "MMM" and "AUD" modules??? or is it a sign that there is some communication issue with the modules.
No.
No Information available simply means that there are no parameters in the MMM that can be modified.

Your next step is to swap the screen with another
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 23:35   #7
MartyButler

Just a quick update on how I got on with the replacement 2nd hand screen that I got off the net.
So the screen arrived and i took out the old screen and put in the new one and guess what.... still nothing... no movement at all so you could imagine all the different thoughts going through my head.
One of the thoughts that was going through my head was the fact that the voice of the sat nav came on one day when i was driving the car and pressing the Enter and Back buttons for the sat nav by the steering wheel so this got me thinking that as there were only 2 cables going onto the bottom of the screen, a blue and grey connector and i had checked the blue connector but had never check the grey connector (going from the screen to the sat nav drive under the passenger seat)
So with both ends of the grey cable disconnected i was just about to check the continuity of the pins in the grey cable and when i tired to insert the test lead into the connector that goes into the back of the drive the inside of the connector moved away from me into its housing...
So i then pushed this all the way forward in its housing, reconnected both ends of the grey connector, started the car and .... the screen started to move up and is working away perfectly
So now i have a spare screen but as it only cost me €50 inc the postage i can't complain, the Sat Nav is working and that is the main thing
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyButler For This Useful Post: