Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Windscreen Washer Pump / Jets / Motor

Views : 28668

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 12:05   #1
sheikhr

Default XC90 Windscreen Washer Pump / Jets / Motor

Hi

The windscreen (Front and back) washer jets have stopped working on my XC90. The headlight washers still work on the 4th pull of the trigger.

I dont beleive I can hear the motor / pump when I pull the windscreen trigger so Im guessing the pump has gone or if im lucky the fuse.

Anyone ever replaced the pump, can give advice, even its just telling me how to locate it and get to it, or tell me where I can buy a manual. I dont think Haynes do a manual.

Any ideas / suggestions

Thanks
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 16:02   #2
sheikhr

Hi

I checked the owners manual and it states "washer pump" is fuse no 34 in the drivers side passenger compartment. it also has a picture of the fuse box but this picture only has fuses 1-30. When I opened up the fuse box as well, it only had fuses 1-30! any ideas?
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 17:43   #3
southportvolvo
Trader

Smile Washer pump

If it's any use, we've changed several washer pump's on XC90's, quite common to fail.

An interesting fact to save a bit of money, the Volvo part is exactly the same as the Ford part only in a different box, the Ford part is half the price!

Volvo part number: 30699952
Ford part number: 1355124

Remove the undertray, be prepared to get a bit wet as the washer bottle empties itself and replace unit. A bit fiddly but not too bad.
southportvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to southportvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 17:44   #4
Tiggerii

I had the same problem myself last year. Sorry but I don't know what's involved in replacing it but it must be simple as my Volve dealer changed the pump in half an hour while I waited.
2010 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (MY11) Black - SOLD
Tiggerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 17:50   #5
sheikhr

Southport Volvo

Many Thanks. that really is helpful.

Are you able to describe how to access it. Is there any need to remove bumpers/ wheel arches or just simply get under it and the bottom of the washer bottle and pump is all pretty visible an accessible?

Would definitely opt for the ford version! ive seen one on ebay as well and i think it looks similar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-XC90-D5-...1%7C240%3A1318

Are you able to confirm

thanks again
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 18:23   #6
southportvolvo
Trader

Thumbs up It looks o.k

It's all pretty visible once the undertray is removed, not too bad.

The washer pump does like right, ask the seller if it's possible to provide a part number to double check and check it against the two part numbers
southportvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 22:20   #7
sheikhr

great....is it possib;e to describe how you remove the undertray.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 23:43   #8
SED5

Thumbs up Washer pump

Hi I changed my washer pump in the summer, its not too bad a job I am lucky enough to have a copy of Vardis and used this as a guide ........ the pump is located at the bottom of the washer resevoir on the drivers side if the car ..there is no need to remove the resevoir to change the pump
1. REMOVE THE FRONT LOWER BUMPER THIS IS HELD BT ONE "RIVET" USE A SMALL SCREW DRIVER TO PUSH OUT THE CENTRE OF THE "RIVET" YOU CAN THEN PULL THE BUMPER SECTION DOWN AND OUT TO RELEASE THE CLIPS MOLDED ON ITS TOP EDGE ...REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE PARKING SENSOR IF FITTED
2.THE WASHER PUMP IS A SIMPLE PUSH FIT INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE RESEVOIR ( ITS ON THE SIDE, THE PUMP AT THE FRONT IS FOR THE HEADLAMPS) THE GROMMIT IT PUSHES INTO DOUBLES AS A MESH FILTER FOR THE PUMP EASE THE PUMP OUT OF RESEVOIR AND ALLOW IT TO DRAIN
3.ITS A BIT TIGHT BUT YOU CAN RELEASE THE ELECTRICAL CONNECT AT THE TOP AND THE SUPPLY PIPES FOR THE FRONT AND REAR SCREENS THE PUMP OPERATES IN ONE DIRECTION FOR THE FRONT SCREEN AND REVERSES ROTATION FOR THE REAR
4. REFIT IS THE REVERSE OF REMOVAL YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE ONE OF THE SUPPLY PIPES AND PUT SOME WATER IN THE RESEVOIR TO PRIME THE PUMP WHEN REFITTING THE BUMPER REPLACE THE "RIVET" AND THEN INSERT THE PIN IN THE CENTRE OF THE "Rivet" ASSUMING YOU DID'NT LOSE IT LIKE I DID
I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS TOOK ME ABOUT AN HOUR FROM START TO FINISH WISH i HAD KOWN ABOUT THE FORD PART NO. dooooooh

Please feel to ask any questions I am happy to help

Many Thanks
Mike
SED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SED5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 11:45   #9
sheikhr

SED5

Thats extremely helpful as you've given a very detailed explanation of the procedure. I've ordered a workshop manual from www.electonicmanuals.co.uk. Will let everyone know if its any good (if and) when it comes.

Was hoping I didnt need to take off bumpers etc but on these newer cars...they certainly dont like to make things easy!

Before I go through the procedure, I'd like to rule out a simple blown out fuse.

Is anyone able to advise? ie does one fuse operate both the headlight washers and the windsheild washers? The manual suggests not. If one fuse operates both, my problem cant be the fuse as my headlight washers are still working.

The owners manual states "Fuse box in the passenger compartment within the sound barrier on the drivers side. The fuses are located within the sound barrier on the left hand side." "Fuse no 34. Washer Pump 15amp." The problem is that the diagram of the fuse box only goes up to fuse no 30 and this is the same when I look at the actual fuse box in the car! Ie fuse no 34 does not exist...does anyone know where this fuse no 34 is?

"Fuse box in the engine compartment. Fuse no 15. High pressure washer headlamps." I have checked this and its ok.

Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:40   #10
sheikhr

Hi

I can confirm Windscreen washer pump and headlight washer pump use different fuses. I managed to find fuse no 34. Its not on the diagram in the book but if you look in the fuse box, its to the left of the main fuses and is the 15amp larger fuse and its numbered (very small) 34 just above the fuse. I took a look yesterday with a lamp.

Going to order a pump and give it a go.

I took a look yesterday and could see the bottom of the washer pump reservoir with what looke dlike 2 outlets of the washer pump connected to pipes. its seemed possible to access by removing the underneath of the wheel arch.

Thanks