Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Long term reliability 10yrs on.

Views : 2388

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:15   #11
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Regarding the Ford comments I sold my 2001 focus three years ago with 150k on the clock and a hard life on the same engine gearbox, exhaust etc. New clutch had been fitted but was about 300 quid. Only thing outside of routine servicing was 2 plastic thermostat housings (15 quid each), and 2 resistor packs at about the same price. Never let me down and never stranded me. Purchased it years ago from a ford dealer and low miles.

Also had a mk2 focus sold at 100k with everything original including clutch and exhaust etc and am currently on 1.6tdci with 80k and no faults ever.

I wouldn’t knock Ford, I have found them extremely reliable.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:29   #12
oragex
Premier Member

In fact, the S80 V70 S60 XC70 and XC90 line up had almost nothing to do with Ford products, bare perhaps the brakes and a few electronic modules (the PEM being one of these, it's even marked 'Ford')

The S80 and the XC90 will have more issues of all these, because of their added sensors/complexity - the XC70 also comes close with it's AWD system.

If you want to talk Ford, then we should look at the smaller Volvos, the S40 and V50 : these two share a lot of things with Ford products, in fact I like to think of them as actually a Ford product with some make up and Volvo badges - were also quite more problematic.

Without trying to bash Ford, I'd say to me the S80 V70 S60 XC70 and XC90 were the real Volvo cars. The base of these cars was very well made, but then we have to remember these are European cars that use several european made parts that are shared with other european/german cars: these are known for causing issues at a certain mileage, usually past the 80k miles mark or so. So for an European car, the real Volvo models are reliable, more than a Mercedes, BMW or VW product and also much easier to work on.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 07:15   #13
green van man
Premier Member

Um, every bit I have replaced on my xc70 had FO MO CO stamped on it not volvo. Electrical components, suspension system all ford and stamped as such. The xc70 is a Mondeo mk4 in drag, the only volvo bits is the D5 engine and gearbox and even the engine was modified by ford to save money.

Saying that I have owned and driven more ford's than anything else, good reliable cars that were cheap to repair when theye did go wrong and very open to modifying for competition use just avoid the eco boost engines.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 14:31   #14
apersson850
Premier Member

The XC70 2008-2016, and its sister models, are heavily influenced by Ford.

I've had two front bearings, a broken cable (sharp plastic edge destroyed it), windscreen leak, broken rear spring, broken ground cable to tailgate, brake pads all around, some tires and lamps and a number of software fixes applied to my car.
It's now eight years old and have moved 275000 km.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 21:27   #15
Scooser

58 plate V70 2.4 D5 R-Design, only 60k miles. So, just over 10 years old.

It was my company car from new, and then I bought it from the company, so I’ve driven every mile in it. What’s gone wrong. Not a lot. Except for routine maintenance I’ve had;

Integrated child rear boost seat hinge fixed (warranty)
Rear coil spring (£150)
Positive battery terminal shoe (£13)

Edit : nearly forgot, one of the key fobs has packed up too.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 22:33   #16
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsk View Post
My S80 2.0D SE Lux is now 10 years old. I've had it from new. Did 10k miles per year early on, now my mileage has reduced significantly so in total I'm up to 65k. I know early on a lot of folks were suspicious about Ford cost-cutting and the effect it would have on reliability long term. The car has just sailed through its 10th annual service and MOT. Always serviced at a main dealer.

After a decade's ownership I can reflect on how things have gone so far. In the first 6 months I had to have the sloshing water behind the bulkhead fix and the camshaft sensor needed to be replaced. Since then it's just been routine servicing, 2 sets of tyres and rear brake pads. The main Ford weak point seems to be the rear trailing arm bushes which have been an advisory on my MOT for the past 3 years but are still soldiering on.

Is my experience typical?

Doubtless, having shared my experience something expensive will fall off or go bang next week...
I have an 07 D5, S80 and like yourself I am no longer doing the miles I used to do. Now at 81,000. Car is in excellent condition, full service history, and, touch wood, has been very reliable. Normally i would change my car after 3 years but here we are at nearly six years and I don't see the point of changing as I don't think I would get anything better. So I'm quite sure it will last a few years yet.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 22:19   #17
100K+
Premier Member

Out of curiosity decided to check up on the warrantee direct web site reliability page.. interesting reading...

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/

Low figure better than higher, and 100 is the industry average.

Volvo V70 P2 = 79
Volvo V70 P3 = 99
Volvo XC60 08 on =112

Bmw 5 series 03 on 158
Audi A6 04 on 188
Merc C class 07 on 91.

What came as a surprise was that now the XC 60 has slipped down the rankings. I bought a 2014 V70 D5 and just after purchase I noticed the XC 60 had a lower rating than the V70 I bought and I also believe at the time both cars were lower than the V70 P2 I also run.

How things change The good old P2 comes out tops

Cheers
Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 10:53   #18
Potski

I think adsk has a valid point - time as well as mileage take a toll on things. Damp, corrosion, dust, heat cycles & so on. So a 10 year low mileage car may actually be prone to more issues than one more heavily used.

My experience so far has been very good. I have the unloved mongrel D2 S80 powershift models on a '13 plate. Its now closing in on 150k Miles - 130k of those in my hands. I love it & as far as reliability is concerned its been by far the best car I've ever had - P2 S80 & V70's included. So far apart from the routine consumables of discs pads, tyres etc all its needed is one front sidelight bulb, one battery and a one rear drop link. FOMOCO, Volvo, Toyota, Honda or any other manufacturer you care to mention I'd consider that as close to perfect as you're going to get!
Potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 13:38   #19
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsk View Post
My S80 2.0D SE Lux is now 10 years old. I've had it from new. Did 10k miles per year early on, now my mileage has reduced significantly so in total I'm up to 65k. I know early on a lot of folks were suspicious about Ford cost-cutting and the effect it would have on reliability long term. The car has just sailed through its 10th annual service and MOT. Always serviced at a main dealer.

After a decade's ownership I can reflect on how things have gone so far. In the first 6 months I had to have the sloshing water behind the bulkhead fix and the camshaft sensor needed to be replaced. Since then it's just been routine servicing, 2 sets of tyres and rear brake pads. The main Ford weak point seems to be the rear trailing arm bushes which have been an advisory on my MOT for the past 3 years but are still soldiering on.

Is my experience typical?

Doubtless, having shared my experience something expensive will fall off or go bang next week...
Sounds similar to my experience. V70 SE Lux D5, 156k, registered Dec 2017. I've done the following, not due to MOT failure, but because they annoyed me:
Windscreen replaced due to leak (common)
Rear trailing arm bushes (squeaking)
Replaced swirl flap assembly (improved efficiency)

The only failure was wiring to the camshaft sensor (nothing wrong with sensor itself). And a coolant hose near the EGR sprang a leak to due becoming perished (due to excess oily gunge in that area).

Most recently, the rear brake calipers were binding a bit, so they needed a bit of TLC to get them moving again.

I also have a Focus 1.6TDCi estate 2010, 55k owned since new. Here's the list of parts that have needed replacing:
Alternator
Window washer pump

I'm not worried about having Ford parts in my Volvo.

It would be nice to be clear which parts are Ford, and which are Volvo, as I'd read conflicting information about this. From what I can tell, Volvo built the body, engine/gearbox, wheel rims, seats, interior etc...and Ford did the brakes, plastic engine parts, electrics, suspension, driveshafts/axles/hubs
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 09:37   #20
RathbranD5

2007’ S80 D5 here, most reliable car I have ever owned

Usual consumables, tyres, brakes batteries, the odd drop link and rear trailing arm bushes replaced.

The only 3 items that have failed on me were the left hand indicator stalk with the rotary control for the trip computer, a parking sensor due water ingress and the steering lock which needed replacing.

Age gets to cars more than mileage I believe. Currently on 240k km which I have put 145k of them on it in the last 4.5 years. Most reliable car with the best seats I’ve owned. Had a L322 Range Rover previously and the seats are better than those over long journeys. I’ve considered changing it for something newer but the reliability and comfort means I keep deciding to keep it,

Great car

Last edited by RathbranD5; Mar 27th, 2019 at 09:44.
RathbranD5 is offline   Reply With Quote